It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When is a thigh bone not a thigh bone? When it's a rock on Mars!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
We're getting closer.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Good new picture, the Rover crew is aiming to smash some rocks, but might not want to smash the rock thigh (Rock and Roll Martian Style), or may just decide to dust it off a little to see what's popping. The "thigh bone" is getting lots of news, mainly for that UFO group who is probably rolling in ad offers from the same advertisers who irritate us. Your analysis seems pretty close to what this actually is, although the crown of the "bone rock" has a look-alike shape to what people imagine bones look like. Probably far from what they really look like.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
The rover saw it first '-'
Give the credits to the rover '-'
Ok, jk
This bone-rock-thing, if it's really a bone could re-write the history

I just imagine the non-believer saying that's (if it's proven to be really a bone) fake

But don't let's precipitate our actions...
edit on 22-8-2014 by Yuuma because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I love this stuff!!

I have a feeling that when we get to Mars we are going to find a lot more interesting things than dusty old bones!

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   
This story is on the front page of Bing. It's officially hit mainstream.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
When I saw this earlier come across my news feed, I called my husband over.

"Hun, what is that", I asked him, without telling him we were looking at a picture taken on Mars.

"A bone." he said.

"Okay, well... that's a bone on Mars.", I informed him.

"It's a rock that looks like a bone." he amended.

CdT

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: CirqueDeTruth

Do any fossilized bones look like this on earth, or is the top half and the bottom shape just what people think bones look like.

The rock, if it were a bone (which don't look like that, I figure), could be thin in places because the gravity on Mars is a percentage of Earth's gravity, the planet being much smaller in mass.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Pretty awesome pic. Why don't we drill it to see what it is and end all the speculation? Use the dust brush around the area do see if there is anything else like it there? That's what I would do if I was Nasa. Also get some different angles and better pics...up close pics.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I think they said the ground was too soft there to drill... and drive.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: gspat
WOOT!

I was quoted in the Huffington Post!

'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life

Nice. Although they didn't use your name or ATS's name on your quote, and actually left out many words in between two sections without showing that on the page. All in all pretty irresponsible journalism.

And from the same page, more irresponsible journalism, how big do they think this few inch long bone is???

For keen alien hunters, the image above - taken by the rover’s MastCam on August 14 – is proof that large animals once roamed Mars, possibly even dinosaurs.

I know one reporter who will never win a Pulitzer Prize unless he really gets his act together, very rookie mistakes - both not naming the person quoted and in vastly overestimating the size of the rock/bone, likely without even thinking of checking on it (or else he would have got the size right).

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
He works as a journalist, I think they took fact checking out of the job requirements a few years ago!

Still, was impressive to see at least SOME of what I wrote slapped on it. My daughter was impressed!

Did you notice the grammar error in the article title?

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: symptomoftheuniverse

These are not nowt

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Your first mistake was confusing Huffpo with genuine journalism.

The rest is just typical of their legion (thousands if not more) of "contributors". 4 of which I MAY have actually graduated from a legitimate School of Journalism. I could be (and most likely I am) overestimating the number.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I hate to time-table such things, but a day will come for this planet when others (intelligent life from not here) disbelieve the photos taken of long dead civilizatons (us).

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: funbox

ArMaP spotted this one days ago .. he's being a bit quite about it

funbox

You should be involved in these things on reddit if you're not. I love that

Damn it, ATS needs a section for things like this, it would showcase skill and keep miscreants off youtube posing things as real

So. it's an Eye Bone. he has no mouth or nose however, so this is proof that there is no atmosphear on Mars !!1

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   
It looks like a bone, But i dont believe it is a bone.
If you look at the areas aroundthis image you will see that there is surface plating that are clearly "jointed" .
I have seen in australian outback similar joints in sandstone / water formations.
these jointings can form very unusual shapes and yes bone like shapes. I have found such!.
I suspect they drilled here and broke up the surface crusting plates to check for water and other minerals.
Seeing these formations gives indication of water seepage and possible chemical actions taking place current or past.
The freshly broken areas are fresh and most likely done by the rover. The markings on the image are clearly the tire tracks from the rover.
It would be helpful if the images had captions saying what they had done and why, this would save a lot of speculation.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I don't think any of us really believe it's actually a bone.. well, MAYBE some do.

The rover drove over the formation, I guess the bone-rock popped out for easier viewing.

Do you have any images of those rocks you mentioned from the Australian outback?
edit on 24-8-2014 by gspat because: added stuff

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
UNfortunately i dont, was abut 25y ago.
But here is an example i pulled from the web, in china,, now it shows eroded sandstones that are jointed, and weathered away. it is not what i was talking about but gives the idea, if one one these raise edges were broken off and patially buried n sand and re weathered over eons of time it could give a similar appearance.

"i would have posted an image but... ats dont like uploads!"

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

thanks for the compliment , and to all those that have so in the past , my apologies , I do not take compliments well and find them a little disconcerting ..

offers of work however will be greatly appreciated .. the slow boat I think is in the same place as that amazing vanishing plane , and gif juice don't come cheap

do reddit pay perchance ?

funbox

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join