It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flooding in Phoenix, AZ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Flooding in Phoenix, AZ! Not much of an article, just a slideshow showing pictures of the deluge.

Vehicle traverse a flooded Tatum Blvd. north of Pinncle Peak Road Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2014, in Phoenix. The National Weather Service issued a flash flood warning for much of the Phoenixtro area and north of the city where up to 8 inches of rain fell by midday in some of the mountainous regions along the interstate. (AP Photo/The Arizona Republic, Rob Schumacher)

I was born in Phoenix and in growing up there, I don't remember it ever being this bad. The climate is definitely changing. I wonder what other aspects of the climate will change, what will happen to the environment, and what those changes will be.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I lived in Phoenix for 15 years. The streets there are not built to sustain the heavy rains in the Southwest at this time of year (no drains), so every street becomes a river. I was in a flood there once many years ago. We had a HEAVY monsoon here the other day. 1.3 inches inside of an hour. So, this doesn't surprise me too much.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
We need all the rain we can get. Only thing that sucks is nobody knows how to drive in the rain out here. Guys in lifted Fords will go 85 on the freeway when its a 65 zone in pouring rain then wonder why there truck didnt stop in 60 feet when they slam on their brakes and rear end somebody. Then you got others who go 25 in a 45 because they dont have windshield whipers that work because the sun dry rotted them since last years rain storm.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Once I got of it was either 7th St instead of 7th Ave or the other way. My car was up to the mirrors in water!! Its not just the streets not made for rain, the ground gets turned into baked clay and can't asorb any moisture.

I hope the water goes somewhere it can be useful. It is a dessert after all.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
They were born in Phoenix and grew up there and never saw flooding like that?!?!

Only every year when the Monsoons come through does it flood.

It has been happening every year since Jesus was in grade school.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

I was born in Phoenix and in growing up there, I don't remember it ever being this bad. The climate is definitely changing. I wonder what other aspects of the climate will change, what will happen to the environment, and what those changes will be.

Uhm. Can the climate change spin BS be any more transparent?

I've lived in Arizona all my life and this happens every year--just not in the same place every year. Different parts of the state get hit worse than others with each passing year. One side of town can experience torrential flooding and the other side can be bone dry.

Makes me wonder if the writer has ever lived here at all...

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I don't remember it ever being this bad. The climate is definitely changing.

You know, this is BS. That area has its own version of a 'monsoon' season, every summer. Phoenix floods if one drop of rain falls. I'm not saying the climate is not changing; just that this person is delusional.

Source: lived there for almost 20 years.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: mwood
They were born in Phoenix and grew up there and never saw flooding like that?!?!

Only every year when the Monsoons come through does it flood.

It has been happening every year since Jesus was in grade school.

Well, I was born there in 1974 so I missed 1966. I was too young so I have no memory of 80. I moved to LA in 1995 so I wasn't there in Phoenix from then on. So that's my excuse......smile.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I just moved to Tucson about year ago so this is my first monsoon season. We have rivers that control the water that are dry the rest of the year I think there're called wash outs. But you still hear of flash flooding and such. I think the people in Phoenix are glad its raining a lot. Its been a bad couple years for the monsoon from what I hear. They probably are not glad about the damage and danger but I was almost cutler shocked when I moved here from Chicago. People are happy and get excited about the rain here, When it rained in Chicago it was just a crappy day and you couldn't do anything outside. But it's been kind of a mediocre monsoon here in Tucson From what people tell me it should storm just about every day in a good monsoon season but its been off and on here. Hope every one is ok there.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

originally posted by: lostbook

Uhm. Can the climate change spin BS be any more transparent?

I've lived in Arizona all my life and this happens every year--just not in the same place every year. Different parts of the state get hit worse than others with each passing year. One side of town can experience torrential flooding and the other side can be bone dry.

Makes me wonder if the writer has ever lived here at all...

Of course, I lived there. I was born in the Maricopa County Hospital. There's a Zoo in Phoenix built into the side of a mountain( might actually be Tempe); I used to go hiking with my uncle on South Mountain. Yeah, Monsoons happen and so do Dust Storms, but Monsoons don't happen this severe as I remember. I haven't lived there for 20yrs. so maybe my judgement is a bit impaired. However, to dismiss this as "Climate Change" tom-foolery because some of my talking points are skewed is a mistake on your part. Climate Change is real but you have to look at World-wide Weather patterns to see it.

Here's a page on NASA's website where Climate Change is discussed. You can see where they show that the Arctic Sea Ice has decreased by 11.5% per decade, Carbon Dioxide is up 330 parts per million, the Sea level is up 3.16 mm per year, the Global Temperature is up 1.4 degrees since 1880, and land ice is down 100 billion tons per year. Call it what you want but it's happening.

climate.nasa.gov...
edit on 19-8-2014 by lostbook because: forgot link

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Despite this flooding, and other similar flooding happening in many other areas I wonder where all that water is going into, because as I showed on a recent thread most of the aquifers all around the U.S. are at well below the average. So where is this water going to? I know how groundwater and aquifers work, but in most of those areas where flooding has occurred the water can stay in many of these areas for days and weeks and is slowly absorbed into the layers of Earth until they supposedly arrive at aquifers where they reach impermeable, confining, layers. Yet our aquifers don't seem to be refilling as they should. If this trend continues we are in deep $#1t. (pardon my French) Flooding is obviously bad, and I feel for all those people who are affected by it, yet it is a lot worse to have no potable water and that's were we are going to within 10 years if we don't find out what the heck is going on down there.

edit on 19-8-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

Despite this flooding, and other similar flooding happening in many other areas I wonder where all that water is going into, because as I showed on a recent thread most of the aquifers all around the U.S. are at well below the average. So where is this water going to? I know how groundwater and aquifers work, but in most of those areas where flooding has occurred the water can stay in many of these areas for days and weeks and is slowly absorbed into the layers of Earth until they supposedly arrive at aquifers where they reach impermeable, confining, layers. Yet our aquifers don't seem to be refilling as they should. If this trend continues we are in deep $#1t. (pardon my French) Flooding is obviously bad, and I feel for all those people who are affected by it, yet it is a lot worse to have no potable water and that's were we are going to within 10 years if we don't find out what the heck is going on down there.

Hm.m.m.m....I wish I knew where it is going. Maybe into the atmosphere....?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: BGTM90
I just moved to Tucson about year ago so this is my first monsoon season. We have rivers that control the water that are dry the rest of the year I think there're called wash outs. But you still hear of flash flooding and such. I think the people in Phoenix are glad its raining a lot. Its been a bad couple years for the monsoon from what I hear. They probably are not glad about the damage and danger but I was almost cutler shocked when I moved here from Chicago. People are happy and get excited about the rain here, When it rained in Chicago it was just a crappy day and you couldn't do anything outside. But it's been kind of a mediocre monsoon here in Tucson From what people tell me it should storm just about every day in a good monsoon season but its been off and on here. Hope every one is ok there.

I lived in Tucson for awhile. I remember when the Monsoons started, it was like clockwork and it rained a lot. Around 12 years ago or so, it changed dramatically.
Here in Phoenix, we have been getting these dust storms (haboobs), and then it looks like a storm is going to roll in. Then nothing. The heat island effect keeps the clouds away.
I welcome any rain we can get out here in the desert.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
It's correct to say this is nothing new. There have been much worse storms here during monsoon season (which it is now) in the past. Lived here for 26 years now, 1997 was a particularly bad year (also the year of the infamous phoenix lights)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The cause??...heres's your answer..

poleshift.ning.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Buddyman
The cause??...heres's your answer..

poleshift.ning.com...

No here's the answer
Phoenix is stormy in the summer.
phoenix.about.com...