It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Raid & Detain' Is Now The Standard Procedure For Internet Trash-Talk?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Just another story about a SWAT raid. This case starts with the internet and a message forum. Someone posts on the forum that the police better watch out because they have explosives (made in America!). Well, when the police department in question got a hold of this information they went right into action. By action, did they do any actual police work? You know, investigating the residence, maybe a stake out, perhaps a knock and greet?

Nah, once they got the IP address of the poster they donned their military style SWAT gear and smashed a glass door and "detained" and 18 year old girl and her grandmother. Turns out the internet tough guy was their neighbor, 31 year old man, who accessed their unprotected wireless internet via his smart phone. The same SWAT team later raided his parents home and the FBI later arrested him (story). Let that be a lesson to anyone who hasn't password protected their wireless router.

The real slap in the face is the end of the story where the grandmother describes the police high fiving each other on an obvious job well done.

But seriously, how hard would it have been to do some kind of investigation other than getting an address? When did real police work cease to exist? If you're gonna go after every online user because they made a baseless, anonymous, threat without doing an proper investigation then your calendar is gonna be full with raids and lawsuits.

The good news is, obviously, a lawsuit have been filed.

See video of the raid here.

Swat Team Raids Innocent Womans Home Lawsuit Filed

edit on 19-8-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Thankfully they weren't killed.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
It's almost incredible that they keep lucking out and accidentally raiding harmless people. I know a few law abiding citizens in bad areas who would never even imagine they might be raided by the police but are ready to blow away a home invader on a moment's notice. Keep rolling those dice without due diligence and sooner or later you're bound to crap out. "Mrs Doright, we regret to inform you that your husband was killed by a retired officer from his own department who happened to live next door to an internet troll. His sacrifice was completely meaningless and we're so sorry that we've formed a committee to discuss whether we should be sending police into these situations with zero recon or intelligence". That'll play well in the news.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
There lucky they didn't own a dog.

You would think this behavior would be worth protesting over

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
They could have done a better job. But, I'm glad they got the idiot who made the threats.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Wow they caught searched and cuffed a DANGEROUS criminal @1;00
Good job piggies!!

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

Yeah, great they got the guy, but can they get a conviction based on the internet after it already led them to the wrong person once?

What value is there in raiding someone who breaks the law if
1. It makes his neighbors feel LESS safe, and
2. The criminal promptly goes back on the street with a brand new axe to grind against the police?

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: The Vagabond

How about they do actual police work before jumping the gun and forming a SWAT team to raid a home? How often does this happen in America? How often are the SWAT teams who raid the wrong house held accountable for their actions? Hell, how often do those SWAT teams feel any remorse or embarrassment? Judging by this case they congrat each other on a job well done by admiring how well they did shattering a glass door.

That's the real problem. They don't feel they are ever in the wrong and because of it they will never work on improving their mistakes. They congratulate failure with a high five...

We're F'd.

edit on 19-8-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
This is why nobody likes the police. This is why nobody trust the police. This is why there are riots in Ferguson.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

We are witnessing the sublte evolution that TPTB have been orchestrating through our police departments since their inception in the 60's. It is absolutely disgusting what they have been doing to the people of this country!

Naturally enough they used the SWAT teams in poor communities that are predominately African american, under the guise of going after drug dealers. While conveniently leaving out the method in which those drugs are disseminated throughout said communities, I am looking at you CIA back in the day, now the DEA.

They paint the SWAT teams as heros, showing them taking care of hostage situations and the like. This is true to an extent, we do have a need for an intelligent team that can be used in extreme situations so I do not wish to come across as though I do not understand the need for this. However under the guise of that type of team they have incrementally began using excessive force all over the place, this is not reported as it needs to be for this goes against the script.

Now they have a trained army of what amounts to the SS. That are sent in to harass and intimidate the people of America, which they have done quite well. I do believe that we are going to see significant backlash, there are more examples of this happening on a regular basis, there is no longer a method to stay asleep, the whole racial divide is an MSM myth more than anything, fabricated to continue the whole divide and conquer methodology.

It is quite clear that this is a war waged upon all of us by a very select few. Long live the proletariat!!!

edit on America/ChicagoTuesdayAmerica/Chicago08America/Chicago831pmTuesday10 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: The Vagabond

Yeah, great they got the guy, but can they get a conviction based on the internet after it already led them to the wrong person once?

What value is there in raiding someone who breaks the law if
1. It makes his neighbors feel LESS safe, and
2. The criminal promptly goes back on the street with a brand new axe to grind against the police?

Like I said, they could have done a better job.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

They could have done the job period. Kicking in doors and waving your weapon around is not the job. It's what they thought the job was when they went to kindergarten in a store bought costume for what do i wanna be when I grow up day.
To be a law enforcement officer who doesn't investigate alleged violations of the law is like being an exterminator who doesn't mix poison before he walks around your house waving his wand around.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I know there are a few decent cops in general out there, but this story makes me hate police even more. They think that because they have a little bit of "Authoritah!!!" they can do whatever they want it's sick.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Beach Bum

There are great cops, no doubt. It sucks that right now the bad ones have put me in a position where I can't just sing the praises of such people, including some fellow ATS members who I'm fairly sure I'd never have a problem with based on all the exposure to their attitudes and beliefs that I've had.

But even the good ones make me a little nervous now, because while they won't be the one to beat an innocent person to death, how could they not help control a scene when all they know is that a comrade has called for help. Even the innocent ones are in part enabling a problem. Why haven't the freaking oath keepers declared a police strike at this point???

top topics

join