It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Plane Tech Could Power Hypersonic Aircraft​ for US Military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Engine technology being developed for a British space plane could also find its way into hypersonic aircraft built by the U.S. military.

The U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory is studying hypersonic vehicles that would use the Synergetic Air-Breathing Rocket Engine (SABRE), which the English company Reaction Engines Ltd. is working on to power the Skylon space plane, AFRL officials said.

Very interesting concept, I wonder how many years are we away to see a working prototype?

www.space.com...

Here is the video

www.space.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

I wondered when the military would get in on this if it hasn't already.

Especially the USA.

If the UK got Skylon up before any comparable white world tec then that would be it, UK would dominate again as all civilian space would be "ours".

Sure the USA wants a piece of that pie...... Hopefully it doesn't eat the whole thing and leave the UK with crumbs.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

The UK and Euro Science weenies on the NASA Advanced Concepts forum don't think so due to US technology laws and regulations. but there is a a huge thread on Skylon/sabre over there. including contributors that work for the company making it. in fact there have been to this date 4 equally huge threads on it. periodically the staff closes and locks the thread for purposes of keeping the topic organized and then starts it as a new thread.

forum.nasaspaceflight.com...

dislcaimer; that is not the place to go even slightly fringe topic. you and your posts or threads will get canned. They protect NASA's professional reputation zealously over there. your alternate theory to relativity or gravity or your salvage yard ice cube maker turned antigravity device is not welcome.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok
I am sure as always the USA and the UK would be a dual effort to get it up and running.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
ironically as i was posting here someone posted something in that NASA thread that seems to support a joint project with the USAF. this after all the harping by Euro and UK skylon afficiandos WRT the restraining entanglements related to CRADA and other US law. you see if the skylon group enters into agreements with US govt or companies it really ties their hands on what they can do with their baby. but apparently they may have made a deal with teh debil as it were.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I thought the SR-72 was gonna use this engine at first instead of the aerojet rocketdyne engine.

new topics

top topics

join