It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Initiative 594(Washington State) -Gun Background Checks- What You Need To Know

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Initiative 594(Washington State) - Gun Background Checks- What You Need To Know

The incentive to be voted on November 4th 2014.

“I would imagine this will be the one of the most expensive initiative campaigns in the country because of what it symbolically stands for,” University of Washington political science professor Matt Barreto said.
- Source

What is Initiative 594?
It would require background checks on all gun sales as well as transfers in Washington State. This would include at gun shows, online sales and private sales-which specific "exceptions". Supporters, including Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, have donated almost $4 Million plus pledges to support this initiative.

Iniciative Measure 594-PDF

The Campaign Page

To counter this there is Initiative 591.

What is Initiative 591?
This initiative, by the chairman Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms Alan Gottlieb, would prevent the state of Washington from adopting background checks that go beyond the current national standard. This campaign however, has only raised just over $1 million dollars.

Protects against illegal search and seizure

Inicitive 591- Wagunrights- Protect Our Rights

Inicitive 591- text on site page

The concern addressed is that Initiative 594 is being bought.

"It obviously concerns me when very wealthy people try to buy an election," he said.

-the chairman of Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms Alan Gottlieb

Please see this: Link to a breakdown posted on a forum-thanks to OP for it!

Sources and information:

Washington gun initiatives squared off

Gun Rights Supports Planning Their Own Initiative

Seattle- CBSlocal

Paul Allen Gives $500,000

I haven't seen this discussed here yet but figured since we have residents of the state, and not only that it could spark other states interest in the same measure if successful, that it's a very important issue to bring up.
edit on 19-8-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-8-2014 by dreamingawake because: Added more

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Its because we don't mind background checks.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

We? Maybe not in Co., heard of how they still have issues over Gun Rights there.

There's more to it than just that. Taking the time to read helps

edit on 19-8-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

I will bet the people in Connecticut do now.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I read it, it's a useless feel-good measure that accomplishes nothing while needlessly complicating private gun sales. It won't stop criminals from handing some C-notes to their buddys to get their guns, so what's the point ? I know people who can't pass a background check, and I've known them to get guns anyway. Sure, it helps somewhat to prevent just anyone from walking into a gun store and buying a piece. But this won't really help anything. a reply to: dreamingawake

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Yes, criminals will still be able to get guns. That should be one thing that tells you this isn't really about public safety. The process of gun control is a slow moving machine, with multiple parts. They tick away, and tick away. Until eventually only the most upstanding adherents to government can own guns. Don't worry about criminals getting them at that point, as the push for gun safety tech is also happening.

I know I've linked this before but I think it's a good visualization.
All gears flow into the Background Check System.

The Presidents Plan to Reduce Gun Violence Visualized

Based off of, The Presidents Plan to Reduce Gun Violence PDF

The B.R.A.I.N. Initiative was not part of that plan but in the news at the time. I felt it fit well enough, what with gun violence viewed as a public health crisis and being researched by the CDC. I highly recommend reading the PDF!
edit on 19-8-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: typo

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
These laws are not about what is needed...they are about what the government wants.....which is more control of everyone....in every way......every move they make is centered on that one aim.....
and the people mean absolutely nothing to them.....

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

That is exactly right.

The end game isn't stopping violence or curbing it, or even trying to slow it down. For proof refer to how Obama's drones killed dozens of children in Pakistan the same day he was on the tube telling everyone that "guns are hurting children and we can't allow that"

Getting the general public to be defensless is the agenda, and the goal. It makes killing countrymen so much easier when that day arrives, as Chairman Mao, Pol Pot, and Hitler and Stalin will attest to.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
What people need to know about background checks is:

We have all been tried and convicted in a kangaroo court of public opinion for 'crimes' we have never committed.

Which is why every time we buy a gun today we have to prove our 'innocence'.

The background check is paying a sentence for a crime someone else has done.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Not really, just the magazine thing is a problem.Once we get this nest of progs kicked out we'll fix their little protest,like we did 2 of their politicians.

top topics

join