It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon ‘Thunderstruck’ by Images of Ferguson Police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon said today he was astounded by some of the images that came out of Ferguson depicting what he described as an “over-militarization” of the police force.

“I, all of us were thunderstruck by the pictures we saw,” Nixon told Martha Raddatz in an interview in Ferguson. “I mean, the over-militarization, the MRAPs rolling in, the guns pointed at kids in the street. All of that I think instead of ratcheting down brought emotion up.”

I don't really know how to react to this....

Either he is distancing himself from all of this or he's been asleep under a rock somewhere outside of the United States.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, what does it say about our political leadership when even they are surprised by the militarization of our police?

Nearly a day doesn't go by that I don't see, for example, one of these videos:

Apparently, an internet post using a neighbor's wifi was the reason for the raid.

I could drum up hundreds of examples over the years, but Nixon is only now 'thunderstruck'...

Go figure.
edit on 18-8-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

I totally see where you are coming from.

Although I believe it is great he has spoken out about this, to act so surprised, well, that is surprising to me for sure.

I do not live in the US but have been following this militarisation for a few years now. How come I have been aware of this problem yet he seems to have just found out?

He is BS'ing, obviously to get favour. This in itself tells me, nothing will change.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   
One of his speech writers had always hoped to be able to use the word "Thunderstruck" and told the gov it would be the best spin to convey his distaste. "Shock and Awe" was already taken.
This whole mess and the handling of it just nauseates me with the reek of a corruption that runs far and wide, high and low.
When the governor issued the Emergency Order I assumed someone had explained to him exactly what it meant. Apparently that wasn't the case if he is surprised by the events that followed his declaration. From what I've seen over the past 24 hours, he now looks like he's wishing the aliens would just come and take him away. I suspect the sound of Holder's voice in his ear sent a few tingles ....somewhere.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I watched them laughing at the end thinking that should piss the judge off too. Good. For wifi? Lost their mind. I didn't see a single paper, the properly was no search warrant.

And I believe the governor never gets to that part of town. He may really have no idea. That's his failure.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon said today he was astounded by some of the images that came out of Ferguson depicting what he described as an “over-militarization” of the police force.

“I, all of us were thunderstruck by the pictures we saw,” Nixon told Martha Raddatz in an interview in Ferguson. “I mean, the over-militarization, the MRAPs rolling in, the guns pointed at kids in the street. All of that I think instead of ratcheting down brought emotion up.”

I don't really know how to react this....

Either he is distancing himself from all of this or he's been asleep under a rock somewhere outside of the United States.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, what does it say about our political leadership when even they are surprised by the militarization of our police?

Nearly a day doesn't go by that I don't see, for example, one of these videos:

Apparently, an internet post using a neighbor's wifi was the reason for the raid.

I could drum up hundreds of examples over the years, but Nixon is only now 'thunderstruck'...

Go figure.

Sickening... Rectal sphincters ripped to the tits on testosterone and armed to the teeth with bullet proof vests against a granny and her apparent grand-daughter... first of all smashing down the front door and then handcuffing two apparently harmless individuals...

The worst is seeing them proudly laugh and joke about it afterwards...

Cowards...

To protect the innocent my backside???

What happened to the good old fashioned visit by 2 polite policeman just knocking on the door to ask a couple of questions?

Sadly

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   
see, to them all of us are the bad guys and they are the good guys.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: PLAYERONE01

And no amount of showing just how bad they are will make them realize it. Just look at the cops on ATS trying as they might (but losing like the little bitches they are) to justify it all.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
We exist in a bubble or echo chamber here...we are well informed of all of this, we read, discuss.
Most Americans have no idea and certainly no one living in the ivory tower of the 1%.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   
So he's thunderstruck by the over-militarization of the police force present in Ferguson, then calls in the National Guard...

Lovely reasoning there, eh?

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
We exist in a bubble or echo chamber here...we are well informed of all of this, we read, discuss.
Most Americans have no idea and certainly no one living in the ivory tower of the 1%.

This right here I can certainly agree with. I would add that since this slow steady militarization of our law enforcement has been going on now since the early 90's, for a Governor of a state NOT to know it is just plain unbelieveable in my estimation. However, the process of law enforcement to obtain military equipment leaves the door open to Nixon's "plausible denyability".

Part of Johnson's issue with the program is that police departments can apply for the equipment without input from their local city council or elected officials, limiting political accountability. "That's not good for our democracy," he said.
Congressman's Push to Curb Police Militarization gets Big Boost after Ferguson

I will say this, that I put this issue squarely on the shoulders of congress who developed this 1033 program to begin with. Thier lack of foresight to see potential abuses should astound me, but sadly it does not and has led directly to this tragedy in Ferguson, in my opinion.

With the militarization of our country's law enforcement now in the public eye and very much exposed everyone's "plausible denyability" is stripped. Let's hope ALL of our lawmakers find the cajones to do something about it. Currently it's Ferguson....next could be any one of our hometowns.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Nobody would be surprised, if they had been reading my comments on Facebook, Twitter & ridingthebeast.com for the past four years!

The Antichrist: William Jefferson Clinton | The Angel in the Whirlwind = (418) + (248) = 666! George Herbert Walker Bush | William Jefferson Clinton | Skull & Bones = (253) + (264) + (149) = 666. The name Judas Iscariot adds to (149)! George Bush used the term "the angel in the whirlwind" 11 years before 911, 2001.

This explains what is happening in America & the world today. The Antichrist has deceived the whole world. You have already accepted the number of the beast... as well as his mark... the "Social Security Number" & the "Universal Products Code"!

My point being... these protesters along with the rest of the world... have more to protest about than the ruthless "gunning down" of a young man!

edit on 07-27-2016 by IXApollyonXI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
The police are pigs working for the state and have no right to tell "free people" to empty the streets even if they are protesting to bring back the KKK.

You have freedom of speech or you don't and that goes for both sides or none at all.

Every policeman living in the area should be ran out of town because they not only take money from the public but are being used against the public and it is time they were subjected to the same law of the gun as they are using out on the beat.

Most people now fear the police more than the criminals and it is time we taught them who is master and pays their wages if you ask me.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Funny, watching from outside the US and seeing the police geared up better than most global militaries I was thinking you're on a highway to hell.

And unless something changes soon, its not unreasonable to assume that the American people expect a steady increase in this militarized police presence.

Frightening if seen through to its inevitable conclusion.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Governor Nixon;

He actually expects people to believe his malarkey eh?

Almost like he "didn't know" anything......

St. Louis County law enforcement agencies received twelve 5.56 millimeter rifles and six .45 caliber pistols from the Department of Defense between Aug. 2, 2010, and Feb. 13, 2013, a Missouri public safety official confirmed Thursday. Ferguson, Mo., is within St. Louis County.

The Progressives are getting exposed bigtime

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I can't believe we no longer have the right to protest, and if we do one person a half a mile away commits a crime, that is all the police need to start gassing and attacking people for exercising there supposed 1st amendment rights.

I didn't support the reasons for the Bundy Ranch, but I sure supported there right to protest!
I don't support the kkk but if they want to protest in front of a kfc I support there rights.

What bums me out is the right wing media just a few months ago they were all up in arms about rights and over reaching government, tyranny and oppression, but now they are attacking Americans that have no rights.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: PLAYERONE01
And sadly we are seeing it the same way.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: HandyDandy

originally posted by: PLAYERONE01

And no amount of showing just how bad they are will make them realize it. Just look at the cops on ATS trying as they might (but losing like the little bitches they are) to justify it all.

your more full of # than my ninety year old grandma.

new topics

top topics

join