It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Peak Water," Methane Blowholes and Ice-Free Arctic Cruises: The Climate Crisis Deepens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Here is an alarming article that came out yesterday based on reports from NASA. There is a lot of information in the article about the changing climate, some things that will be hard for the skeptics to deny. The article starts out describing something we've all discussed before, the extreme warm temps in places that are normally cooler, and the cooler temps in places usually hotter. Such as the Pacific Northwest and Northwest Europe, which have been extremely hot, as well as Siberia, and then here in the US, it's been cooler than usual all the way down to Florida.

The Climate Crisis Deepens

Here is a land surface temperature anomaly map for North America.

And here is the map for Europe. The maps on this page shows land surface temperature (LST) anomalies for July 27–August 3, 2014. They were built from data collected by the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Aqua satellite.

Meteorologists saw several possible and related causes for the heat waves and cooling patterns. High pressure systems over Scandinavia and northern Russia, as well as over the Pacific Northwest of North America, allowed stable air masses to build up heat domes and “block” incoming fronts that could bring changes in winds, precipitation, and temperatures. These blocking patterns worked together with unusual bends and meanders in the jet stream, which took on a see-sawing north-south pattern over the northern hemisphere. The jet moved air northward over the Pacific Ocean and warmed northwest Canada and the west coast of the U.S.; it dove south from cooler areas of Canada into the central and eastern U.S.; and it drove warm Atlantic air north into northern Europe. The jet took a similar north-south zig-zag in western and eastern Siberia. This pattern is more common in winter than in summer.

Source and information on maps

Here is an explanation of what kinds of extremes these anomalies caused from the NASA report.

NASA continues:
Records for high temperatures (mid-30s°C, mid-90s°F) were approached or broken in Latvia, Poland, Belarus, Estonia, Lithuania, and Sweden in late July and early August. Searing temperatures also dried out forests and fuelled wildfires in Siberia; in the U.S. states of Oregon, Washington, and California; in the Canadian provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, and Northwest Territories; and even in Sweden. At the same time, cool air moved from high northern latitudes into much of the U.S., setting record-low daytime and nighttime temperatures as far south as Florida and Georgia. Temperatures dropped to the winter-like levels in the mountains of Tennessee.

Then the article goes on to talk about how these extremes were off the charts in 2013 as well. It claims that in 2013, global temperatures continued their long-term rising trend as the planet hit new records for greenhouse gases, Arctic heat, warm ocean temperatures and rising global sea levels.

Climate records shattered in 2013, report from Live Science

Additionally, Arctic sea ice extent was its sixth lowest and continued to decline by 14 percent per decade, Super Typhoon Haiyan recorded the highest wind speed for a tropical cyclone with sustained winds reaching 196 mph, record high temperatures were recorded in the Arctic, including record temperatures being recorded 60 feet down into the permafrost.

Here is a snapshot of Arctic sea ice from July of 1979 versus July of 2014

This is a must read article to at the source of this picture

A generation of emissions takes a toll on Arctic ice

There is much more information in the OP article, please read it. It talks about bird and fish migrations and much more, due to our fast-track changing climate. It's time people wake up and realize this is real, serious world-wide efforts need to be made to stop the warming, before it's too late. Many speculate that we have decades, but IMO, we are down to a few years and we're certainly going to pass the tipping point.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Please clarify for me.

I myself don't deny the climate is changing, I believe there a cycles and we are witnessing this. This causes me not to believe in global warming. Global warming makes everyone money that is not helping their own cause.

How do reports on weather that we all agree is changing sway anyone's mind?

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
It really was a cunning move when they switched from
"Global warming" (which was easily proved bs)
to
"Climate change"

If it suddenly gets warm they shout "its climate change"
if it suddenly gets cold they shout "its climate change"
If it rains people shout "OMG weird weather"
if its sunny they shout "OMG weird weather"

So, all you believers of the global warming/climate change, if our world had no climate problems, what would the weather be like today?

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
Please clarify for me.

I myself don't deny the climate is changing, I believe there a cycles and we are witnessing this. This causes me not to believe in global warming. Global warming makes everyone money that is not helping their own cause.

How do reports on weather that we all agree is changing sway anyone's mind?

How is it that we've had, in just two years time, a decades worth of extreme weather events, not convince someone that things are different or changing, or yes, indeed, WARMING!

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

But I'm a Republican...I Don't Believe in Global Warming, I'm Not a Scientist.... [Sarcasm]

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
The world is really changing and it's accelerating. The weather is really weird near me and I haven't seen such a variety in the climate in one week in my entire life. S + F because something is definitely up with nature.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Maybe I misunderstood your response. Did you just answer my question with a question? Please respond to the original question and, be kind enough to remind me that you asked me one as well.

The world is cyclic in nature we have warm cycles and we have cool cycles. I myself am enjoying this season much more than last season.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

So its just not because of Meat eaters and lovers of the cow alone...

Of course climate is changing....

I don't understand why people are confused... duh Salt Lake was under salt water 6 times..... hmmm seems a no brainer but then Al Gore wants free money is that not what he sold his shot of POTUS to W for and a Nobel....

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: IceHappy

So its just not because of Meat eaters and lovers of the cow alone...

Of course climate is changing....

I don't understand why people are confused... duh Salt Lake was under salt water 6 times..... hmmm seems a no brainer but then Al Gore wants free money is that not what he sold his shot of POTUS to W for and a Nobel....

You guys always say this...it's your way out, but what your speaking of is something has occurred 6 times over millions of years. This is cyclical climate change that takes hundreds of thousands of years to occur. What we are talking about right now is occurring in a matter of a few decades. It's like comparing apples to oranges, there's a pretty big (and obvious) difference.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The point is the climate is changing much faster than it has ever done so before, and human emissions are the root cause.

If we want to avoid catastrophic climate change within our lifetimes, then something has to be done now.

Well in fairness, something had to be done 20 years ago. Now? It's probably too late.

And the reason it is too late? Too many people buried their heads in the sand and refused to accept there was a problem.

And I think this is why people get very frustrated and angry with climate change deniers. Because those of us who believe the mass of science that is around now, see climate change deniers as being the people most responsible for the almost certain horrible deaths of quite possibly ourselves, and definitely our children.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Lets talk about what's been done. Clean technology has been bought patented and suppressed. Companies sell their excess pollution rights to other companies. You probably know of many more ways we've made changes for this cause.

Its a scam. Yes, we should get to a point where there is less pollution. Until those selling us pollution are done making money off of it we won't.

a reply to: Painterz

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
The point is the climate is changing much faster than it has ever done so before, and human emissions are the root cause.

If we want to avoid catastrophic climate change within our lifetimes, then something has to be done now.

Well in fairness, something had to be done 20 years ago. Now? It's probably too late.

And the reason it is too late? Too many people buried their heads in the sand and refused to accept there was a problem.

And I think this is why people get very frustrated and angry with climate change deniers. Because those of us who believe the mass of science that is around now, see climate change deniers as being the people most responsible for the almost certain horrible deaths of quite possibly ourselves, and definitely our children.

Well said!

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   

What in the world are you talking about now?... Do you understand that climate can and DOES change NATURALLY?... Why is it that some people seem to think it must be "just because of mankind" when the climate has been ALWAYS changing?...

BTW, why do you, and other people like you, continue to ignore the fact that the Earth has been warming since the early 1600s, which is about 280 years before the high of the industrial revolution?...

As worldwide borehole temperature readings show.

Why, do people like you also ignore the fact, for example, that despite lies from those like you that "the sun is not a major cause" we know that magnetic storms from our Sun have been increasing in frequency which means solar magnetic intensity had/s been on an increase until the sudden drop in 2006?

Figure 12: The annual number of magnetic storms is represented by each bar of the histogram. Superimposed is the smoothed sunspot number. The dashed lines indicate solar minima and the dotted lines indicate solar maxima. Note the correlation of magnetic activity with solar activity and the apparent increase in magnetic activity with time

www.geomag.bgs.ac.uk...

The increase in solar magnetic activity should have been causing changes in Earth's interior and would be one of the major causes of why the interior of the Earth has been warming since the 1600s meanwhile many parts of the world were still experiencing the Little Ice Age... Nothing to do with CO2...

edit on 20-8-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add link.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz

WRONG... The climate has changed much faster in times in the past and it has been much WORSE than it has been until now. For example...

Extreme Nile floods and famines in Medieval Egypt (AD 930–1500) and their climatic implications

Fekri A. Hassan

Abstract

Nile gauge records of variations in Nile floods from the 9th century to the 15th century AD reveal pronounced episodes of low Nile and high Nile flood discharge. Historical data reveal that this period was also characterized by the worst known famines on record. Exploratory comparisons of variations in Nile flood discharge with high-resolution data on sea surface temperature of the North Atlantic climate from three case studies suggest that rainfall at the source of the Nile was influenced by the North Atlantic Oscillation. However, there are apparently flip-flop reversals from periods when variations in Nile flood discharge are positively related to North Atlantic warming to periods where the opposite takes place. The key transitions occur at∼AD 900, 1010, 1070, 1180, 1350 and 1400. The putative flip-flop junctures, which require further confirmation, appear to be quite rapid and some seem to have had dramatic effects on Nile flood discharge, especially if they recurred at short intervals, characteristic of the period from the 9th to the 14th century, coincident with the so-called Medieval Warm Period. The transition from one state to the other was characterized by incidents of low, high or a succession of both low and high extreme floods. The cluster of extreme floods was detrimental causing famines and economic disasters that are unmatched over the last 2000 years.

www.sciencedirect.com...

It is actually a known fact that the climate has changed within a decade, and even within a few years in past climate cycles.

When people don't know what actually happened in the past, they are bound to make false conclusions blindly made from a lack of knowledge on the topic being discussed.

Not only was the sun's activity increasing, meanwhile the AGW fanatics claimed the opposite, but we know that the Earth's own magnetic field has been weakening dramatically, more so in some areas than others, and in fact in the last 7-8 months this dramatic change of Earth's magnetic field worsened and sped up...

Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now

by Kelly Dickerson | July 08, 2014 11:29am ET

Changes measured by the Swarm satellite over the past 6 months shows that Earth's magnetic field is changing. Shades of red show areas where it is strengthening, and shades of blue show areas that are weakening.
Credit: ESA/DTU
View full size image

Earth's magnetic field, which protects the planet from huge blasts of deadly solar radiation, has been weakening over the past six months, according to data collected by a European Space Agency (ESA) satellite array called Swarm.

The biggest weak spots in the magnetic field — which extends 370,000 miles (600,000 kilometers) above the planet's surface — have sprung up over the Western Hemisphere, while the field has strengthened over areas like the southern Indian Ocean, according to the magnetometers onboard the Swarm satellites — three separate satellites floating in tandem.

www.livescience.com...

So guess what?... Climate changes will continue happening, and CO2 is NOT the cause...

But please go ahead and keep blaming it all on a natural building block needed for all life on this planet...

Way too many people don't seem the understand that CO2 is not confined to "oil"... CO2 is a building block of life on this planet, a planet where all life is CARBON BASED...

Too many people need to differentiate CO2, and toxic pollution. CO2 is not a pollutant as the EPA, and Hansen et al claim, heck they tried to label water vapor as a pollutant... Water vapor, a substance that is 99.9999% natural...

edit on 20-8-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Oh, let's not forget the "underwater volcanoes" which are known to be "warming" waters in many areas including many parts of the Antarctic...

Underwater volcanoes, not climate change, reason behind melting of West Antarctic Ice Sheet

By James Maynard, Tech Times | June 10, 10:43 PM

A tearing apart of the ground under the Antarctic ice sheet is adding to significant dangers for one of the world's most sensitive regions. Warm water is circulating under the ice sheet, contributing to its melting and slide toward the sea.
(Photo : University of Texas Institute Geophysics)

Melting of a major glacier system in western Antarctica may be caused by underwater volcanoes, and not by global climate change, according to new research.

Thwaites Glacier, a massive outlet for ice that empties into Pine Island Bay, is flowing at a rate of one-and-a-quarter miles per year. The bay opens up into the Amundsen Sea.

The Thwaites Glacier has been the subject of scrutiny by climatologists in the last few years, as new information about the severity of the melting becomes available. Traditional models had assumed heating from subterranean sources was fairly even around the region. New data provides details about areas where little was previously known.

University of Texas researchers studied how water moves underground in the region. They found liquid water was present in a greater number of sources than previously believed, and it is warmer than estimated in previous studies.

"It's the most complex thermal environment you might imagine. And then you plop the most critical, dynamically unstable ice sheet on planet Earth in the middle of this thing, and then you try to model it. It's virtually impossible," Don Blankenship, senior research scientist at the University of Texas, said.

www.techtimes.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Weather:

Weather is the state of the atmosphere, to the degree that it is hot or cold, wet or dry, calm or stormy, clear or cloudy.[1] Weather, seen from an anthropological perspective, is something all humans in the world constantly experience through their senses, at least while being outside.

~

Weather generally refers to day-to-day temperature and precipitation activity, whereas climate is the term for the average atmospheric conditions over longer periods of time.

Climate:

Climate is a measure of the average pattern of variation in temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, wind, precipitation, atmospheric particle count and other meteorological variables in a given region over long periods of time. Climate is different from weather, in that weather only describes the short-term conditions of these variables in a given region.

Climate (from Ancient Greek klima, meaning inclination) is commonly defined as the weather averaged over a long period.[3] The standard averaging period is 30 years,[4] but other periods may be used depending on the purpose.

The difference between climate and weather is usefully summarized by the popular phrase "Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get."

edit on 20-8-2014 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Yet Antarctic sea ice is at its most extensive ever, so it seems what the north looses, the south gains! What about all the reports of mean average global temperature staying the same for the last sixteen years? Europe continuing to have cold summers? Even reports of snow in the Namibian desert? Snow in New Zealand for the first time in seventy five years? Even a report of snow in Brazil? No, I do not have links, just a good memory, and sheets and sheets of printouts.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff
Not exactly.

Some of it ain't balancing such a thing.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

You are wrong in so many ways, but first, you should read my other threads in my signature, you'll see that I'm not a strong advocate for CO2, although it is a problem, my cause for concern is the levels of methane gas in our atmosphere, and in just the past 7 years. Methane gas is the real threat and you should do some research on it.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
Yet Antarctic sea ice is at its most extensive ever, so it seems what the north looses, the south gains! What about all the reports of mean average global temperature staying the same for the last sixteen years? Europe continuing to have cold summers? Even reports of snow in the Namibian desert? Snow in New Zealand for the first time in seventy five years? Even a report of snow in Brazil? No, I do not have links, just a good memory, and sheets and sheets of printouts.

Then you should have read the OP. In it, I have links that explain why certain areas are experiencing the extreme cold weather. It has everything to do with the jet stream bringing warm ocean air over areas like Alaska and northern Europe, that would normally be cooler, and then it pulls the Arctic cold air further south in other regions. Check it out.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join