It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World without cops.. how would it look like ?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
With the society we have today, a world without cops would look horrible. We are increasingly a society of people who have no respect for each other because we are selfish and increasingly amoral people. Moral people are capable of ruling themselves and do not need to be constantly supervised. If we had a society peopled by moral individuals who respected themselves and each other, we wouldn't need nearly as many cops.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Without police there would be less criminals. and everyone would carry guns and be skilled in using them.
Likely most people would have at least one machine gun to protect themselves with.

criminals likely will never hear the shot that gets them, Aren't silencers wonderful

People would protect there own property with what ever force needed.

Criminals would be fitted for body bags at a young age. Or food for dogs.

With no police there would be groups in communities that took care of hunting down criminals, trying them and disposing of them.

Just what you are likely to see after TSHTF or TEOTWAWKI
survivalcache.com...

edit on 19-8-2014 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
No,then I would rule you.I would be the dreaded VETERAN of course because your idiot LEADERS will still fight them. And if the ARMY ain't happy we'll perform a coup cause there's no one to stop us. And of course BEING from SUCH a might makes right culture I wouldn't be a sweet guy like I am.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
With the society we have today, a world without cops would look horrible. We are increasingly a society of people who have no respect for each other because we are selfish and increasingly amoral people. Moral people are capable of ruling themselves and do not need to be constantly supervised. If we had a society peopled by moral individuals who respected themselves and each other, we wouldn't need nearly as many cops.

But the cops don't keep us safe. It's the idea that they do that keeps things 'orderly'.

We should just dress them up as sugar pills, for all the placebo good they actually do.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka
What would the USA look like if we repealed all the consensual acts done by people which harm no one look like? A lot less police to begin with and a lot less human suffering caused by society outlawing of said acts.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: smithjustinb
People would form small, armed groups. I think people would still be in favor of justice and morality. The new communities would work within the community to serve justice and morality. They would be separate from other communities and distrusting of outsiders. Some groups would form bandit gangs, but I think they would be outnumbered.

Idealism is a nice word.

There are already lawless places on earth. Like Somolia for instance.

Somalia still has order in some groups. Somalia still has good people who do good things.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I think life would be difficult without cops.

I think we actually do more then people give us credit for. Of course I am a little biased, but hey who isn't about what they do?

I can agree that without cops people would form their own security details and take care of their own. That is great but that would require 24 hour commitment. How would one work to pay the bills? Unless of course we are talking about a SHTF situation.

That being said there are things that I would change if I could.

1. Mandatory body cameras.
2. Civilian oversight for every department.
3. Better pay and benefits to attract better candidates.
4. More training in emotional survival and coping skills.
5. End no knock warrants.
6. End 99.9% of warrants served by SWAT teams. Only the most serious offenses would justify such things. If that resulted in some SWAT teams being eliminated so be it.
7. Legalize a certain plant

Things I am on the fence about

8. Legalizing all other drugs.
9. A serious reduction in ALL traffic enforcement. I am not so sure about this because I have been to many other countries where there is little traffic enforcement and it is Hell to be on the road.

I would definitely suggest to anyone who feels there should be no police to go live in one of many third world countries to experience what it is like.

I understand people believe that because we are Americans it wouldn't be as bad. However I do have my doubts.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

I do not agree that cops don't keep people safe.

For one it is difficult to measure the amount of crimes we deter.

I have also stopped many crimes in progress in my career. Many of them being violent. I would hazard a guess that the people that I have helped in those situations feel that I protected them.

Maybe we should have a national no police month and actually calculate our value to society.
edit on 20-8-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite

originally posted by: ketsuko

But the cops don't keep us safe. It's the idea that they do that keeps things 'orderly'.

We should just dress them up as sugar pills, for all the placebo good they actually do.

I understand what you are saying.
If someone decides to kick in my door this evening and attack my children and I, the cops will not be able to keep me safe. If I want any safety for my person or my family, it is up to me to provide it.

They are not there to keep us safe, they are there to selectively enforce the law to remind people that it is a risky behavior to break the law. Usually the reminder comes to the person after they have perpetrated the unlawful act.

The events during the past two weeks in Missouri prove that IF a large enough segment choose to disregard the law simultaneously, the facade of 'cops keeping us safe' collapses.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

This is true.

A lot of people think the police are there to protect them the individual.

In theory the police are there to maintain order and protect the community as a whole.

That is why there are times when one must wait for an officer to respond to their traffic accident or to the store when their purse is stolen from their shopping cart.

Sometimes the needs of one individual takes precedent over those of another.

Also at times the needs of the many outweigh the few.

Nothing will ever be infallible

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Sometimes the needs of one individual takes precedent over those of another.

Yes. That is why I said 'selectively', because if law enforcement officers were expected to ticket every person that exceeded the speed limit while driving, we would need a lot of officers and there wouldn't be any available to respond to a domestic abuse call.
It is like triage at a hospital, the most important call gets answered first.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join