It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ferguson, MO and Police Brutality- Ask Jesse

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Hello fellow truth seekers,

I want to know what you all think of the recent events in Ferguson and on police brutality in general? Whose side do you believe more- the police or protestors?

I'd love to also get any thoughts on this article posted on Mother Jones this morning.

Stay tuned this week for my coverage on the topic and to see some of your comments/questions answered and included in the show.
edit on 18-8-2014 by JesseVentura because:

edit on 18-8-2014 by JesseVentura because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JesseVentura

If we're talking about the events after the shooting then I would have to say the police are correct to crack down on violent protesters.

The 12:00 curfew seems reasonable. Why protest at 1:00 in the morning?

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Here are my opinions.

On the Michael Brown shooting: I really have no opinion at this point because all the facts aren't known. I can honestly see it going either way. It is possible that Darren Wilson was way overzealous and shot Michael Brown when he didn't need to, either out of anger or out of just being drunk on power. I also think it is possible that Darren Wilson shot Michael Brown because Brown assaulted him and was threatening him again.

On the protests (daytime): I think what the Ferguson community has been doing during the day has been fantastic. Mostly peaceful protests with a purpose and a cause.

On the protests (nighttime): These have done nothing good. Nothing good for the cause, nothing good for the city, and nothing good for the community.

On the police response: I think the police have done what they have had to do to attempt to control a crowd that turns into a mob every night and gets out of hand. I haven't seen any police brutality during the response to the nighttime protests, I actually think that for a riot/looting/mob situation that they police have been restrained in the their response. I think that Governor Nixon has made the problem worse by restraining the police, which allows the situation to flare up, then the police have to respond in force again...and it seems like he is repeating that cycle tonight by removing the curfew.

Those are my thoughts and opinions.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Many current threads on this topic. Personally my feelings have evolved as this event have evolved. What I see now is the early stages of a police state ruled by a progressive oligarchy. The framework is already in place.

Also did you start this thread and sign out right away?? It is nice when the OP replies in threads they start no matter how famous.
edit on 18-8-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-8-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

For those affected and others paying attention, this is an unacceptable affront to human rights.
The LEO's constantly fight for their secrecy and supremacy of their safety.

Protecting public safety is supposed to be their job. Not state sponsored terrorism.

The case isn't clear yet but the authoritarians are spinning up for a big exploit on the racial / class animus. Faux News is pure garbage and a large segment of the population eats it up.

I'm sick of white on black racism and the denialism that is an absolute mockery of the oppressed. Same as Zionists in Gaza. I withdraw consent and will leave if I can convince the fam. The ignorance and malice is unbearable.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

This is an intuitive feeling on my part...but I do feel that some of the trouble makers...among the peaceful protestors are undercover plants by TPTB.

I feel that the policeman that did the shooting was wrong and needs to be held accountable; I also think that he may be in an (good old boys club) in that area...and may have some friends in high places; again (in that area).

I also think that this (Ferguson incident) may over time have some domino effects across the U.S. and there may be some major civil unrest...and TPTB will then put into effect Marital Law.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
All the facts are not on the table so we really don´t know what happened. But i believe these demonstrations were orchestrated at first but it took a path of their own, maybe it was supposed to happen.
Mob mentality and crowd psychology in general are in the works there. At the daytime everything is peaceful but when night comes hell is on the loose. Its not anymore about demostrations alone but also a mob mentality when some inviduals seek for adrenaline boost and turn into idiots, being in a crowd its escalates as they say "more people you put together more stupid actions they make " .

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JesseVentura
Whose side do you believe more- the police or protestors?

Belief is much too subjective. Based on the evidence, neither side has a moral authority.

It doesn't help that 'evil' police and 'evil' thugs embed themselves within those police and those citizens who just want to go back to living a normal day. It sours the bunch.

Innocent civilians minding their lives getting caught up in the politicization/militarization process.

edit on 18-8-2014 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I cannot really weigh in on the shooting incident itself until more information is available. I will say that looting/arson are despicable, and I am confident that these actions are being perpetrated by a tiny minority of the protesters (if they are protesters and not simply opportunists).

Here are some thoughts:
* The police spoke of "smoke only" being deployed on Saturday, only to be found out to be deploying tear gas. Why lie? If tear gas is legal/appropriate, they should use it where required. "We're not gassing anyone!" is a bit suspicious.
* The police are actively arresting/detaining/blocking/relocating journalists away from the actual events. Why not show it for what it is? If there's nothing to hide, they have nothing to worry about, right?
* The police say they were fired upon last night which prompted their gas/rubber bullet attacks. Have they any video/bullet-holes to show us? Surely a police presence of that size would be tough to miss if fired upon. I saw fireworks, and they make similar noises. If the police reacted to fireworks as firearms, I am concerned with the lack of discipline.
* Snipers on armoured trucks? Isn't sniping very specific targeting? Hardly 'crowd control.'
* Why were there SWAT teams breaking off into side streets last night with assault rifles at the ready? If they were asking for the protesters to disperse, why follow them when they do?

I think a lack of communication is the larger problem.

I'm concerned that, as with the Occupy protests, the presence of police dressed - and armed - as combat soldiers almost guarantees some sort of conflict.

I have no problem with law enforcement so long as the LEOs (a) stay within the law themselves, (b) know the laws they are enforcing [rather than just following a directive], (c) communicate effectively.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

LESSON #1: Social, racial and economic tensions in this country remain a very real problem. They threaten us all.

And I have posted this elsewhere:

LESSON #2: Apparently, we are content with any infringement upon the public's constitutional rights, if it can be shown a few don't deserve them. Or put another way, our rights as citizens are contingent upon the behavior of others.

Under this standard, no constitutional protection is safe from removal.

edit on 18-8-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

From the perspective of an American citizen gazing at great distance into the streets of Ferguson, and without knowledge of the situation beyond that provided by media coverage, on the ground uploads to social media, etc. I find myself in response to events on the ground there alternating between states of disbelief and outrage. From the use of non-lethal projectiles, flash bang grenades and CS gas rounds on protesters, to the law enforcement show of force complete with scoped rifles traversed over unarmed civilians gathered on the streets of their hometown, the police response as a whole to events in Ferguson has been questionable from the outset and quite likely in violation of our constitutional rights.

Like most other law abiding citizens I do not condone the destruction of private property, the wanton theft of products from businesses as supposed means of protest or in outrage no matter how righteous, nor do I believe in sewing the seeds of (limited) open revolt in order to win justice for perceived government wrongdoing at this time in America's history. That said, I can sympathize with Ferguson residents' need to exercise their constitutional right to peaceably assemble and protest (any time of day or night), and in my opinion Governor Nixon's curfew was constitutionally questionable.

Both the media and government (local level up to the White House) have lent a labyrinthine treatment to--and in so doing convoluted unnecessarily (intentionally)--ongoing Ferguson incidents into something that resembles some kind of psychological warfare operation, or perhaps I am simply confused. Information suppression, disinformation, tainted news stories carried by major media outlets and shocking but questionable stories run by independent journalists--all on top of tweeted eye witness accounts, accounts of witnesses to Brown's shootings, timely leaked video of his crime--it's all truly become quite a maze.

Overall, I do not approve of either a militarized police, the curfew, the deployment of the National Guard or the mass racial hatred directed at Brown and his community.

Speaking to the Mother Jones article written by Molly Redden, I found it to be an informative, objective and well composed composite of recent Ferguson events with the addition of embedded tweets, photos and video. I added the site to my favorites and will check back for updates. Major news outlets had until recently given Ferguson very little coverage, so it is good to come across an effort to lay out the whirlwind of ongoing events there in one place.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I'm not taking a side on the shooting incident. We do not have all the facts to come to any sort of conclusion.

But I do believe the police actions with the protesters have gone too far and we need to have a national discussion on the militarization and brutality of our LEO's.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I think it's a great article and it underscores the only way that the complete story of Ferguson will be told - through social media and first hand accounts. The MSM coverage of the scene has been deplorable, if not downright complicit with authorities.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Should the military, swat, etc., come in during protests? Absolutely not. Should they when widespread looting, rioting, arson, violence starts? Indeed, they should. Do people need to protest at midnight? Nope. I would imagine that there's a noise order in effect. If not, still, it would be rude to be doing such things this late at night. Some people have to get up for work. And besides, the people you are protesting are in bed. It's better to protest them while they're at work.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I think it may come out that this guy did bumrush the cop and the cop did what he was trained to do, shoot until the threat was over. The bigger story is how law enforcement reacted to the mobs. They went full JackBooted thug... Pointing M4's at unarmed people, pushing people around, arresting media, scoping the crowd with weapon from atop armored cars. It was like East German Stasi swept in and was on full parade. Scary stuff if you ask me. Let us remember, regardless of what the cops say, no cops were shot, if cops were injured i would like to see the medical reports. It's the mentality of law enforcement that is the issue. They seem like wanna be SOF guys. Can't wait to gear up with their toys. We should take away all those toys. If you have assault gear you will find a way to use it.

V

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

LESSON #1: Social, racial and economic tensions in this country remain a very real problem. They threaten us all.

And I have posted this elsewhere:

LESSON #2: Apparently, we are content with any infringement upon the public's constitutional rights, if it can be shown a few don't deserve them. Or put another way, our rights as citizens are contingent upon the behavior of others.

Under this standard, no constitutional protection is safe from removal.

Yes, what the frog said

I'll also add that I find dark humor in the fact that militias will line up to protect cows right to eat public grass but don't seem to care about the right to live. It was interesting to note than in regards to Bundy, when people came armed and defiant the government flinched, when we don't they launch countless tear gas canisters up our ass.
edit on 18-8-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

First, the cops do not have a death wish and this is why they wear the military-style gear. They want to go home to their families after the shift ends. This is like a catcher in baseball who has the pitcher throwing at him for a couple of hours. The cops are no different and want to be protected.

Was the cop guilty of wrong doing? There is too much mud being thrown to make any judgement at this point. There is too much disinformation coming from all sources. This is where you should be looking for their motivation.

The interlopers is another story to be investigated. The New Black Panthers and the riming reverends needn't be stirring the pot and keeping emotions hot. These are the people that need to be held responsible for any injuries or deaths during this unrest.

Next, is the news media. They appear to be fueling this situation by carrying the story 24/7 much like the Travon Martin trial. It would interesting to discover what price (lives) the media would pay to fill it's news cycles.

Finally, our federal government injecting itself into every incident like this...beer summit, Martin trial and Ferguson riots but remains mute on black on white crime. The state and local government are incompetent as well and an investigation screams for your attention.

edit on 18-8-2014 by buddah6 because: lobotomized through superior pain meds.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I just saw a video by Dahboo77 where he presented pictures showing what are alleged to be new black panther members, preparing molotov cocktails - supposedly supported by a communist group/-organisation.

Where have I seen this before ....................

Maidan - Molotovs and Nazis!

Be careful out there on these protests, it looks like someone is trying to turn up the heat.

edit on 18-8-2014 by Soapusmaximus because: video

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Strong arm tactics in local neighbourhood stores i understand,,when establishing territory,, but i do not understand gang culture enough too know if ,

the gang element was comming too Ferguson,,or even if there was/is, gang activity in that neighbourhood.

Can anyone elaborate, or is that tabboo?
curious.
edit on 8/18/2014 by BobAthome because: is

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Gotta say Jesse,I find it quite telling they HANDED police military arms,no training ,not the usual red tape. I think they WANTED the situation to blow up so the local LEOs were used like a trip wire force.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join