It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Has anyone been a part of this, or heard about this so far? This is an awesome way to generate fun as well as donations for a good cause and raise awareness at the same time. It's going crazy on facebook (I know most of you hate FB) and it's rather funny to watch. How it works is like this: You do the challenge and then you nominate others on your friends list to either do the challenge and post it online, or donate money (Some people do both).

It's catching on with big time celebrities too and some of the ways people do the challenge are really creative and funny.

Also, if you've done the challenge, you can post your videos in this thread if you would like.

The ALS ice-bucket challenge is perfect.

Sure, it’s goofy. It’s hammy. It’s confused. (Dump a cooler over your head or donate to Lou Gehrig’s disease? Let’s hope that Bill Gates and his gorgeous colored-pencil set and his perfect dock and his $76 billion gave a whole lot more than $100.) But as a viral charitable-giving campaign, it is textbook, much like the bullied bus monitor and Kony 2012 and Movember campaigns before it.

That is because it pulls the big social and emotional levers that get people to give, and it makes it easy and fun for them to do so. It’s a campaign to make behavioral economists and marketing experts happy — as well as the ALS Association, which has received about $23 million in donations thus far. Let’s break the components of its giddy, viral appeal.

It’s personal. The ALS ice-bucket challenge is not just about raising money to combat a horrible disease. It’s about a person: Pete Frates, the 29-year-old former captain of Boston College’s baseball team. The campaign first took off in New England as Frates’s friends, neighbors, and classmates joined in and posted their ice-dumping videos in honor of him on YouTube and Facebook.

Why The Ice-Bucket Challenge Went Viral
edit on 8/19/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/19/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimusCrime

Three of my cousins have done it and posted it. Funny to watch their reactions.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

It really is an interesting way to raise awareness on the issue but a lot of people seem to have missed the point or did not get informed on what ALS is. Anyways here are my 2 favorite videos.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Three of my cousins have done it and posted it. Funny to watch their reactions.

And they didn't challenge you?
lol.

I've been watching my friends all weak posting these videos, even my aunts and uncles are doing it. Never thought I'd see the day.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ATSmediaPRO

Bill Gates is one of my favorites, he built a machine to do it.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Baaa Baaa Baaaa Baaaa Baaaa Baaaa

Next Craze………. comb your hair in a different direction

OR

Eat a Turkey sandwich on a Tuesday

OR or….

Smile at a Stranger in the street…..

Or or or

open a door for an old lady ….

I could go on…….

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ATSmediaPRO

I agree that some people are missing the point but I like to see how it is raising awareness.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
aaaand there's this...

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Bill Gates.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I never knew it was for ALS, i just thought people was doing silly interweb stuff agian.
Good on Mr sheen and anyone doing it to raise awareness or money.

I think this will be next.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: PurpleDog UK

Craze?

It's for a good cause. I have a good friend who lost his mother a month ago from ALS. I'd gladly dump ice on my head and donate if I had the money.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: howmuch4another
aaaand there's this...

There's been a ton of money and awareness raised by this. I get you think you're funny with your little MEME but it's way off base with it's remark. You don't have to like the support this is getting but please don't bring things like this into this thread.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver
a reply to: PurpleDog UK

Craze?

It's for a good cause. I have a good friend who lost his mother a month ago from ALS. I'd gladly dump ice on my head and donate if I had the money.

Craze as in how fast the word is spreading and people are doing it to raise awareness. I have and would as well. I'll change the title if it's missleading.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

they raised about 13 million after this thing had been viral over a month. the results are actually weak and in California we are having the worst drought in our lifetimes....it is stupid.

edit to add: write a check....
edit on 8/19/2014 by howmuch4another because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
KSU Football does it. It's not highly interesting until you consider that the captain Coach Snyder buckets is the same player who chased him 20 yards down the sidelines to hit with Gatorade at the bowl game.

Texas Tech does it with a more style turning it into a team water fight.

And here's Charlie Strong getting bucketed at UT.

I just hope that this money helps to find a treatment. My mom had a coworker who died of this. She had two sons who were in high school at the same time as me. The lady went downhill really fast from the time of her diagnosis. I remember her being brought to Barry's football games and sitting on the sidelines in a wheelchair.
edit on 19-8-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

they raised about 13 million after this thing had been viral over a month. the results are actually weak and in California we are having the worst drought in our lifetimes....it is stupid.

edit to add: write a check....

15.6 Million in checks have been written since this started.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

In previous years, in the same time frame, they were lucky to see a third of that. It's worth it.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

that was the last I heard. whatever. still weak. Did you notice that included Bill Gates? If everyone just gave money like Charlie Sheen there would be way more$$. I would rather have the water.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

that was the last I heard. whatever. still weak. Did you notice that included Bill Gates? If everyone just gave money like Charlie Sheen there would be way more$$. I would rather have the water.

I don't want to get into this with you because you're mad you don't have water. I'm sure there's a thread to talk about the drought. Why do you feel the need to come in here and side track this topic?

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Can i just say that from a medical point of view...we are seeing this as one of the most stupid things we have seen. there has been known deaths from this due to heart attacks. We are also seeing spin off's with the new one being putting salt on your arms/legs then putting ice on top of the salt and seeing how long you can keep it there. well...dumb asses... people all over the world are now getting 2nd and 3rd degree burns some requiring skin grafts.

you need to see it for what it is....peer pressure at its finest. you are challenged on social media...and the pressure is on. it is stupidity taken to a whole new level.

p.s...not trying to be a kill joy. i am all for fun.
edit on 19-8-2014 by bellagirl because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-8-2014 by bellagirl because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join