It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Man Shot by St. Louis Police Just Now

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

A 23 year-old man has just been shot by St. Louis police. Report stated he was acting erratically and had a knife. Watching CNN, field reporter stated witness told him man seemed mentally ill. Reporter heard asking chief "do your officers have tasers ?"

Another Man Shot by St. Louis Police Just Now

edit on 19-8-2014 by whoreallyknows because: (no reason given)

MSNBC story
edit on 19-8-2014 by whoreallyknows because: edit to add second news link

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: whoreallyknows

Exactly! Where are the damn tasers and bean bag guns!

ETA: This already has a thread I believe?
edit on 19-8-2014 by 0bservant because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
If you attempt to rob a business with a weapon, and then the police arrive, and you attempt to stab the police with the knife, then you can expect to get shot.

Now if you didn't attempt to steal (which is illegal) or attempt to stab a police officer (which is also illegal) then your chances of getting shot drop dramatically.

It's not rocket-surgery!

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Robbery/stealing and having a knife is wrong. Police playing judge, jury and executioner wrong. What happened to just shooting someone to disable them or using a taser.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: whoreallyknows

Robbery/stealing and having a knife is wrong. Police playing judge, jury and executioner wrong. What happened to just shooting someone to disable them or using a taser.

If he had dropped the knife, then the police may have been less inclined to shoot.

The responsibility lies entirely with the individual who attempted to rob, then harm others.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

This is a non story.
Armed man gets shot big deal.

I think you are trying to stir the pot here.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

This is a non story.
Armed man gets shot big deal.

I think you are trying to stir the pot here.

That man may have just been making a sandwich.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

The responsibility lies entirely with the individual who attempted to rob, then harm others.

Exactly. Acting with hostility toward someone who is armed with a gun isn't a very bright thing to do. All of these "Mom gets shot for picking daisies" threads are pretty misrepresentative -- Mom got shot because she pulled a knife on the arresting officer or punched him in the face or something.

We're going to talk about it on the show tomorrow, Beez, using this thread, you should drop by and have a say on it!

edit on 19-8-2014 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

While I understand the question of using deadly force, I have another question:

"What happened to people NOT robbing places with a deadly weapon, or trying to stab someone with a deadly weapon?"

A knife can kill someone just as easily as a gun can. Grab someone, slit their throat and it's over. Puncture their lung, and it's a question of can the paramedics get to you in time with that sucking chest wound.

Could they have disabled him without a gun? Possibly.

However, if I'm armed with a firearm, and someone comes at me with a knife? They are going to get shot....center mass, since it's easier to hit a body's center mass. If they keep coming? I'll keep shooting....until they stop trying to come at me.

Simple. See, I want to go home and live another day. I don't want to have some idiot with a knife kill me.

Don't want to get shot? Don't come at me with a weapon.

It's as simple as that.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Shooting to disable is for the movies. In real life, you either shoot to kill or you don't shoot. There is only one reason to ever pull a gun on someone, to shoot and kill them.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

The reports state the man was screaming "shot me, kill me".... doesn't sound like someone who is "all there".

I understand your point, but I think there are other options, just shot to kill as a first option disturbs me. If every crime is met with barrage of bullets then why do we have jail sentences and a jury of peers.

This is still America right??? I've seen hostage situations end with the hostage taker in handcuffs. One guy with a knife shot to death by two cops in the middle of a town, is disturbing. Yet, you have have child rapist go free after doing jail time. Just sick.

Thank GOD no one was hit by a stray bullet.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Your link.

Responding officers told the man, repeatedly, to stop and drop his knife, Dotson said. He continued to approach, coming within about four feet of one of the officers, Dotson said, adding that both officers then fired their weapons, striking the suspect.

21 foot rule.

A non story.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Ooh this not good.

Has any one EVER instructed these people in non lethal disarming techniques. Kill first ask question later. A city near me residents say the best way to commit suicide call 911 .

Why are we paying for mace , stun guns , tazers when first choice is a barrel of a gun. And why spend time and money paying for instructors to teach non lethal disarming and arresting techniques . The academies teach it why wont they use it .

Did they ever think . Never mind think and situations in these days is a oxymoron .

Even if it was a clean shooting and if he deserved it It is a really poor time to kill someone else.

Golly Gee lets throw some gasoline on that fire .

edit on Tuesday201435315583102America/Chicago19 by Lostinthedarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Lostinthedarkness

Exactly! I hope the ones in here justifying this type of response, never go into a diabetic shock and are mistaken as a non-compliant drunk and get shot, hard to explain you needed insulin once you're already dead!

Yes having a knife and stealing are wrong, but if you condone this level of force for any level of crime, you'll be the next one staring down the barrel of a gun for an even lesser reason.

Checks and balances people.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Thank GOD no one was hit by a stray bullet.

Or stabbed by a flailing knife. Think McFly.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

a reply to: Lostinthedarkness

Exactly! I hope the ones in here justifying this type of response, never go into a diabetic shock and are mistaken as a non-compliant drunk and get shot, hard to explain you needed insulin once you're already dead!

Yes having a knife and stealing are wrong, but if you condone this level of force for any level of crime, you'll be the next one staring down the barrel of a gun for an even lesser reason.

Checks and balances people.

I'm a type 2.

I've been in a diabetic shock a few times.

None of those times, did I think to grab a knife and start threatening people with it.

Instead, you have the shakes really bad, can't get your breath, start to sweat a lot, and your heart feels like it's going to jump out of it's chest.

Mostly what I want to do when that happens is SIT DOWN so I don't fall down and crack my head open.

Those of you thinking cops can just shoot a knife out of someone's hand have been watching too many movies or TV.

Those of you that think shooting a person in the arm is going to stop them (or keep the bullet from exiting and hitting someone else) obviously do not know anything about firearms.

Those of you that think he should have been shot in the leg, are not thinking about the femur artery, which if punctured can have a person bleed out and die in minutes.....not to mention it's a fast moving target....that if you miss, the bullet then hits the pavement and then bounces where???

Those of you that are OUTRAGED that a person welding a deadly weapon (a knife) that can indeed seriously wound or kill someone, and was told several times to stop, by a person holding a gun (which to me is Darwin in action, as in Stupid is as Stupid does) was shot because the officers should of had unrealistic training, taken more chances with missing and hitting someone else, or should have been able to do a psychological analysis of the guy in the few seconds he was coming at him to determine his mental stability........have got to be kidding.

Taser they guy? Okay, some people have been tased before....and died. Y'all would be screaming about that. There have been accounts where tasing didn't work either, suspect still keeps coming.

Mace him in the eyes? Oh great, now you have someone who's blinded and slashing around blindly with a knife.

The individual offered deadly forces to them.

If you're too stupid to know that you should most likely drop your weapon when you've been told by a cop with a gun to do so, most likely should not be procreating in the first place.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
If you attempt to rob a business with a weapon, and then the police arrive, and you attempt to stab the police with the knife, then you can expect to get shot.

Now if you didn't attempt to steal (which is illegal) or attempt to stab a police officer (which is also illegal) then your chances of getting shot drop dramatically.

It's not rocket-surgery!

I side with Beezer on this one. I'm just sitting here shaking my head as a lot of people continually make excuses for those that do wrong. Once again I am sorry but if you put yourself in that situation you deserve to pay the price. I do not wish death on anyone but god damnit stop putting yourself in those situations. I am #ing sick and tired of stupid people.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Do you think an officer should only be allowed to protect themselves after they were shot or stabbed?

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Amen brother and I got a good chuckle about your mace comment, lol.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Yeah ok, but what color was he?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join