It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Citizens beware...New Police trick taking place. Would this one upset you? Scamming the innocent.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic
Get rid of your land line.

Couldn't happen with a cell phone.

Yet.

You are wrong.

It can happen with a cell phone.
www.aclu.org...
electronics.howstuffworks.com...

Its well known in calif that you can pick up a phone from thrift store or other source and i will still work on 911 even if the phone is not authorized.

You have someone you don't like a drug dealer criminal ECT ECT ECT
Just take this cell phone and walk up to a outside wall of there house at 0 dark 30 and make a domestic abuse call and give the address.

Criminals and drug dealer do not like the cops raiding there homes.
And one of two things are likely to happen when the cops get there. if the cops see drugs the dealer is going to jail.
Or if the cops do not see drugs it will scare the c##p out of the criminal and he will move.

In Calif we call this "Cell Phone Street Justice" great way to clean up a neighborhood and untraceable by the criminals.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Here is a list covering just some ways that 911 can be inadvertently dialed.

www.911dispatch.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: igor_ats

I can certainly identify with your friends situation. I have personally had Strathclyde Police Drug Squad officers batter their way into my flat with a ram leaving the door in 3 different pieces, nearly kill my Dog, huckle both myself and 9 month pregnant girl friend, strip search me and then completely turn over the premises. New baby clothing, nappies and other items also opened, carpets, flooring and fire surrounds all ripped up and out looking for an imaginary kilo of who knows what.

Why you may ask? All for a search warrant in a different name, dude was not even the same colour as myself. Did they apologise for their actions, did they hell, you see that would have been an admission of guilt!

edit on 18-8-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

You have someone you don't like a drug dealer criminal

I think that's pretty disgusting. Calling 911 on someone because you don't like them. If they're a criminal or a drug dealer why not just call the police and let them know instead of using dirty underhanded tricks?

How about a third thing that can happen and the criminals start shooting because police are knocking on their door in the middle of the night over a bogus 911 call? Pretty crappy situation to put the police in as well, going in thinking it's domestic abuse when it's really some drug dealer who might start shooting immediately at police knocking at the door.

Pretty cowardly way to go about the whole situation. Would be much better to just call the police and let them know about a drug dealer so they can take care of it with proper caution and due process.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
A dilemma though isn't it? The police cannot search for missing people even little kids in the homes around them most likely to have taken them, because of this many kids have died, I personally remember a few of such cases, they were right in a neighborhood home which was not searched so they ended up dead.

The girls who lived their lives in someones basement connected to a chain and raped daily would really like the action of 911 call to enter and search.

I think we need some method to legally search homes when a person is missing from an area.

In your case it is entirely possible that your phone hit the 911 speed dial when you threw it, mine came with that built in on single button calls 911.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic
Get rid of your land line.

Couldn't happen with a cell phone.

Yet.

All smart phones are equipped with emergency lines these days. Having to have called 911 multiple times for car accidents in my area I have experienced this first hand. If you call 911 from a cell phone, the line stays open and you cannot make any other calls/texts/anything until a half hour later, OR after 911 has properly taken your call and verified that you are no longer needed/in danger or whatever.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: shrevegal

Best thing to do OP is call your phone provider and ask them if a call to 911 was made on that day from your line. They log all calls in and out. If no call was made to 911 from your line then they were probably lying and it may be worth taking the matter further.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Hi everyone and thanx for all the varied and good responses so far. I learned some things I didn't know from some of you and I took all comments under consideration and will keep each one in my ole noggin.

A couple of things I wanna mention too:

I think the one poster that said the 911 call may have accidently occurred somehow when I threw the phone down, that sounds feasible because boy was I frustrated with it and gave it a mighty toss.

1) One of the main reasons I let them in was because my husband is in such bad shape healthwise and has had 2 bypasses already and I didn't want to make a big fuss so as not to upset him or risk taser to either of us or a heart attack to him. Hubby hadn't been well and having some chest discomfort so I just wanted the entire incident over already...before we ended up really needing 911.

2) That girl the next street over from us going missing made me worry that if we refused entry, they would think we had her in our house or some such. It was a weird set of circumstances that day.

3)The main reason I posted this is because of all the articles I have been reading on some other sites that are claiming that police are now using this 911 dealy as an excuse to gain entry into peoples homes...under false pretenses. The event we had happened a few years back so that may not have been the case then but it is being mentioned as a scenario that is going on now and that is crappy and concerning.

4) That day I kind of felt like I was in between a rock and a hard place because of all the extenuating circumstances. If that young girl wasn't missing, I might have said more...but then there was the concern relevant to my husband and the worry that if he got too upset he might have another heart attack and he was already suffering from untreated active cancer at the time too, (the VA takes too long for appointments and still does)...I just wanted it all over with already...the police visit I mean.

5) The other problem is that the officer kept stating over and over again that it is the law in Louisiana to investigate a 911 call hang up to the fullest and there was no choice on our part. I should have called about it either then or later to try and verify all of that but we had so many other issues going on at the time and even getting ready to move to Wyoming, that I was just drained and stressed and wanted to just get done and go already.

6)Like I say though, that was then but now that I am reading it is an actual trend that police are doing now...now that is something we all have to stay mindful of and be alert and smart about it. Granted, there were things I shoulda/coulda done that day and didn't...was just a mess for us at a time, we didn't need more added to our plate. If such ever happens again, it will go down differently as hubby is terminal and my health is shot so not much to loose anymore to stand up to it. I would be respectful and such but nowadays we hear of things escalating no matter what the innocent citizenry does.

7) We never wanted to go the cell phone route. Technology pretty much runs away from me screaming...I like old fashioned devices to an extent and the cancer issue from cells...I have bought into that research. Though, with recent health stuff going on for us, maybe I should get one after all...though, I have seen a few posters mention that cell phones can have a similar problem depending, relevant to 911 issues..

8) The best scenario would be that the folks here in this country to "protect and serve" would be more like we would expect and not the scary, bossy, rude/crude folks some of them are...and those scary uniforms for even the slightest of things like going to a home of a person that has traffic tickets unpaid or some such...gives one pause relevant to all of it.

Thanx so far to all who stopped by. I just wanted folks to be aware of this new "trend". My circumstance may not have been a part of it back then but I understand it can happen now. Standing ones ground and questioning our rights when such happens..I "get" that...but sometimes there are an odd set of circumstances that can change the game a little. If police show up armed to the teeth and you fear for your kids, dogs, or your health...(like heart attack worry issues), it can get really touchy and dicey as to what may transpire, unfortunately.

We moved to Wyoming and I never did research if there is such a law in Louisiana. I am going to do so now that I brought it up, come to think of it...as we moved back to Louisiana and I better know for sure now. Yet, even if there is no such law, we may all have a messy situation to deal with down the line if this is a new police "trend'..sneaky and crappy one at that. When cops armed to the teeth get "pushy" and insist on things...it may end up having to be a judgment call for the citizen and what the risk of it escalating might involve...like safety to kids/dogs and so forth. It is a shame it has come to this.

There is a lot we look at differently now...should forced Ebola vaccines start up, will go down in a blaze of glory for sure. Any looters come armed to our place or a big mess like Ferguson happens near us and an Army" type presence affects our home/life/rights....like a good steak...we will end up being "well done".
edit on 18-8-2014 by shrevegal because: added thought

edit on 18-8-2014 by shrevegal because: error

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
It's mostly called a rap and tap. They knock on the door, try and find a way in then declare a probable cause. You don't have to answer the door. Tell them through the window you don't open the door for strangers and if they need to talk to you have dispatch call you. It's happened to me before with LA state troopers. All charges dropped.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I think what you could have done was get a lawyer after the event and have him help you get a list of your calls from the phone company. Could you have sued for a violation of the 4th amendment, or for harassment or for invasion of privacy? I don't know. Even if no 911 call was found on your log, what could you do?

Probably the best thing to do is if it appears they are calm enough to talk is ask for a Sargent be brought to the scene so you can discuss it with him and if they don't mind you want to call your lawyer to be there when they enter.

The problem with having a bunch of cops in your house is that they could drop something illegal and then claim it was yours. With the Sargent and your lawyer, you allow one person into the house to look around, and go with them.

I wish the cops would spend their time going after actual bad guys. Sorry to hear you had to go through with this. There's really no defense against big gubment. They can steal your land, condemn your property, declare your pond a EPA site, and throw you in jail now, without a reason. Say goodbye to the 'good old days'.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: SillyosaurusThanx for the info and reply. The problem that day is we were both outside and no where near our weapons should things have gone sour. I should have denied him entry but as I mentioned before, there was a big police presence with search dogs and all because of the missing girl and if I said "no", I'm sure things would have escalated real fast.

I think 911 probably did get set off accidentally that day and that was like 4 years ago and we were in the process of moving so I just wanted to get going already and didn't want to make anymore of an issue of it at the time. It probably wasn't a "fake" police approach/scheme back then but any such thing now would be suspect.

Then there was the concerns for husband. His heart trouble is so bad, and he had 2 bypasses plus then active cancer, I didn't want added stress to him...even risking him getting angry and upset to the extent of a heart attack. We moved to Wyoming the week after so had no time to make an issue and just left to help grandson there who had issues at the time.

We aren't the "scardey cat" types so if some actual "scam" dealy happens in the future, we go down in a blaze for sure.

Hubby has been a 100% disabled vet since he was 39 and it took 3 years for disability to get done...so, I would hunt, fish and had 3 gardens going for food. I never miss a target.
Kept us fed with my 30/30 Savage rifle or 20 gauge shotgun and carried a 45 Llama side arm.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

You really don't think there's a connection between you fussing with your new phone, and the police coming out?

Of *course* you accidentally dialed.

Rather than hoping to randomly search someone's house, what they were probably guarding against was the possibility that someone dialed 911 and then was forced to hangup - this does happen.

Generally, a 911 call call and hangup, and failure to answer when they called back is generally a valid PC under exigent circumstances - there may be an emergency where someone needs assistance. Of course, they'd *have* to prove the hang-up in their call records, as well as the return call attempts. If there were a missing girl in the neighborhood, *of course* they'd be extra-diligent.

But if they had no record of you calling and hanging up, and no record of a call-back where you didn't answer, even if they found anything illegal, it would be almost certainly be suppressed as an illegal search - "fruits of a poisonous tree."

In your case, you probably accidentally dialed, disconnected, and probably didn't pick up when they returned the call. At that point, they almost certainly have PC. When you answered the door, it was pretty reasonable for them to want to ensure no one inside was being held against their will or otherwise needed assistance.

If this happens, and you want to protect your rights, go ahead and demand a warrant - but under such circumstances, they *can* go in - if you feel like your rights are being violated, just say "I don't agree to this - but I can't stop you." Then get out of their way.

Long story short, no, I sincerely doubt they were lying to you, and this would be a pretty ludicrous tactic for LEO to try. The likelihood of this happening to anyone who ever reads this thread is about "zero."

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Maverick7 Thanx Maverick7, You have brought out some really good and helpful points and suggestions. Should such occur ever again, I will definitely take heed to everything you have suggested. This all occurred about 4 yrs. ago and we were in the process of moving...moving date set for truck and such and new home ready and grandson was needing our help there so that was another reason for the move where he was at, in Wyoming. It wouldn't have worked out to delve too deeply into it back then...if it happened now, that would be a different story.

The concern over hubby was great at that time too. When/if he gets upset, his BP goes up and there is always great risk of another heart attack from stress and such so I felt like I made the right call at that time. He has already had 2 bypasses and has cancer. I was too worried about his status at that time. Things are different now as per our status...if "military" style police situation happens here as is in Ferguson and our home is at threat from looters or "Army" style police...we are good to go. It is a shame our country has come to this. Texas is having similar scenarios play out this week...un armed folks being hurt and citizenry getting antsy over it...seems like a nationwide thing anymore...maybe some kinda agenda at work here>

Some faction actually wanting a race war or Martial Law situation...to much happening to fast...too many of these "overkill" scenarios.

Thanx for all your help and I really do appreciate it. Keep on keepin on as we all will have to do and see how the future plays out.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: squittlesI think you have been misunderstanding me relevant to all of this. I totally agree that under the circumstances that were occurring at that time that it was reasonable for them to "take a look" in our house. I never disputed that. I may not have liked it but understood same. It may not have been legal for them to do so...but I let it ride. If it was my daughter missing, I would have wanted every effort possible to be employed. You may be taking this as a police bashing thread and it is not. The NEW tactic being mentioned on the web of late where such has been occurring is what I was wondering about and concerned about.

As I've stated over and over, there were time constraints on us relevant to moving, health concerns and the like that just made the entire scenario unfortunate and disturbing. I did not lie any where in this thread. There was a problem relevant to the phone but with getting ready to move and worrying about my husband getting too stressed and having a heart attack over it all, I didn't feel like getting into all kinds of legalities over it at that time. We were leaving and had so many other issues going on too. I actually exercised restraint by just letting go of it and getting on with our other concerns. I could have tried to find out if what occurred was legal but for the millionth time, I was more worried about hubby and undue and added stress not being good for him back then. I treated the police that day in a decent manner so what are you suggesting. Some folks here say I actually didn't have to and shouldn't have so what is the problem. I left it be.

I was told by the officer that it is the law to comply and I did in a courteous and respectful manner and all came to a peaceful conclusion...so, I am not sure what the point is you are trying to make. Maybe I should have never mentioned my own experience and just mentioned the "scam" trick about 911 calls going on of late in some areas. Its just when I read about that it made me remember my own odd experience. No where did I threaten or give police a bad time of it. I could have tried other avenues at the time to find out more but what part of me being too worried about stressing my husband out any further over it does not anyone get.

Also, there was no "call back" by the police. Now that I remember that, I guess I really should have made an issue...proof of call record and delving deeper into my rights and warrants and such. Was in the middle of moving too and not much time left. Moving is stressful too. The other issue, after the phone problem, we went outside so there was no door knocking issue when the police cars pulled up...we were outside. I will never know how me trying to program that stupid new phone and pushing too many buttons or wrong ones brought all that on and never will I guess. Like I said once, I have a sign in the front window that says, "Never mind the dog, beware of owner" and it has pics of 2 guns crossed. maybe police road by one time and didn't like that?

Again, I never said I didn't understand the relevance of all due diligence being brought forth by police when someone goes missing. They may have thought someone in our house needed help...I get that. Enough already...given me a migraine.

edit on 18-8-2014 by shrevegal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
yes they have to investigate a 911 hang up BUT they still aren't legally allowed inside your home without a warrant or permission which is what they were fishing for.
You would have been well within your rights to inform them that no call was made and that if they wanted to search your home, they would need a search warrant. why would we have the 4th Amendment if not for that reason?

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
About the only thing I did do that day that was kinda smart, I followed the one officer that I let in the house constantly and never lost sight of him. He was in my line of sight at all times. If it wasn't for getting ready to move to another state in a few days, I think I would have delved more. The thing is too...the mister gets upset and angry easier now then before his coma. He was in a coma for over 3 months and he cannot walk a lot of the time too...still, I had pictures of him in my head, getting upset, tased, having a heart attack and all of that. Maybe it seems I was being cowardly. Believe me, for a gal, I am anything but and under really bad circumstances...I would fight for my family. That day was a whole different set of circumstances and with the stresses of a long distance move ahead and hubby just starting to recover, I had to weigh my options and didn't have time to pursue much.

Now, I have different life circumstances and thanx to some folks here, I know a lot more about some things and got some really good advice...thanx.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut Well, like I've said before...I had to weigh my options and choices at the time. Hubby has such high blood pressure and gets upset and angry easily ever since he came out of his 3 month coma, I was worried he might get mouthy and cursing and it could have gone sour and ended badly real quick like. When a person comes out of a long coma, they are never the same. Even though his mobility is poor, he can get very nasty and belligerent...lets face it, we have all seen those vids of folks in wheel chairs being thrown to the ground and tased and cuffed for less. Believe me, if I was alone, things probably would have been handled differently...coward and stupid I am not. I know you meant well but I just wanted to kinda explain my dealy relevant to why I did things in a certain way. Believe me, I hated the whole thing. It would never be allowed to go that far or happen like that again. Hubby and I are both terminal now and got nothing to loose if looters or flash bang dealys ever come to us. Thanx for stopping by. I like your avatar.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888
Happened to me in Canada, hell 10+ yrs ago. My wife who is quadrapalegic was alone at home and suffering a bladder infection and decided to call an ambulance just as I got home from work, she hung up the phone without having made a connection or so we thought and I started getting her ready for the trip to emergency. So who should appear but 2 RCMP..they say there was a 911 hangup and they have to look..first real thing they do is go to obviously unmarked wife to say "what really happened..where did he hit you"..spent 15 minutes pleading with her for something literally fabricating a scenario..not sure if they thought being in a wheelchair makes you stupid or not of sound mind, all the while she has explained what happened, explained her obvious condition of being confined to a wheelchair and asking to let her go to the hospital as she was in extreme discomfort..her bladder could of ruptured in fact..they say sure we will call you an ambulance to which she replies "no my husband is quite fammiliar with my health issues he is here and he will take me". At this point Im getting real pissed off as they are playing with her health and they throw me on the floor and put cuffs on..they then say.."mind if we look in your drawers(they smelled weed that my wife has a legal perscription for) I of course say "no you may not" to which they just did it anyway. I of course ask for their info (badge#) to which they reply.."you really want to there"..sigh Lots more but Im not getting into it.
They finally let us go, or more to the point got out of my godamn house.
Ive had enough recounting this much..suffice to say IMHO most cops can suck a bowl of d#cks.
I have talked to a few reasonable ones here though.

edit on 18-8-2014 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
It is a shame to see more and more of our rights dwindling or being trampled on....hence, my warning post about the 911 "scam" articles I ran across. If these kinds of things are true and are being allowed to happen, it is definitely not a good thing. I can't see how "they" can get away with such tactics but I have been "seeing" a lot of things that have changed in policing that I would have never dreamed of occurring back in the day. Now that I think of it, relevant to my own experience, I did what I had to at the time. Defusing the situation and just getting the h@ll outta there already turned out best at the time.

A lot of folks don't realize that when a person comes out of a long coma, even with possible brain damage, they are different. Hubby can get belligerent, violent, nasty, and use excessive profanity...should he have gotten upset enough in front of the police...(they don't put up with or understand such nowadays)...things could have really gone bad. His mobility is poor that's one thing anyway. I am a retired nurse so I understand and can deal with it and I have my hands full. Actually, all things considered, I did what I had to do at the time to keep hubby calm and quiet and safe and get it over with. I still didn't like what occurred. Taken care of hubby is a full time job and moving was hard too. Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do and be cool

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I agree, you will not win whilst dealing with them on the spot..later in court is all you can hope for if things get to that point. Be compliant but know your rights at all times.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join