It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTF? Electric shock devices used in US courts???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Ok. I feel like I've been living under a rock or something...

Maryland Judge Robert Nalley ordered officer to shock defendant in court

Maryland Circuit Court Judge Robert C. Nalley — who in 2009 deflated the tire of a Toyota parked outside the Charles County courthouse – recently ordered a court security officer to administer an electrical shock to a defendant inside his courtroom.

On Nalley’s order, the Charles County Sheriff’s Department officer pushed a button that administered an electric shock to Delvon L. King, 25, of Waldorf. King, who is not a lawyer, represented himself against gun charges.

The incident occurred July 23 during jury selection, but apparently before any potential jurors were brought into the courtroom.

In the moments before Nalley ordered King to be shocked, the defendant did not threaten Nalley or anyone else, according to the court transcript. King did not make any threatening physical moves toward Nalley or anyone else, and did not attempt to flee, according to the defendant and his parents, Alexander and Doris King who were in the courtroom and witnessed the attack.

The article continues:

Nalley did not warn King in the moments before he ordered the officer to shock King, the transcript obtained by Baltimore Post-Examiner shows. The defendant was trying to cite a court case, and Nalley cut him off.

“Stop,” Nalley said, according to the transcript.

“… principles of common right and common reason are …” King said.

“Mr. Sheriff … ” Nalley said

“… null and void,” King continued.

“…do it,” Nalley ordered. “Use it.”

“(DEFENDANT SCREAMS).”

On Nalley’s order, a uniformed Charles County Sheriff’s Department officer pressed a button, which released a charge from an electronic device authorities had attached to King’s right leg. King crumpled to the ground in agony.

What country is this again????

Am I the only one who didn't know these devices were being used in US courtrooms?

Wow. Just wow.
edit on 19-8-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
WTF is right. Yeah some people should be taken out of the courtroom and charged with contempt, but shocking them into submission at trial is something I wouldn't have imagined. I feel like this is a joke or hoax or something.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
WTF is right. Yeah some people should be taken out of the courtroom and charged with contempt, but shocking them into submission at trial is something I wouldn't have imagined. I feel like this is a joke or hoax or something.

That sums up my thoughts as well

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Yes, the shock band was excessive. I want to make that clear.

But this, for me, tells the story:

Early in their exchange, King asked Nalley for his “Superior Court GA 15 Certified Delegation of Authority Order.” -

That's pretty much the first move for anyone trying to use the "Sovereign Citizen" defense, sometimes known as "Freeman on the Land," or some such. Those are the people who say "My name isn't spelled with capital letters as on the summons, so you have the wrong guy."

I've seen a few of the videos on this type of defense posted here, and absolutely truthfully, if he had tried that stuff on me, I would have said within two minutes, "Keep up that nonsense babbling and you get ten days for contempt of court."

I really understand why the judge was getting fed to the teeth. Too bad he used the shocker, though.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I don't even recognize what country I live in anymore.

We really have taken some giant steps backwards, haven't we?

Stunned. ( No pun intended. )

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Here's Some More Reading About The Devices In Question.

I can almost understand the need if you have someone with a violent history in courtrooms that gets completely out of control, but as a way to just shut someone up? No. I also think leg shackles and handcuffs would do just fine. If someone is making that big of an ass out of themselves then yes, they should be shackled.

There is no need to LET these people get to the point where they need to be shocked. Either shackle them up or trust them not to flip out.

Article points out that there is no way to be sure that these things are used appropriately. Inmates can be made to wear them when visiting with their lawyer, during transport etc.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Wow.
Just wow.
The article goes on and adds a lot of gobble de gook which presents the justification for such a device if not for it's use in this situation. Blah blah blah. A shock device on a non violent and innocent until proven guilty citizen.
Hear the doors of justice slamming shut???

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
Here's Some More Reading About The Devices In Question.

I can almost understand the need if you have someone with a violent history in courtrooms that gets completely out of control, but as a way to just shut someone up? No. I also think leg shackles and handcuffs would do just fine. If someone is making that big of an ass out of themselves then yes, they should be shackled.

There is no need to LET these people get to the point where they need to be shocked. Either shackle them up or trust them not to flip out.

Article points out that there is no way to be sure that these things are used appropriately. Inmates can be made to wear them when visiting with their lawyer, during transport etc.

they didn't shackle him because he was representing himself and in those situations they use the shocker to make sure the person doesn't try to escape or get violent.
This judge ordered a shock to simply shut the man up which is wrong

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

This does sound like an excellent way to subdue a hostile in the courtroom.
It would also limit the chances of fleeing.

However, this sounds like overuse of authority - much.

So now your day in court can be nice or nasty - depending on the Judge and your careful choice of words ?

What is happening in your country ? ( rhetorical question )

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Wow! Is this actually true? You know, I used roll my eyes a bit when people would talk about SHTF. But It's feeling mighty thick in the air right now. I think everything is at a max boiling point. My opinion, either we take a big step back and say, ok things are getting out of control and let's think things through here.Or, it all boils over.This is ridiculous. Let's see if this story gets out...I'm going with big changes soon.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

Yeah I know, I disagree with it. If someone is violent or has a history of violence in a courtroom they should be restrained or there should be multiple bailiffs sitting right next to the person. I'm sure seeing someone shocked by an electric belt is going to do more damage to the guys case than having the jury see him with extra police/handcuffs on.

It took a few seconds before anyone realized what was going on. Elsewhere in the courtroom, a deputy had accidentally grazed the remote control, triggering Weaver's belt. Lieutenant Michael Ryan of the Broward County Sheriff's Department does not believe the shock device was fully activated. "If it was," he says, "he would have went down in a heartbeat."

From the link I posted.
edit on 1920140820141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

If this is true then it is shocking (pun). What's going on in the U.S. at the moment. It's getting crazy over there.

This is just a little too crazy though, sure it's not a joke or something? I hope so. Nice find.

edit on 19-8-2014 by Daavid because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
One of the things that is interesting to me is how ATS finds an example or five or twenty, then says "This is what the United States has become. We're losing all our freedoms. We need a revolution." When all that happened was that a crabby old judge was called out of retirement to hear a nut babble nonsense, and he lost it.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I hope this man sues and wins all the judges money. The problem in Maryland is all the attorney's and judges play golf together.

The cases are won or lost before you ever get to court. Our judicial system is a complete joke.

Personally I would have pretended to have a heart attack. And file charges immediately.
edit on 19-8-2014 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

Agreed for the most part. I don't think it's a 'sign of the times' or that things are getting worse. I do think that the belts are a bad idea and way too easy to abuse though.

I'm glad it's been brought to my attention, but I'm not going to use it as an example of a police state. People seem to forget how much worse things were back in the day. Easy to forget the fire hoses.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

With all due respect, I'm not nearly as surprised by 'nut babble nonsense' as I am by our apparent chosen method to silence it in our courts.

Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like something straight out of a science fiction novel or a drama about the Soviet Union, China, or N. Korea.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

Personally I would have pretended to have a heart attack. And file charges immediately.

And when it's shown that you didn't you would be in hot water.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
And I thought the kangaroo was indigenous to Australia.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: mattsawaufo

No kidding.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join