It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dirty Bird With A Dirty Logo For Other Dirty Birds?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
****I realize that this may be a difficult thread for some to participate in without breaking any of the T&C's here. I am hoping that we can all keep it fairly clean so that a discussion can be had and a 404 does not occur.

I am putting this in the social issues forum because I am curious if we aren't going a bit overboard with being offended about (seemingly) everything. Or are our minds being infiltrated with so many pictures, movies, shows, etc. portraying some form of sexual innuendo, or just outright sex that we now can not help but see something dirty at every possible opportunity?

What do you see when you look at this Chicken restaurant's logo??

Do you see a chicken cleverly designed by an artist to depict a chicken with the D and the B in the company's name, or do you see a more phallic symbol cleverly designed to look like either/or while having a good old private laugh every time they saw it afterwards? Maybe this guy was so very clever he managed to get his client a ton of extra publicity for free?!

A catering company called Dirty Bird Fried Chicken aroused some controversy with its suggestive logo.

Some people who see the logo think it resembles a rooster. Others think it resembles a penis at the point of no return.

Mark James, the logo's designer insists it's supposed to be a barnyard bird.

“We were given the name Dirty Bird as the brief, and started working on ideas. We looked at the initials, DB. Then worked with the lowercase ‘db’ linking them to form the shape of a rooster. It’s a graphic representation of a rooster incorporating the initials. It depends on how you look at it," he said according to the Mirror. “I’m not sure there have been any complaints. A few comments, but it’s in the eye of the beholder, as they say.”

Company owner Neil Young insists he never intended the logo for his Cardiff, Wales food truck to appear phallic.

“We’ve never really thought about it like that. Our designer created a d and b for ‘dirty bird’ then pushed them together to make a cockerel,” he told Wales Online.

Just to be clear: Dictionary.com defines "cockerel" as "a young domestic cock, usually less than a year old." And the word "cock" in this definition means "rooster."

Young and James may be crying fowl about the reaction to the allegedly unintended innuendo, but it should be noted that the food truck does also have saucy giant posters telling customers to “Touch My Thigh” and “Touch My Breast.”

Given the name of the restaurant, I find it hard to believe that this was not entirely intentional. To be fair, I really can't say if I would have thought it was phallic had I seen it before I read the headline so I guess there is a small possibility that they just stumbled into it unknowingly.

Anyway, what do you think? Do you think that we as a society have just been so inundated with all things sexual that now it's the first thing we see? Maybe sexual pareidolia is to blame?

Are the people complaining about this right in complaining?? After all... Those who look at it and see "phallic" already know what "phallic" looks like. If others don't see anything but a rooster, why still be upset about it? So the argument that it's obscene for children to look at doesn't really hold water. If a child looks at it and sees a penis, then he obviously already knew what a penis looked like. So nobody is exposing anyone to anything they haven't already seen.

I am wondering how far this whole "Offended By Everything" will go? It seems that society just can't wait to find something to be offended about these days... So much so that sometimes they even make things up.

You can read more here and also cast your vote on what you think it looks like:
www.huffingtonpost.com...

edit on 8/18/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Definitely looks like a cock that is crowing to me.

ETA: He obviously can't confirm it was on purpose, but I think it was. Dirty Bird .. that symbol .. yah.
edit on 18-8-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I for one, think the logo was designed on purpose to be provocative possibly more tongue in cheek to be fair. It seems to have worked because it gets people talking about the place.

I feel we are in a time where everyone feels offended left right and center about something or another. If there isnt anything to be offended by, im sure someone will find it.

There is a picture of a vase, Like an allusion where it depicts two images, one looks like several dolphins within the vase and the other a couple in an embrace. I think there was a test done and every child said the picture was of dolphins and every adult stated they can see the couple.

I don't think I can post the pic on ATS as it is instantly obvious for me its the couple in the embrace

How I see it, we only get images in our mind and persive them as 'wrong' it was our mind that went to that conclusion of the image first. If people get offended by the rooster logo then they are offending thier own minds IMO. Good find OP

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
Definitely looks like a cock that is crowing to me.

You aren't making this easy for me....

But yeah... That's exactly what it looks like to me as well.

originally posted by: Maltese5Rhino

I for one, think the logo was designed on purpose to be provocative possibly more tongue in cheek to be fair. It seems to have worked because it gets people talking about the place.

I feel we are in a time where everyone feels offended left right and center about something or another. If there isnt anything to be offended by, im sure someone will find it.

There is a picture of a vase, Like an allusion where it depicts two images, one looks like several dolphins within the vase and the other a couple in an embrace. I think there was a test done and every child said the picture was of dolphins and every adult stated they can see the couple.

I don't think I can post the pic on ATS as it is instantly obvious for me its the couple in the embrace

How I see it, we only get images in our mind and persive them as 'wrong' it was our mind that went to that conclusion of the image first. If people get offended by the rooster logo then they are offending thier own minds IMO. Good find OP

I agree. That's why I said in my OP that saying it's obscene to others doesn't really hold water IMO, because they will see whatever they see. If a child sees it and thinks it's dirty, then you have exposed that child to nothing new because they already knew what it looked like to be able to identify it as such to begin with.

Sometimes it seems that people are in a contest to see how quickly they can get offended, what they can get offended by etc. When I was growing up nobody got offended nearly as often as they do now. You sucked it up and moved along. If it wasn't for you, you didn't automatically think that it should've changed to become something for you. You went and found something that was for you and were fine with it.

Times... They are a changin'.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Sex sells.

That's really all I have to say

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Simply put I agree. If a child sees something dirty then the parents need to start looking at where that came from. It was not the DB logo.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Simply put I agree. If a child sees something dirty then the parents need to start looking at where that came from. It was not the DB logo.

But it's so much easier to blame someone/something else.

Won't someone please think of the children and their tiny little child retinas, relaying the tiny little messages to their brain.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Name of the restaurant + initials combing = a dirty bird.

I'd wear that shirt!

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
It's suspicious.
3 layer image and knowing the companies name tells me this artist knew exactly what he was creating.
The owner is either full of crap or incredibly naive

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Reminds me of the A Stlye logo.
It doesnt get any more overt than that one, well maybe the db logo is just as bad

www.cbsnews.com...

but of course there is nothing wrong with any of this, its just marketing

The French Connection United Kingdom, logo rates as very poor taste as well
FCUK
www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: borntowatch
Reminds me of the A Stlye logo.
It doesnt get any more overt than that one, well maybe the db logo is just as bad

www.cbsnews.com...

but of course there is nothing wrong with any of this, its just marketing

The French Connection United Kingdom, logo rates as very poor taste as well
FCUK
www.independent.co.uk...

Oh wow! Those two are pretty blatant aren't they?? I can't believe I have not seen these until now. Thanks for the share.

I can appreciate the cleverness of some of these logos. It's like a wink and a nod every time you see them from the artist/company. Some of them are almost genius IMO.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Young women (late teens, early 20's) read books like "50 Shades of Grey" and we complain of phallic symbols?

We are a nation that is growing up, we went from "leave it to beaver" and the "partridge family" to shows like "Naked and Afraid", where we watch 2 naked people get dumped into different survival scenarios.. and see if they make it 3 weeks..lol.

The prudes will always be the prudes, and the perverts will always be the perverts, but we ARE growing up, and there is always opposition to such growth, no matter what. What we see on television, and in commercials is nothing compared to what Europeans see...and the ancients? They were in LOVE with the phallus..

So let the prudes see a phallic symbol. Maybe someday they will grow up too and join the rest of the world... after all, most of them want a pirate to throw her over their shoulder and carry her off to have their way...

It's not a shame to say it either... and kids, well they will run into one eventually. May as well explain it someday.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I think people need to lighten up. It's a joke. Whether they did it on purpose or not, it is a non issue.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
It's a perverted logo. Seriously. It doesn't offend me but I wouldn't want little kids seeing it. The shop owner and artist can play dumb or naïve all they want to. Perversions have been pushed to the forefront. Welcome to the 2000's. It's all over TV, Commercials, etc.. What's the name of the artist and shop owner, BTW?

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

I tend to have the same opinion as you do OB.

a reply to: Fylgje

Mark James and Neil Young according to the article in the OP.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I can see the graphic designers sitting around a table trying to come up with the perfect logo. They have the letters "d" and "b" to work with and the name "dirty bird". It's late. Everybody is tired. They start getting a little silly. They start brain storming.

If you have ever been in an off-the-cuff creative thinking type of meeting where you just let things fly off the top of your head, things can get pretty wacky and funny. Keeping the name of the company in mind, what is the first word you think of starting with a "d" (rhymes with sick). Then what do you think of with the letter "b" (rhymes with falls).

The clown of the meeting starts drawing. Someone else embellishes it. Then voila! The logo is born.

~~~~~blushing now...sorry...first thing off the top of my head.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I'd wear both of those shirts too. And if someone didn't like like it, I would take it off and rock my bra.

a reply to: borntowatch

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

it's even got hairy balls, "one eye" & ejaculate

REAL EYES
REALIZE
REAL LIES

Won't someone please think of the children and their tiny little child retinas, relaying the tiny little messages to their brain.

not sure if i passed this link to you before?

edit on 18-8-2014 by UNIT76 because: 8======D

“We’ve never really thought about it like that. Our designer created a d and b for ‘dirty bird’ then pushed them together to make a cockerel,” he told Wales Online.

Just to be clear: Dictionary.com defines "cockerel" as "a young domestic cock, usually less than a year old." And the word "cock" in this definition means "rooster."

Young and James may be crying fowl about the reaction to the allegedly unintended innuendo, but it should be noted that the food truck does also have saucy giant posters telling customers to “Touch My Thigh” and “Touch My Breast.”

"by their fruits we shall know them"

edit on 18-8-2014 by UNIT76 because: arrested development.. they can't even take personal responsibility for what they did.. sad

'FCKU'

..another friendly little message from 'the system'
a bit like (australian) supermarket giants woolworths & coles, with their BIG RED FINGER & KISS MY ASS (pocket the savings) promo's
edit on 18-8-2014 by UNIT76 because: ..ever felt like they're trying to TELL you something?

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Ok, that's just kind of funny right there. Down to the one eye and all. Hahahaha!

Now that I got that out of my system, I agree that people have a tendency to be over offended by some interesting things. Whatever happened to live and let live unless someone caused actual harm. I am inclined to believe that they had to have at least seen image the final result of the logo they put together though. It's kind of hard to miss, unless, as you mentioned, you don't know what a penis looks like in the first place.

top topics

join