It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Did the Syrian government give the western hostages to ISIS? [James Foley and Joel Soltoff]

page: 1

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:10 PM

The Wire are hinting that the recently killed hostage James Foley was possibly in the hands of the Syrian government with another hostage (presumably Joel Sotloff) - before somehow being handed over to Isis.

In the video, the group also shows journalist Steven Joel Soltoff, a journalist who worked for Time, The National Interest, and Media Line. He last tweeted on August 3, 2013. Soltoff went missing on August 4, 2013 outside of Aleppo, Syria. His family was aware of the situation and was advised not to publicize the information for his safety. He was held in Raqqa.

Now check this link from 2013.

The family of a New Hampshire journalist abducted in Syria on Thanksgiving last year says they believe they now know where he is. James Foley’s family on Friday claimed the Syrian government is holding him in a military detention center.

The wire says that the family of James Foley were advised to keep quiet to avoid disrupting a 'delicate situation'

quote from the wire.

Based on what we have learned it is likely that Jim is being held with one or more Western journalists, including most likely at least one other American journalist." At that time, Balboni would not disclose the name, or names, of the "other American journalist" citing a "sensitive and complex" situation. If this is the case, it is unclear how Foley and Soltoff changed hands from the Syrian government to ISIL.

Very disturbing. Especially considering how complicated the situation is in Iraq and especially Syria. The last time I checked, Isis were not only fighting Pro-Assad forces, but also fighting some other rebels in the area. So what gives?

Why has someone in the Syrian government handed over two prisoners in a Syrian military compound over to Isis?

RIP James
edit on 19-8-2014 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:13 PM

originally posted by: mr-lizard

Why has someone in the Syrian government handed over two prisoners in a Syrian military compound over to Isis?

Because Assad was looking for a reason for the west to invade and dethrone himself. Perhaps, if enough people believe.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:19 PM
a reply to: mr-lizard

I wouldn't be surprised although maybe ISIS actually 'TOOK' him from the Syrian regime or even the Syrian regime has actually folded and we just don't get it………

Sad day for humanity in my opinion…

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:57 PM
Is this a joke, so your saying that assad gave an americain prisoner to the people that where armed by the usa and are part of the civil war in syria.

Plz give your head a shake.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:02 PM
not a good sign

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:13 PM
Easy explanation would be a prisoner exchange.

Two western journalists for some Assad supporters.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:25 PM
We have contrary reports.

One states that he was kidnapped outside of Aleppo, and held in Raqqa. The other states that he was kidnapped and held in a Syrian detention facility near Damascus. Either way, the situation happened in 2012, meaning that the Syrian government was most probably behind the abduction.

If Foley was held in Damascus, the Syrian government likely engaged in a prisoner exchange. If he was held in Raqqa, it is likely that the location of his detention was taken by ISIS fighters during the battle of Raqqa.We must keep in mind that Raqqa was taken by Jihadists in May 2013, and is now the capital city of ISIS' declared caliphate.

Either way, this is an appalling situation, and my thoughts are with Foley's family. Here's hoping Soltoff can come out of it alive.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:28 PM

Sadly I didn't even know there were hostages, are there others I don't know about?

Did you guys know there were hostages?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:08 AM

I probably would do the same thing, assuming this is true

Think about it, you have US trying to kill you, destroy your country, which they pretty much already did,

SOOOOO why wouldn't you do bad things to United States or US people.

I mean, lets be real here, war swings both ways

top topics