It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PLANKTON found in space: Sea creatures are discovered living on the exterior of the ISS

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I used to get angry about all the disinfo about life existing outside of earth, "the rare exception."

I was a biology student in college in the eighties. Back then we were taught that water was absolutely critical for any life whatsoever and that water in any form was exceedingly rare outside of earth.

Later, water was discovered all over the place. The moon has so much frozen water that it could be used as a source of fuel for Mars missions if converted to hydrogen and oxygen.

Today we get the slow drip of info as if slowly preparing us for disclosure.

Russian scientists discovered interstellar dust has the same signature as viruses. If life is ubiquitous and the entire universe has been created to support life, then the odds of higher life forms somewhere amongst the trillions of planets is a certainty.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
Wow awesome find!..what do you think there eating in space?

Wow winds from Earth can blow into space??

omg were breathing in plankton !

Those little mites are perhaps eating all the solid waste shot into space from the ISS (dammit it, it rhymes!) plus the water in various forms.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Wow cool! Has anyone ever tried to put Plankton in a vacuum and see if it lived?

I would be interested to see what they learn from this

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Isn't life amazing! Wonder what else we've exported to space? And how it has adapted and mutated...

F&S
edit on 20/8/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

This means we could send Creatures up to Mars to live and change the Atmosphere eventually. Maybe not just 'Plankton'. Probably a lot more Creatures which can Hibernate for long periods without food or the need for 'Oxygen'.

They will need to be explored more.

S & F

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
See some space plankton here!

www.youtube.com...

Jump to 1.37... Thanks Gary McKinnon.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

S&F

I have always felt that life did not start here. It stands to reason if it can go up from the earth it could also come from the other direction. It may be that this stuff is just floating all through the galaxy, having been carried into space by atmospheric currents and impacts on countless planets, and it just floats through space for eons until it lands on a planet and seeds it. It has always seemed suspicious to me that as soon as the heavy bombardment ended and earth was cool enough for liquid water, life pops up. Also there was a radar study done on a comet once where they were imaging particles that were exactly the size of bacteria. IMHO, life is all through the universe and sprouts where ever the conditions allow it.
edit on 20-8-2014 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Right, I know and understand that.

But we are talking about intense levels of many different forms of radiation. So much radiation and intensity that you would expect the dipole molecules of their body to vibrate and heat up to a point where it kills them from the inside out.

Why do they not boil away?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: WeAre0ne

Great question and the ISS is a lab in space.

Do ya think they should do some scientific testing in those space labs while they're up there to find out?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Great question and the ISS is a lab in space.

I'm sure this is like the real life version of the sci-fi series Extant.

There always tends to be a lot of truth of discovery buried within the scripts of sci fi as a general rule.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
There is some wind drag on the station from the huge solar panels. They have to adjust the orbit occasionally to counter this. a reply to: violet

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I've often thought about space and life it may contain, what makes me wonder is the way we as humans dismiss this as not been plausible. We as humans base the origins of life on the basis of whats happened here on planet Earth. What's not to say the rules for life to evolve elsewhere, are completely different.

Why cannot Space itself be like our oceans here on Earth? Been able to sustain some form of life way beyond our current understanding? What if these objects seen on numerous shuttle missions are not ufos but some life-form?

As knowledgeable as Man has become, IMO we are still in our infancy

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: solargeddon

What if this isn't actually new?

Could the shuttles have had them attached just to have them burn away on reentry? While the ISS still has them simply because it's still up there?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I just keep picturing the little guy from Sponge Bob. BAHAHAHAAAA

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I wanted to input, that this article is a bit misleading as to how they obtained the microbes. I watched this space-walk on the ISS live feed. They didn't inadvertently wipe/polish the windows, then stumble on this as the original write up implies. It was a deliberate test with a bio swab, on window port 13. The female Cosmonaut was chatting about it while she was taking the 'sample.' (Yes, that is what they were calling it.) She then screwed it into an interesting vile, (that seemed to take over 50 turns) and was talking about how the sample was contained, lol.

I was wondering why they were so interested in residue on this one particular window? Then I resigned my questions, knowing what ever the reasons, I would most likely never know the results of that swab.

I saw this staring at me when I logged on ATS, and thought. "Well... I'll be damned!"

Anyhow, thought I would share. I think some people would feel a slight bit different knowing that they were deliberately looking for the conclusion that was made. That it wasn't at all just a "happy ole' accident!"

Nice to know that science is still being conducted with an open mind -- Even though it must be presented to the public as "hey look what we tripped over!"

Great find OP, made my day!
:

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I always thought that storms, like huge hurricanes and tornadoes, actually send debris out into space a little ways. This is awesome! Very bizarre that they can live out there.

And one would think that of all the space agencies, this would've been found long ago. Maybe it was, but kept on the down low?
edit on 20-8-2014 by Fylgje because: to add

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Maybe they came from the deep abyss that is above the Earth.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Crakeur

Congrats Loam, I believe you get the honor of the very first post that shows confirmation of life in outer space. Granted, it's not extraterrestrial but it ain't human.

It may be IMO correct for the headline to read : LIFE FOUND IN SPACE !
But , would it be honest to say so , really ?

Imagine a rocket with a sharp needle at the nose ... the needle impales a mullet that was taken into the atmosphere by a waterspout. Now we have FISHES IN SPACE !

Land-locked wastelands of Eurasia may not have been these lifeform's origin , but what about Kwajalien , Vandenburg , Canaveral , or coastal South America ?

Hope it's the seed of the universe myself - but , not enough data for me .

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Poppcocked
a reply to: JadeStar

HaHA you are just bound and determined to bring everyone down in this thread arent you?

Jesus man why are you so bothered by this?

if it is true would it be the end of the world...

1. I am not a man

2. I am cautioning people because this is likely a misunderstanding of something or an outright hoax/exaggerated story bycertain media outlets (tabloid media) which couldn't care less about getting science stories right. Seriously ask yourself why this is not front page news on Space.com, Universe Today, Discovery News, NASA or the ESA? Not only isn't it front page news, it's not even news.

3. We're here for the truth not nonsense.

4. My field of study is Astrobiology and in the places where people would be talking about this IF IT WERE TRUE, they're not which likely means this story will turn out to be a big fat falsehood and THAT type of thing damages the reputation of Astrobiology in the minds of the public. (Boy who cried wolf mean anything to you?)

5. I'm sick of seeing fringe media trying to jump the gun on tomorrows headline. Life could very well be fairly common in the Universe and if true there is a good chance we'll find it within the next 10, 20 or 30 years but when it happens it will be a much bigger story than this one with a wealth of information on how it was found not some vague tabloid article.

6. This story has no paper behind it. If this were true you can bet there would be at least one scientific paper published about it detailing how they conducted their test.

It all screams hoax, but hey, keep wasting time on it. Just remember to check the credibility of the source of stories like this.
edit on 20-8-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I dont think its From Earth!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join