It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where did the oxalic acid come from?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Just finished a picky-plate for dinner, with some pickles, mozzarella, aged cheddar, and bacon.

My mouth feels dry and gritty, it's a very familiar sensation just like oxalic acid causes, some foods like spinach do this to me too.

My wonder comes from that fact that I can't find information about any significant quantities of oxalic acid in any of those foods I just ate. I figured it was probably the pickles, but it appears oxalic acid is used for picking hides, not food items.

Any ideas on what's causing the dry gritty mouth feeling? I'm not worried or anything, just really curious what the source is since oxalic acid doesn't seem to be the culprit.

edit on 19-8-2014 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: James1982

It's like an unfinished symphony. You needed to wash it down slowly with a nice wine.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   

What a random post that sucked me in when I actually should be sleeping! The cucumbers do contain oxalic acid. Not as much as a leafy green like spinach, but it does have some. Remember how pickles are made (I searched pickles too and pulled up the bit about tanning hides too)! I'd also imagine that the vinegar used in pickling probably adds to the irritation of the mouth.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Probably is the pickles, didn't think about the cucumbers, perhaps everything being pretty salty intensified the effects or something. It was so bad I was getting like gritty crystal buildup stuff on my teeth.

I was thinking it might be an odd thread. When I get curious about something I can't stop thinking about it until I've satisfied myself. Kinda like a kid always asking "what's that? Why? How?" I just never had that driven out of me

I was actually drinking some breakside passionfruit sour ale too, maybe the tartness of that also added to everything.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   

It came from planet-X

We are all doomed (but some more than others).

new topics

top topics

join