MIT Explains How to Turn an Old Car Battery Into a Solar Cell

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
This is interesting, ATS. It may also be useful when the ruckus comes and we are forced to flee the city and live in the country-side. Anyway, MIT has posted a video explaining how to turn an old car battery into a Solar Cell.

It's a pretty incredible project, not only from a technical perspective but a broader societal one. The world is about to have a major dilemma on its hands, if toxic car batteries are no longer recycled to make new car batteries. "Once the battery technology evolves, over 200 million lead-acid batteries will potentially be retired in the United States, and that could cause a lot of environmental issues," one researcher told MIT News.

This is a way to transfer the embodied value of one technology into a newer, more nascent one, and it's a solution to a problem that's going to rear its head again and again in the future. We'd do well to focus on figuring out other ways to funnel the other rare earth minerals, metals, and materials from our outgoing tech into the new. [MIT News]

No conspiracy here. I just thought this is pretty cool. What says ATS?

gizmodo.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Nice fine OP! I happen to have an old battery that is going to need replacement in 2 of my vehicles. I wish I was able to try this but I would probably end up blowing up my garage somehow.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation
Nice fine OP! I happen to have an old battery that is going to need replacement in 2 of my vehicles. I wish I was able to try this but I would probably end up blowing up my garage somehow.

Thanks! I'm sure that this information will really come in handy fir some.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Lost Book, couldn't you summarize? I could have decided to read the link or not.

Now I have to actually read the article to see if this is feasible with materials at hand.

Having to read the article is OK, but I have freaking dial-up!

OK, I read it. Apparently it is an industrial process needing specialized equipment.
edit on 19-8-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: added last comment

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
At most places, when you buy a new battery, they take your old battery and knock a "core price" off the charge. So, many batteries get reconditioned. But still, there's room for improvement. Cool thread and good info

new topics

top topics

join