It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds buy border fence for nowhere near Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

The U.S. Department of State recently purchased 2,500 spools of Concertina razor wire to complete a border fence that online distance calculators determine is over 6,600 miles away from the Rio Grande.

Instead of completing the still unfinished border fence dividing Mexico from the United States, the $435,000 contract is designated to purchase fencing for the border between Ukraine and the Crimean Peninsula.

Meanwhile, U.S. Border Patrol agents are struggling just to process the tide of immigrants illegally streaming across the border from Mexico, where a 700-mile long fence, originally authorized by law in 2006, has yet to be completed.

Lawmakers and federal officials have since pointed out that Congress has failed to appropriate sufficient funds for completion of the fence. To this date, more than 600 miles of fencing have been constructed along the U.S. southern border, but significant portions of the barrier remain unfinished and easily crossed by illegal aliens.

Well isn't that nice? We somehow have the money to buy a border fence for another country but we don't have the money for our own. Nothing surprises me anymore.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I say what we need to do is just go ahead and give all of our resources away to other countries.

If we give it all away then we can just speed up the process that we are currently going through.

SPEND SPEND SPEND SPEND SPEND!!!!!

When you don't have it - SPEND SPEND SPEND SPEND!!!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Are the people in charge of our country on something? This is why we don't teach budgeting in school. The people in charge can't even descern between a want and a need.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I don't think a fence or wall is the way to go.

However, having said that. I think if you start one, it only makes sense to finish it? And make it right?

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
Are the people in charge of our country on something? This is why we don't teach budgeting in school. The people in charge can't even descern between a want and a need.

That movie "Idiocracy" comes to mind. I'm starting to think it was a prophetic documentary instead of comedy fiction.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: LrdRedhawk

originally posted by: Iamthatbish

That movie "Idiocracy" comes to mind. I'm starting to think it was a prophetic documentary instead of comedy fiction.

No truer words have ever been spoken, haha.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I'm at a complete loss for words about this other than. WTF

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Why would they fence it off it would only make it harder for the cartels to bring the govs drugs across the border

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: LrdRedhawk

We have people in this country that need assistance and are told that due to budgetary cuts there's none to be had. We need to stop this.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Earth is the insane asylum for this sector of the galaxy.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
hmm... lets think of it like this.

tensions increase in ukraine, due to a lack of border fence, which while not actually keeping people in, or out, acts as a sort of border-marker(hadrians wall did the same thing in roman Britain). it would be easy for military drills to "accidentally" start wandering outside of the borders, "accidentally" triggering a response that leads to an expanded military conflict, a conflict that puts far more at stake for our allies, and our country.

More importantly it means conflict that could effect the financial sector of our country, through effecting the financial markets in europe and russia, due to the economic effects of an escalated conflict in Ukraine.

In addition the border between crimea and Ukraine is a heck of a lot smaller than the US-mexico border.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: NonsensicalUserName

Let a country that's not in debt, that has less issues of its own resolve this. When you fly the attendant will tell you, put the mask on you first so you will be there to help your child.

No one will be there for us.

edit on 19-8-2014 by Iamthatbish because: predict a text totally winning

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Fences were made to be jumped, climbed, dug under, and snipped apart. It's a big sign that says, break this. It also prevents the other side from going one way or the other. If it were electrified and there were two hundred junkyard dogs behind it, that would be different.

The border fence at the US/Mexico border? The invaders have tunnels, airplanes, car-ramps. They need to staple-gun the druggies' noses and behinds shut, save money on fences.
edit on 19-8-2014 by AtomicOrbital1 because: more staples

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

the US is actually just fine, despite what hysterical media pundits say, the majority are screwed but the country is fine. frankly I think we need to be less concerned about people on the bottom, who have comparably little power and political weight, and more concerned about those on the top; by this I mean wall-street Financial-Industry types who produce nothing of any real value for ordinary people.

the fence in this instance is ironically a good thing, providing some economic stimulus in the form of having the fence made in the USA!.

be assured, when the situation in Ukraine settles (if it settles) we will be sure to see that this fence is viewed as "a loan", for strategic purposes.

new topics

top topics

join