It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PLANKTON found in space: Sea creatures are discovered living on the exterior of the ISS

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
Then Earth is really the center of the Universe.

Mathematically speaking, everywhere is the center of the Universe.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Dracan6

Yep, saw that on the NASA site. It was a planned part of the EVA.

•Take samples from SM Window #13 (“Test” experiment)

What it doesn't say is WHY they were doing that? Did they put some plankton there to see what would happen? Did they see something 'growing' on the window?

blogs.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
Wow awesome find!..what do you think there eating in space?

Wow winds from Earth can blow into space??

omg were breathing in plankton !

Why, Krabby Patties of course! LOL

Seriously though, this is awesome! Makes you wonder what other planets these plankton have made it to? Perhaps that's how life starts...

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
And here is the Plankton ?

Holy Crap! No Kidding ...

Astroecologist Dr Michael Mautner is currently attempting to grow plants in meteorite soil (pictured) which he says is essential to provide food for any future colonies of humans on alien planets such as Mars Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... xjjcdTj

VEGETABLES PLANTED IN METERORITE SOIL COULD ONE DAY FEED HUMANS ON ALIEN PLANETS Astroecologist, Dr Michael Mautner, thinks it is entirely possible to, in the future, directly grow certain plants on other planets, which he says will be vital for a future colony to survive on Mars. Dr Mautner from Virginia Commonwealth University, researcher recently told Motherboard that meteorites often contain phosphate, nitrates, and even water that plants can feed on. To grow the plants, Dr Mautner ground up meteorites to create something closely resembling soil. ‘A variety of soil bacteria, algae, and asparagus and potato tissue cultures grew well in these asteroid/meteorite soils and also in Martian meteorite soils,’ he said. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... xkFVrDu Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

originally posted by: eisegesis
Evidence for Extraterrestrial Extremophiles and Plasmas in the Thermosphere

As depicted in NASA space shuttle film footage compiled and published by this author (Joseph 2012a,b), anomalous objects resembling and behaving similar to single cell and simple multi-cellular organisms have been observed and filmed by 10 separate NASA space shuttle missions, over 200 miles above Earth within the thermosphere. These structures appear to be self-illuminated, may be several meters or kilometers in size, and have 4 distinct morphologies: 1) sperm shaped, 2) cloud shaped, 3), “donut” shaped, 4) Cone shaped. Some of these structures travel at different speeds, travel in different directions, and change their speed and direction of movement and angle toward the camera, will turn and interact with one another, and in some instances will turn 180 degrees and follow other structures.

This has been debunked elsewhere already.

That site, acts as though it is a scientific journal. It is not.

Read...

RationalWiki: Journal of Cosmology

Thread on Bad Astronomy Forum about the Journal of Cosmology

Interesting, I will have to look more into it. Thank you for those links.

You make a good point about how quiet all our primary sources for space news are being. Not to mention, the article claims that plankton have been found on the window of the ISS "even with the lack of oxygen".

Plankton are primarily divided into broad functional (or trophic level) groups:

- Phytoplankton, which use photosynthesis to convert sunlight into chemical energy for life.

- Zooplankton, who feed on the phytoplankton or other zooplankton.

- Bacterioplankton, mainly decompose the remains of other organisms.

Although most dinoflagellates are either photosynthetic producers or heterotrophic consumers, many species do both depending upon their circumstances.

So which is it? If true, the only plankton that could possibly survive on the window of the ISS are phytoplankton due to the updrafts of carbon dioxide and energy from the sun. The article also mentions "other organisms".

My only other question would be, how did they get there and have they adapted to the cold temperatures and we just never noticed them before or are they a whole new species all together?

The article is very misleading.

edit on 20-8-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: loam
SnF

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
Wow awesome find!..what do you think there eating in space?

Wow winds from Earth can blow into space??

omg were breathing in plankton !

awesome find??
How is something on the front page of the daily mail an awesome "find"??
In any case..
AWESOME NEWS!!!
let's bio engineer ourselves to mimic their space surviving abilities and explore the stars effortlessly!!

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
Does this find add any more feasibility to the theory of panspermia?

I think it does, never cared much for the theory but this has made me think

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Here there an article from RT about it : RT

Vladimir Solovyev, head of the Russian segment of the ISS, has revealed.
there have been experiment from Nasa and Esa where some lichen, fungi, tardigrades could survive on the outside of the ISS.
The ISS is not exactly, completely out in space, there is still a extremely slight air drag on it, its why it has to be re-boosted regularly and there is still some protection from radiation by the earth magnetic field. Air Resistance in Orbit
There are also aeroplankton which could take a ride on a vessel(soyouz,ATV and others) to the space station. wikipedia
edit on 20-8-2014 by almera because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-8-2014 by almera because: added links

edit on 20-8-2014 by almera because: added link

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I'm thinking we still have a lot to discover about reality yet. I doubt if they thought they were going to discover life up there. It took a Russian to investigate what he saw. Our scientists were taught life can't exist out there I suppose.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: almera

Here there an article from RT about it : RT

Vladimir Solovyev, head of the Russian segment of the ISS, has revealed.

RT? They are really concerned with unbiased and truthful reporting right?(sarcasm)

RT is just as tabloid as the sites the story appeared in in England.

Call me when a reputable news outlet or one which covers space science reports it.

BTW: There was a panel discussion on NASA TV about the search for life in the universe and they were asked about the Plankton story at the end.

One of the panelists suggested it was diatoms in toothpaste.

there have been experiment from Nasa and Esa where some lichen, fungi, tardigrades could survive on the outside of the ISS.

There is a big difference between tardigrades and plankton. And do you know the outcome of the experiment you referenced?

I do.

edit on 20-8-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
It has finally been proven without a doubt, there is life on that ISS thingy!!

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Poppcocked
It has finally been proven without a doubt, there is life on that ISS thingy!!

i suppose that the Russians dont count?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Haha, no i was speaking of the plankton and ants or fleas or whatever.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
This is pretty interesting. Ultimately, it will probably turn out to be some type of terrestrial contamination. It would take a lot of evidence before the scientific community would accept the conclusion that this plankton is extraterrestrial.

I assume they will look at DNA. I think the most important test would be isotope fractionation. That might provide the best evidence of an extraterrestrial origin.

The August 18, 2014 ISS Daily Summary Report, posted by a citizen earlier in this thread, makes mentions of the russian "Test” experiment. And the RT Article also refers to this as the "Test” experiment. So, the preliminary results of the experiment were released the day after the spacewalk occurred.

The RT Article is more straightforward and not as sensationalist as the Daily Mail Article. It appears that they discovered traces of these sea organisms, but there are several more experiments that have to be performed before they come to any real conclusions. It will be a while before the paper is published.

Dex

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
The Space Station is in the Thermosphere

The mass of the thermosphere above about 85 km is only 0.002% of the total mass of the atmosphere.
en.wikipedia.org...

The concentration of CO2 in the Thermosphere would be 0.002 times the amount of CO2 in the air we breath.

The concentration of CO2 in normal room air is .00017 mol/L.

In space the concentration of CO2 is 0.002 times that or .00000034 mol/L

In water, the planktons' normal habitat, the concentration of CO2 is much higher, .0095 mol/L.

Space has 30,000 times less CO2 than water.

The plankton must be dormant or hibernating, unless the space station off gasses CO2 (a poison for astronauts).

The plankton could have been picked up in the atmosphere after liftoff, rather than floated all the way up to space themselves.

Depending on the time of year, dust from the Sahara desert may blow toward the Middle East, Europe, or North or South America. Sahara dust often arrives in the southern U.S. in late summer. It can reduce visibility in Florida and Texas.
mynasadata.larc.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

The RT Article is more straightforward and not as sensationalist as the Daily Mail Article. It appears that they discovered traces of these sea organisms, but there are several more experiments that have to be performed before they come to any real conclusions. It will be a while before the paper is published.

Dex

Science doesn't work that way.

They've got it backwards.

The normal order is:

1. Paper in peer reviewed journal first...
2. News stories in reputable places report the journal paper.
3. Tabloid media sensationalizing the above...

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   
From Space.com:

However, NASA has not confirmed the reports. "As far as we're concerned, we haven't heard any official reports from our Roscosmos colleagues that they've found sea plankton," NASA spokesman Dan Huot said. Roscosmos is Russia's Federal Space Agency.

The unconfirmed claims — reported by ITAR-TASS — were reportedly the result of a long-term study done using specialized equipment by Russians on the station, according to the news agency.

Although the cosmonauts did sample the outside of the space station and a window on one of the modules this week, they were not necessarily looking for traces of microbes, according to NASA.

"I'm not sure where all the sea-plankton talk is coming from," Huot told Space.com. "The Russians did take samples from one of the windows on the Russian segment, and what they're actually looking for is residues that can build up on the visually sensitive elements, like windows, as well as just the hull of the ship itself that will build up whenever they do thruster firings for things like re-boosts. That's what they were taking samples for. I don't know where all the sea plankton talk is coming from."

It's possible that the plankton, if confirmed, could be a contaminant launched into space with the space station module, said NASA scientist Lynn Rothschild.

Pretty much what I said earlier. It seems like either a misunderstanding or contamination.
edit on 21-8-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   

I think you will find the media tend to skip the first two stages , because they are only in it to shift units.
and waiting on the truth isn't something they are known for!
So will skip stage 1 and 2 and just run a story on here say with no real evidence to back it up because a sensational story, like life in space is going to sell papers on that headline alone.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: loam. It looks like these guys forgot to wash their rags. There is no earth life floating around in space but these bored clowns. Also don't notice the silly attempt to deny that god exist.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join