It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PLANKTON found in space: Sea creatures are discovered living on the exterior of the ISS

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I wonder if Spong Bob and Patrick have been around there also.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Funny how they got off this rock too...and perhaps even before us. In the end, I think we will eventually find that life in the universe is the rule, not the exception.

Oh yes, and hopefully we will avoid the giant space whales as well. After all were there is space plankton there is likely to be something that feeds on them. Thought there not in any quantity up there that we would have to worry about attracting them space whales.

At least this thread isn't all doom and gloom...Yet.
If we do get invaded by a army of giant sapient space whales that tune could change. Ah! Just messing a bit, good thread.

edit on 4pmThursdaypm212014f4pmThu, 21 Aug 2014 16:56:57 -0500 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Ah 2 secs guy before you start wetting your pants, The daily mail in the UK is a bit of a comic in the UK, also did you Google this ?
This piece of "news" would have been all over the News Channels if it was a wee bit credible , but its probably been suppressed by the FBI CIA NASA or letters of your chose

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Sweevo

Paint chips or dropped on your head?

this has already been discussed for the past 8 pages.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
They say it didn't go up on the exterior of launch stages as far as they're aware of, but it might be possible that some of these hitchhikers got up there when somebody on a space-flight in orbit flushed the toilet. Supposedly a lot of the ice crystals which is what NASA says the objects are in the STS UFO vids have that origin.

Also many micro-organisms can survive in a dormant state in conditions that would kill them otherwise. (Convert to spores or become mostly intert when dessicated.) Once the right conditions are met, they go right back into being active again.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I hate to Rain on the parade
I thought this was an awesome find as well, but:

www.independent.co.uk...

As far as we're concerned, we haven't heard any official reports from our Roscosmos colleagues that they've found sea plankton," Nasa spokesperson Dan Huot told Space.com.

Huot confirmed that Russian cosmonauts had been taking samples from the windows on their side of the ISS, but clarified that they'd only been looking for “residues that can build up on the visually sensitive elements".

I don't know where all the sea plankton talk is coming from,” Huot added.

This may not actually be true yet...

And another:

phys.org...

One scientist with NASA, Lynn Rothschild, suggested that if the claims turn out to be true, the plankton likely made its way to the ISS aboard a space station module.
Reports of the sea plankton findings have come, ITAR-TASS reports, from Vladimir Solovyev, chief of the Russian ISS orbital mission—he's also reporting that the type of plankton found is not native to the parts of Russia where spacecraft are launched—he theorizes that air currents could have pushed the plankton to the station (plankton is known to make its way into the atmosphere). The findings, he continues, confirm that organisms can live on the outer surface of the space station, something Russian scientists have apparently been studying for over a year—though he didn't actually come right out and say that the specimens found were still alive. He also reports that the outside of the space station is covered with material from spacecraft engines that is emitted as they come and go. Of concern are the illuminators, which now need to be polished.

Read more at: phys.org...

edit on 22-8-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Just saw Fox News talking about this. That doesn't mean it's true, just saying.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird

Funny how they got off this rock too...and perhaps even before us. In the end, I think we will eventually find that life in the universe is the rule, not the exception.

Oh yes, and hopefully we will avoid the giant space whales as well. After all were there is space plankton there is likely to be something that feeds on them. Thought there not in any quantity up there that we would have to worry about attracting them space whales.

At least this thread isn't all doom and gloom...Yet.
If we do get invaded by a army of giant sapient space whales that tune could change. Ah! Just messing a bit, good thread.

The Space Whale ! LOL

2nd line

edit on 23-8-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
DBL Post

edit on 23-8-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

What if Earth was the the planet where all life in the universe originated? Then Earth is really the center of the Universe.

Um, sorry to have to tell you..but.........I'm afraid my EX g/f has got exclusive rights to that position !!!

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Jaellma

Not that crazy of an idea when they said mars lost its atmosphere to space too

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Visit the ATS Live Forum for more information. Look for Out of the Box SE5 EP3.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   

I always thought that tether footage the objects looked like jelly fish.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I'v linked the papers several times. The non reflective (light trick in the camera lens) orbs were excited plasma. It can be replicated in plasma experiments using high voltage.

www.tethers.com...

a reply to: LifeForm911

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Someone from the German Space Agency has reportedly addressed the claim of plankton found on the International Space Station, within the last couple of days, the first that has been heard about this in some time. Bacterial plankton apparently was found. It's not clear if it was still alive at that time. The origin of the plankton remains speculative. It has been suggested that it was carried up from the earth's surface by some atmospheric phenomenon. The ISS orbits at an altitude of 330 kilometers (205 miles), which makes this seem improbable, though.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

edit on 20-9-2014 by Ross 54 because: link address removed

edit on 20-9-2014 by Ross 54 because: added new link address

edit on 20-9-2014 by Ross 54 because: added information

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Hi, space fans.

This is ANOTHER news about life in the vacuum of space !!

One of them where the bacteria that where deposited by humnas in the cameras
that went to the moon, and then where taken back on earth, and the
things where ALIVE, after months/years on the moon ! !

Blue skies.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Maybe this has been mentioned, as I didn't read the entire thread, but...

How many NASA space shuttles have docked with the ISS over the years? And, where do those reusable fuel tanks land when the separate from the shuttle? Sounds like transference to me.
And, also, I doubt that the ISS is 100% air tight, so, perhaps if these plankton are really there, and were/are alive, they found some O2 seepage along the outer surface of the ISS, and received their life support that way?

My $.02...

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
The two solid fuel booster rockets from each Space Shuttle mission fell into the sea. They were recovered, cleaned, refurbished, and reused several times. If they acquired any sea plankton during their brief time in the ocean, it seems likely that it would have been dislodged by the recycling routine.
Even if some remained, it would then have had to migrate, somehow, from the boosters to the Space Shuttle itself, not fall off or be destroyed during travel through Earth's atmosphere at very high speeds, and then move from the docked shuttle to the space station.

There are several contingencies here, each seemingly improbable, but each necessary for this explanation to work.
I surmise that the theory of plankton carried from Earth's surface to the ISS by winds and air currents was proposed because it seemed less improbable that the shuttle-carried explanation. It, too, seems highly improbable though.

I sense that there is more to be learned about this story, which gives the impression of still being in the process of unfolding.
edit on 20-9-2014 by Ross 54 because: improved paragraph structure

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join