It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimusCrime

I shared the meme that shows the absurdity of the challenge they chose. They could have done lots of other things so I'm not side tracking anything. If anything Im keeping your thread up for more "awareness" right?

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: howmuch4another

I guess you don't understand. In order to get something to catch on virally, so that it passes on and everyone does it ... like planking, remember that?

You have to find something that everyone can do and the try to put their own spin on and then pass on like a giant video chain letter, and if it goes far enough and everyone donates along the way. I don't see what harm it does, and the ALS folks get money.

So, harummph away.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

tell that to the poor families who lost their kids because they fell off balconies and bridges to their death because of planking.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: bellagirl

Hey, nothing excuses stupid.

There is plenty of stupid to go around, but it isn't the fault of planking is people put themselves in dangerous positions doing it. That isn't planking's fault. No one forced anyone to do it. I certainly never did it, but then, I don't feel the need to try to make myself famous on the Internet, either.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Fairpoint you make and genuine sympathies to the loss of your friends mother…………..

I come from the postion that WHY do celebrities and the media have to ''LATCH on '' to a craze or some herd mentality before becoming a Champion of some cause ….??

There are MANY MANY people out there now whom have no worries financially or otherwise whom seem to revel in being part 'of the herd' when a noble cause comes along……

wether it's Bill Gates (building a contraption) or some other ''celebrity'' garnishing the limelight and ultimately self-publicity because it puts them back in touch with the everyday common man………..

I'm just cynical and think that maybe the more fortunate in society should stop buying their fifth or sixth car, third or fourth home, 4 or 5 inch gold chain and actually go out and SEARCH out good causes………..

it just smacks of self publicity to me when SO MANY other ''unheard'' of people do GREAT things everyday……

Cheers

PDUK

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I think it's pretty stupid, but yet smart way to raise money for a cause. The sheep do seem to follow the celebs, don't they?

I donate to the causes of my choice, and yes I research them. I want to know where my money is going. When was the last time you saw a advert for the "Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind"?

No offense to those who support the fight against ALS...but there are other battles out there as well.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I guess you don't understand. In order to get something to catch on virally, so that it passes on and everyone does it ... like planking, remember that?

You have to find something that everyone can do and the try to put their own spin on and then pass on like a giant video chain letter, and if it goes far enough and everyone donates along the way. I don't see what harm it does, and the ALS folks get money.

So, harummph away.

No I guess you don't understand my point that they could have used a different tactic that didn't waste a valuable natural resource.

To put the waste this campaign has caused into simple terms, let’s just assume everyone is using a five gallon bucket. Now multiply that number by the more than 1.2 million videos shared on Facebook since June 1. Based on that assumption (5 x 1,200,000), over 6 million gallons of water have been poured out in the name of Lou Gehrig’s Disease. The average American household uses 320 gallons per day, which means that based on this estimation, nearly 19,000 homes’ daily water usage has been wasted. And that’s not even taking into account that videos posted online often depict multiple people, sometimes even entire sororities or fraternities, taking part in the ice bucket challenge, often using more than one bucket per video.

lbpost.com...

harummph indeed...

edit on 8/19/2014 by howmuch4another because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I just hope the money gets to where it was intended. I lost faith in a lot of Charities (although I still give every Christmas) When I see the CEO's making Millions, (especially to an organization that was part of my life.)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Obviously a mathematician at heart………….

Good point made though especially after a previous thread on ATS was suggesting HUGE water losses due to an unknown reason..

PDUK

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: PurpleDog UK

that was a quote from the link. I just blew the embed

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

It’s personal. The ALS ice-bucket challenge is not just about raising money to combat a horrible disease. It’s about a person

Jason Becker wrote this in the midst of suffering from ALS, seriously this music is insane and he wrote it while he could barely breath

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Meh...I've swam through the Arctic Enema during Tough Mudder. A bucket of ice water is not a challenge.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimusCrimeWhy do people have to make a spectacle out of everything they do? Can't just give to the cause? Nah! Let's waste millions of gallons of water; during a water shortage.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It's a good cause when people actually donate and do the challenge - seems like too many actually just dumping water over their heads so they can post it on FB.

Sad about one of the founders of the challenge who just died in an accident.

Ice Challenge Pioneer Diving Accident

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
My wife did hers yesterday and accidentally said ATS instead of ALS

I thought that was funny

Aaaaand I see this thread has turned, I'm outta here.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

It's become a social fad for the sheeple. "Look at me, I can be like a celebrity."

No thanks. If I want to donate money I will, if I don't then I won't. I don't need to be like everyone else to have a false sense of community on the Intertubes.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: WCmutant

It's become a social fad for the sheeple. "Look at me, I can be like a celebrity."

No thanks. If I want to donate money I will, if I don't then I won't. I don't need to be like everyone else to have a false sense of community on the Intertubes.

So let me get this straight. Because other people want to do a certain thing that you don't, you call them names ? Very short sighted. Show me where a celebrity started this?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
As someone who regularly does 'dousing' as a form of immune system enhancement, who has dived into icy mountain streams, and the worst, someone who was on the Swim Team, these ice bucket challenges are really lame as a 'sacrifice'.

Now, I'm kind of kidding around, because this is a good 'viral' way to raise money for a charity.

But try being on the swim team where you have to arrive at 7:30 in the morning and jump into water that is probably below 50 deg. F and swimming laps, then standing around on deck waiting for your relay partner to get there.

Try getting up at 6:30 am and jumping into a cold shower - it's different. Having ice dumped on you when you've been up and are moving around and core temp is up - no big deal, especially those who knew it was coming.

The other issue I have is that some celebrities are clearly faking it. One guy actually did it and there was no ice - he used warm water, because he didn't even react.

Just sayin'...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: yourmaker

It’s personal. The ALS ice-bucket challenge is not just about raising money to combat a horrible disease. It’s about a person

Jason Becker wrote this in the midst of suffering from ALS, seriously this music is insane and he wrote it while he could barely breath

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.

Jason Becker is literally my hero. Such a positive attitude for a dude in such a horrible circumstance.

Instead of whining about the 'wasted water', maybe people should whine about the fact that Cali has access to so much coastline and somehow hasn't figured out how to have plentiful water...never made much sense to me.

ALS is a pretty crazy disease, we still don't even know what causes it. So far this campaign has brought in 739,000 new donors, raised $41million, $8.6million was in one day, over a 15x increase from last year in the same time period and already more than double last years total donations. Nothing short of awesome. This goes to show that something good can come out of the ridiculousness that is social media.

Source

edit on 8/22/2014 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Above Top Secret, YOUVE BEEN CHALLENGED!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join