It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US cannot lecture others on human rights, Amnesty says, as Egypt appeals for 'restraint'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Amnesty International has said that the United States must sort out its own human rights abuses before lecturing others, sentiments shared by Iran, Egypt and China. In a tweet this morning, Amnesty International said: “US can't tell other countries to improve their records on policing and peaceful assembly if it won't clean up its own human rights record.”

Their comments come as Egypt's Foreign Ministry appeals for restraint and asks the US to "respect the right of assembly and peaceful expression of opinion".

According to Daily News Egypt, an Egyptian spokesman supported comments made UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon yesterday, which called for the US authorities to deal with the situation as per "international and American standards".

UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric told reporters that Mr Ban "calls on all to exercise restraint, for law enforcement officials to abide by US and international standards in dealing with demonstrators".

China's state-run news agency Xinhua also published a scathing commentary yesterday, observing that while there is a mixed-raced President in power and though it has been 50 years since Martin Luther King's rousing speech, racial discrimination is still ubiquitous. It said that the racial divide "remains a deeply-rooted chronic disease that keeps tearing US society apart"

Amnesty International has also called for an investigation into the police tactics used during the unrest, “Our delegation travelled to Missouri to let the authorities in Ferguson know that the world is watching,” said Steven Hawkins, Executive Director of Amnesty International USA.

Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khameneihas also laid into America this week for - in his words “committing crimes against its own people” ... which to be honest is a bit rich coming from Iran

Still though, this is embarrassing for Obama. In its annual human rights report issued in February the United States have assaulted almost 200 countries across the world for their so-called poor human rights records.

[url=http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/michael-brown-shooting-us-cannot-lecture-others-on-human-rights-amnesty-says-9677800.html]link[/ url]

edit on 19-8-2014 by Lady_Tuatha because: typo

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Lady_Tuatha

To be honest, any of these criticisms coming from countries such as Egypt, China and Iran are pretty laughable. I'm not American but I don't like what's going on in Missouri. But then, I can criticise if I want because I'm not a country that regularly inflicts human rights abuses on it's own people, like the above three hypocritical countries.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: iskander683

I agree, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. But you cant really deny what Amnesty International are saying, it is very hypocritical to tell other countries to improve their records on policing and peaceful assembly if it cant clean up it's own.

swings and roundabouts.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Amnesty lost my respect when they didn't put themselves between themselves and the police.

I will no longer be paying any mind to Amnesty.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: iskander683

To be honest, any of these criticisms coming from countries such as Egypt, China and Iran are pretty laughable. I'm not American but I don't like what's going on in Missouri. But then, I can criticise if I want because I'm not a country that regularly inflicts human rights abuses on it's own people, like the above three hypocritical countries.

No, you're just a hipocrite that THINKS he lives in a country that doesn't inflict human rights issues on others.

US has always had issues, and always looked outside to hide their own issues ... probably the worlds greatest mass murderers the world has ever seen. But it hides itself behind bribes, and conflicts in foreign countries.

It's easy to point out China. But I've been to both countries ... and oddly enough, it's nothing like the movies.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
These countries taking a swipe at America is called: payback…as the US often gets on its high horse and lectures these countries about human rights.

There all hypocrites…including America

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Most of the people on this site disagree with politics in one way or another.

As a mother that is constantly resolving my children's issues I have their back in public. When we get to the car, " WTH is wrong with you!? " is usually my first sentence. If that makes me a hypocrite, I'll be that.

a reply to: bjarneorn

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I agree. I wasn't denying what Amnesty were saying at all.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: bjarneorn

Nice little personal attack for no apparent reason!

I think you may have misread my post, old chap but I forgive you.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Where the hell was Amnesty International when dozens of inner-city blacks were being killed by other blacks?

Hypocrites!

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Weren't the Amnesty observers supposedly among those arrested yesterday in Ferguson? I heard it on one of the feeds last night as a supposed fact, but then my computer crashed. Maybe someone can verify this?
edit on 19-8-2014 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

More to the point the US has wagged war across the middle east and left a million or so civilians dead.. Damm right they have no right to lecture about human rights...

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Honestly? it's refreshing to see countries that the US derides slap back. We're not above everyone else on the totem pole, getting knocked down a few pegs by being smacked upside with head with a dose of reality is a refreshing notion.

These 3 countries might have poor records themselves, but it takes an abuser to point out one. For once, I do appreciate their input because it's blatant unapologetic American hypocrisy being pointed out in front of everyone. And we can't twist it around in our favor through "saving the locals" excuses this time.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
Amnesty lost my respect when they didn't put themselves between themselves and the police.

I will no longer be paying any mind to Amnesty.

While watching the livestream last night I noticed one such individual put himself between the protesters and the police..of course it did not do any good. He was trying to help a woman get to her home, but first she needed to cross through the line of police who subsequently surrounded her and arrested her.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Just because these countries have a bad record when it comes to human rights,doesn't make what they are saying any less true. The US points out everyone elses wrongdoing and expects the world to believe that it never does anything wrong to its own citizens.yeah right.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Please let me know the answer to that. I made a point of not giving in the any more of the hype last night.

a reply to: aboutface

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Ty for that answer. They should have done that the first night instead of being capture on camera in mass standing there. It certainly took them long enough to make the right choice. I am glad one did.
a reply to: threeeyesopen

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
Ty for that answer. They should have done that the first night instead of being capture on camera in mass standing there. It certainly took them long enough to make the right choice. I am glad one did.
a reply to: threeeyesopen

I thought the point of observers was to get a firsthand neutral account of what's going on somewhere before getting further involved?

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding the point of observers of any kind, I was under the impression that's what Amnesty was doing.

top topics

join