It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone wake up feeling extremely depressed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   
If you do, how do you deal with it?

There are some nights where I go to sleep feeling very good about myself, but then when I wake up in the morning I wake up feeling extremely depressed and isolated.

I'll lay there on my bed and reminisce about my childhood and how unfair my life has been.

I usually wake up at 5 am and go for a long run, that seems to get me in a better mood for the rest of the day.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Waking up at 5 would put me on a downer any day.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Try leaving a list on the side of your bed with all the things you have to be happy and glad about along with a list of what you plan to do that day.
You could also try putting your radio on timed so you have something to listen to as you wake.
Yes - it's a horrible feeling but you have to fight it.......

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7 sounds just like me lol except going for a run the way i deal with it is my kids i have no choice but to try to put a smile on my face and just get on with my day sometimes i feel so bad i wish i hadnt woken up meditation is good but i never get the chance good luck

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   

I was in a similar state of mind a few months ago. I was never an alcoholic but loved beer and wings. I completely changed my diet. I consume about 200 g of protein a day with lots of fresh fruit and veggies. I cut out sugars other than that from natural foods. I also began exercising for about 1 to 2 hours daily. No more depression and I'm losing weight as well. A win win!

edit on 8/19/2014 by GNOarmy because: (no reason given)

ETA: I am 42 year old male.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   

I do not wake up depressed in the traditional sense. It takes me about three hours to get myself together in the morning, unless I am awoken in haste to deal with an emergent situation. This is because when I open my eyes, the chances are that I feel worse than when I went to bed, in terms of fatigue.

However I do not wake up with tears in my eyes, lamenting the state of the world and my place within it, even though some might say that I have reason to do so! That is not to say that I have never done such a thing, but it is not at all regular, and even less so these days than it used to be when I was a nipper.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

I used to get up a 5am, go to work, go to bed at 1-2am, 5 days a week. Workout 3 times week on top of that. I did that same routine for a long time. And I'm not a morning person, at all. Kind of thing that makes you really appreciate sleeping in.

I'll lay there on my bed and reminisce about my childhood and how unfair my life has been.

I usually do that before I go to sleep, thinking about how much happier things were back in the day, especially if I find a throw back on Youtube/online that takes me back, I get lost in the nostalgia. Man, if I could go back....

But I I can't, none of us can, so it's best to not think of the past so much. "Keep looking forward, always keep moving forward".
edit on 19-8-2014 by kx12x because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-8-2014 by kx12x because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
It is good you are doing some exercise as it does help a lot. For me it is Taekwando but that is not until the evenings. I always feel better afterwards, stronger, clearer, healthier, more energized and less stressed. Occasionally a little sore or bruised but it is all in good fun.

Being on this site with a lot of news it does get depressing. Depending with what else is going on in your life it can very quickly get harder to get out of bed in the mornings. When I did start taking anti depressants (Desvenlafaxine SNRI) one of the first things I noticed was feeling better and less depressed when waking up. I have been on them a few months now and so far so good.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
As a psychologist as well as someone having the worst year of my life, I will tell you that I believe in a few therapies...
Music therapy
Nature therapy
Animal therapy
Passion therapy
Ocean therapy... there are probably some more im forgetting.

Music is a fascinating resonance to the human psyche... psychoacoustics has been used since ancient times to change people's moods. Being in nature makes many people feel better, as the stress and void spiritless digital age makes people feel alone and dead. Animals have always been favourites to treat depression in elderly homes as they give unconditional love and dont judge. Passion referring to whatever you are passionate about, if you have a hobby, work hard at it. And the ocean... for whatever reason, we breathe easier there and that helps to relax us.

However if you are clinically depressed (no discernible reason), you may have a chemical imbalance that requires medication. But try the other stuff first!

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
When I wake up depressed (mostly every morning), I drink coffee and smoke cigarettes.

I guess sooner or later cancer and heart disease will snuff that depression out.... if I don't get run over by a bus first.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   

At my age, I'm just happy to wake up in the morning!

I wake up in pain usually every morning. But I am also thankful for so many things and people in my life that it outweighs any issues I may have.

It' all about perspective, in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I have sleep issues due to depression, i can lay down for hours and not be able to sleep, or fall asleep for a few hours then wake up and my head is racing and cant go back to bed. I tried medication, sleeping pills, the only thing that kinda works is a mantra i learned, i repeat it in my head and it sometimes helps me sleep.

When my alarm rings i get up and start stretching, shower then bike to work, a little bit of excercise helps me start my day.

I wish you the best my friend, if you ever need someone to chat just shoot me a text, dont be affraid sometimes all we need is someone to listen.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I mostly wake up in a good mood, ready to take on the day.

But it's all downhill from there.

I've always considered sleep to similar to a legal narcotic. While my dreams are mostly reality based, sometimes I have a great time flying or going on a adventure that I know I will never actually do.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I hear ya, but I am the opposite. I wake up in a great mood and when it is time to go to bed I get depressed and this makes it harder to fall asleep. I just lay awake rethinking my life. But I am pretty sure a lot of people deal with this, so just remember you are not alone. Just live your life the way you see fit.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I wake up wishing I could just sleep all day because its the only time depression doesn't hurt so bad and im much happier in my dreams. But its my beautiful girlfriend that helps me get up and get through the day.

Peace

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Make sure you aren't drinking alcohol and eating excessive amounts of carbohydrates.

Here are some things that can cause depression that are fairly easy fixes(unless you are alcoholic):

-Quit alcohol
-Quit tobacco
-Go on high fat ketogenic diet(give this one at least a month before passing judgement)
-Do moderate cardio for 30 minutes a day

If your depression doesn't go away after doing the above steps then I'd start worrying.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Easier said than done! I look forward to my fridays because of drinking I feel like without that I would get depressed. As for smoking, depression is one of the symptoms I get when I attempt to quit which I do not understand because I should be happy quiting those death sticks.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
When I wake up in a low mood, I stay off the internet and get active.

I try to set myself up to NOT wake up depressed by cleaning my house before I go to bed so it looks nice when I wake up. For me that makes a huge difference. I try to eat semi-healthy and exercise. I like having my coffee before I speak to anyone. Then I think about my day, and what I hope to accomplish, rather than dwelling on what I didn't accomplish the previous day.
edit on 19-8-2014 by MojaveBurning because: spelling

edit on 19-8-2014 by MojaveBurning because: spelling with two L's

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Shepard64

That's the nature of addiction. Edit: That's why I said it is an easy fix UNLESS you are alcoholic. In that case you have entered the realm of addiction and it takes a lot more work to get through.

It takes about 2-3 months for the positive effects of quitting to kick in. Up until that point you will be experiencing the worst stages of withdraw(both physically and mentally).

The long term benefits of quitting both alcohol and tobacco are well worth the depression experienced while going through withdraw. Both exercise and a ketogenic diet help as well with the getting through the addiction. They also help in general as far as mental and physical health is concerned.

Good luck and I hope you're able to get through the initial harshness and onto the road of recovery. You will feel 10 times better. This viewpoint comes from experience.
edit on 19-8-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
You no, I also wake up every morning feeling like there's no point in living.
But when I go to bed I feel great,been like it for years.
I don't believe there is a way to stop it,I find if you just get up as soon as you wake up and don't lie in bed thinking to much.
I have also found taking a couple of tramadol puts you in a great mood all day but very hard to get hold of.

new topics

top topics

join