It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is using deadly force on an unarmed person EVER justified?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

So just because I signed up for a dangerous job means that I do not have a right to protect myself? Even while someone is bashing my head in with their fists?

Yes but not with deadly force. Tazers and Mace ect would be acceptable.

There is such thing as NON deadly force you know?

That kind of makes me believe that you see police officers as beneath one who is not.

Opposite in fact. I 100% respect British police. They volunteer for what they know is a dangerous job to protect me. And by and large (with some bad exceptions) they carry out there duty to protect the public and unless its 100 % necessary (IE the suspect is threatening deadly force) bring that suspect safely to court were they can stand a trial.

I have and will but drinks for policeman in my local area as they are heros. They do a damned dangerous job willingly to make the area I live in a safe place. And they paid a pretty damned goo wage too.

I view myself equal to everyone else and feel that if a person that is not an officer has the right to use deadly force against an unarmed attacker I do too.

I view it as proportional force.

If someone hits me in the face, no it would be wrong for me to get up and stab them or shoot them.

If they hit me in the face continually? screaming "im going to kill you" then yes I would use deadly force.

So do you think I should be able to use deadly force against an unarmed attacker if I am off duty?

Yes.

Your not on public service then.

I hold someone in public service to higher standards and accountability. But I respect them MORE for that.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
No offense but being in the UK, you will never get it. Sure you can have an opinion, but you guys have a different mindset as you dont have to worry about weapons as much. Your used to just simple brawls that usually dont get out of hand

But this line here says it all

"If they hit me in the face continually? screaming "im going to kill you" then yes I would use deadly force. "

If your to this point, its too late for that, you made a bad call and your fate is in his hands now plain and simple. There is no shaking your head and now your clear headed and can now decide what to do, your done. Hopefully he is pulled off or stops cause he sees your done. Either way you have no say so at this point.This is not the movies. A real violent attack you have sometimes mere seconds to chose, chose wrong and your dead. Officers more than civilians only because they put themselves in harms way as their job.

Anyone that totes the whole I would do this or he should have done that, has never been in a real dangerous violent situation, or got lucky in the one they were in which was not really as violent and deadly as they think.

This does not mean there are no bad cops in any way, it just means most cops are not.
edit on 20-8-2014 by Wiz4769 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wiz4769
No offense but being in the UK, you will never get it. Sure you can have an opinion, but you guys have a different mindset as you dont have to worry about weapons as much. Your used to just simple brawls that usually dont get out of hand

I dont get this logic?

Sorry a unarmed American is no different to a unarmed Brit.

Thats what this is about.

Shooting Unarmed suspects.

IF a suspect is armed? Shot them! I have no issue with that. And naturally the USA will have more armed suspects.

But unarmed is unarmed in both country's.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Yes but the point is you guys KNOW there is no weapon more than likely, we dont have that luxury. Just because you cant see it, does not mean there isnt one there. This does add a small change in self defense thinking.

Also, like others have said, you can die with a simple blow to the head. Add the point that if the other person is 6'4" and 300lbs, that punch is goin to be rough even at half swing.

Again it really doesnt matter, it is what it is and right now you can defend yourself with lethal force if you , not another, YOU think your life might be in danger.

edit on 20-8-2014 by Wiz4769 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

So how do you determine if a person that is hitting you intends to use deadly force?

Just because a person doesn't say aloud "I am going to kill you with my fists" does not mean they do not have the intent to kill you.

What if he doesn't intend to use deadly force but punches you, you fall hit your head and die? It isn't a common situation but I have seen it.

Just to note I am not condoning a person get into a bar fight and use deadly force when they realize they can't win. Bar fights and similar situations tend to be mutual.

I am talking about when a person is randomly targeted and attacked police officer or not.

Also when speaking of an armed police officer every confrontation is potentially armed. What if the attacker knocks me out, takes my gun and shoots me or someone else?

edit on 20-8-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

So let me repeatedly punch you in the face and side of the head. I'll come back a minute later, we'll see how quickly your mind changes given your previous experience with me beating the piss out of you. I fully expect you to not lift a finger.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join