It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Jay Nixon signs exec. order to send Missouri National Guard to Ferguson

page: 61
<< 58  59  60    62  63  64 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

I wonder why the media is failing to show images of the rioters / areas police are dealing with?

When will the government stop?

When will the rioting stop?

People bitched about law enforcements initial response. Highway patrol was put in charge and people liked it for one day. Then the people bitched the cops were not doing anything to stop the looting / rioting / etc. Now people are bitching the police are back. You have business owners bitching because cops are not shooting the people looting their stores.

What exactly do people want?

Things might be abit calmer if certain media outlets didn't incite racial issues while "covering" the story. Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson need to go home and stop pushing their agenda. Their actions have been reckless and irresponsible and they are not doing any good by being there.
edit on 19-8-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice

originally posted by: 00nunya00

a reply to: 00nunya00

According to this journalist tweet, two journalists were arrested about 20 minutes ago. One for intercept.com and another for Bild.de (German newspaper):

twitter.com...

Hmm, he says "detained" is the official term being used, sounds like they're doing everything short of booking and jailing reporters, just "detaining" them long enough to not be able to report anything. :/ Nice.

Thanks for the link!

Yeah, they switched from arresting to "detaining" earlier today though honestly "detaining" sounds oddly creepier to me. Maybe because it's so close to "detainees". Same thing happened to journalists a few years ago during Occupy.

This photo looks more like an advert for a video game but it's not, it was taken by David Carson of St. Louis Post Dispatch: twitter.com...

It's almost worse than arresting, because they get to just detain the press and prevent them from exercising their legal rights and duties to report the truth, and then LEO doesn't have to be held accountable because they didn't actually arrest them. Detaining is so wide-open it's scary.

And WHOA, WTF is that gun? Is that like a flame-thrower or something? Can't be a tear-gas gun because it doesn't hold rounds (it looks like) but rather a canister of.......fuel?!?! I'm not very versed on weapons, maybe I'm wrong, looks scary though. :/

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Agreed. This isn't like a lot of Occupy protests where no one was being violent or rioting but then got kettled-in and gassed and arrested, this is a situation where people were riled up and ready for blood. Not much they can do in that situation.

Wish they would leave the press alone, though, no excuse for that IMHO. Making them all leave was just wrong.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   

According to this journalist tweet, two journalists were arrested about 20 minutes ago. One for intercept.com and another for Bild.de (German newspaper):

twitter.com...

Hmm, he says "detained" is the official term being used, sounds like they're doing everything short of booking and jailing reporters, just "detaining" them long enough to not be able to report anything. :/ Nice.

Thanks for the link!

Yeah, they switched from arresting to "detaining" earlier today though honestly "detaining" sounds oddly creepier to me. Maybe because it's so close to "detainees". Same thing happened to journalists a few years ago during Occupy.

This photo looks more like an advert for a video game but it's not, it was taken by David Carson of St. Louis Post Dispatch: twitter.com...

It's almost worse than arresting, because they get to just detain the press and prevent them from exercising their legal rights and duties to report the truth, and then LEO doesn't have to be held accountable because they didn't actually arrest them. Detaining is so wide-open it's scary.

And WHOA, WTF is that gun? Is that like a flame-thrower or something? Can't be a tear-gas gun because it doesn't hold rounds (it looks like) but rather a canister of.......fuel?!?! I'm not very versed on weapons, maybe I'm wrong, looks scary though. :/

Tear gas gun
That 'barrel' shaped part near the center of the gun is where the rounds go.
edit on 8/19/2014 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   

With all due respect =

Please show me where it states in the Constitution, either the US or Missouri one, that states media is immune from laws or that they are immune to valid lawful orders issued by law enforcement.

Its been clearly established individuals must keep moving and cannot stop and congregate since that is how the issues started the previous nights. Groups of people would hang out in parking lots and then when night fell would jump in with the protesters and start causing issues.

If media does not move along, then they are in violation of the standing orders. Why should the media be treated any differently than those protesting / rioting / causing issues?

Exactly how many exceptions do you make in situations like this? Especially when certain media outlets are inciting more problems by irresponsible reporting?

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   
For anyone listening to police scanners here is a link to the 10-codes:

Police Scanner Codes

It includes a few counties in MO, just scroll a bit down for Highway Patrol, St. Louis County, St. Louis City - whichever you happen to be listening to.
edit on 19-8-2014 by kalunom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Well, it looks like the crack-down on the media is only just getting started.

Several sources are now saying tonight's announcement will address the 'problem' of the media. Apparently the official view is that it's the media's fault that things have escalated under the theory that their mere presence encourages wrong doing.

link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: WhiteAlice

I wonder why the media is failing to show images of the rioters / areas police are dealing with?

When will the government stop?

When will the rioting stop?

People bitched about law enforcements initial response. Highway patrol was put in charge and people liked it for one day. Then the people bitched the cops were not doing anything to stop the looting / rioting / etc. Now people are bitching the police are back. You have business owners bitching because cops are not shooting the people looting their stores.

What exactly do people want?

You know, I seem to recall that being said a few years ago when a group of people started protesting the banks activities in the financial crisis, bail outs, insane student loans and more. Yet, somehow all that got twisted to "What do they want?". I don't think that's going to work this time.

I think it's pretty clear that people want:

a. cameras on police officers--good for both really
b. demilitarized police--no more tanks and other insane things
c. for the people of Ferguson to actually have a good night's sleep and maybe not have it penetrated by tear gas and LRAD's.
d. a full investigation and appropriate reaction by the Ferguson Police Department should the DoJ and FBI find wrongdoing on the part of the officer in the shooting of Michael Brown.

Nice try though but this time, the media isn't on the "what do they want?" side.

Watch in abject horror. Best reporting I've seen done by Fox in a long time. God bless Fox. (though that could be a sign of the apocalypse of my saying that)

www.foxnews.com...

link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

With all due respect =

Please show me where it states in the Constitution, either the US or Missouri one, that states media is immune from laws or that they are immune to valid lawful orders issued by law enforcement.

Its been clearly established individuals must keep moving and cannot stop and congregate since that is how the issues started the previous nights. Groups of people would hang out in parking lots and then when night fell would jump in with the protesters and start causing issues.

If media does not move along, then they are in violation of the standing orders. Why should the media be treated any differently than those protesting?

Exactly how many exceptions do you make in situations like this? Especially when certain media outlets are inciting more problems by irresponsible reporting?

If you were watching tonight, the police were clearly saying "everyone who is NOT CREDENTIALED PRESS must move along."

Because yes, press DOES get more access to situations like this because they are trained to not obstruct justice. Scroll back a few pages, I just hashed this out with OptimusCrime.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaosComplex

twitter.com...

Thanks for the link!

Tear gas gun
That 'barrel' shaped part near the center of the gun is where the rounds go.

Yikes, thanks for the info, must have been a perfectly-timed shot where the explosive that propels it was going off. Like I said, I don't know much about weapons, it looks way scary to me!

link   
Johnson on now.

link   

c. for the people of Ferguson to actually have a good night's sleep and maybe not have it penetrated by tear gas and LRAD's.

If they all went the hell home and stopped with the nonsense, they could have their peace and quiet. But that's just not going to happen.

People need to stop pretending that if the police/any authoritative presence just left town that this would all go away. We all know that's not going to happen. Plain and simple.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
CNN PRESS NOW.

A priest talking first?... normal for usa ? Or bad news coming? :O

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Anonymous stream in Ferguson: new.livestream.com...

It will give a login prompt but my amazing fiance found a way to get around it. Right click on the page and chose "inspect element". Right click to delete node. Keep doing it on all "log-in" nodes and the gray "overlay" node.

He's on foot and is going to head to Chambers. So far, just a lot of walking in the dark.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

Several sources are now saying tonight's announcement will address the 'problem' of the media. Apparently the official view is that it's the media's fault that things have escalated under the theory that their mere presence encourages wrong doing.

Yeah, because the media makes tear gas hurt less and makes going to jail worth it more. :/

So stupid, it just sucks for them that the media has been getting evidence of what's being going on there for decades, in smaller proprtions.

link   

Anonymous stream in Ferguson: new.livestream.com...

It will give a login prompt but my amazing fiance found a way to get around it. Right click on the page and chose "inspect element". Right click to delete node. Keep doing it on all "log-in" nodes and the gray "overlay" node.

He's on foot and is going to head to Chambers. So far, just a lot of walking in the dark.

...no log in prompt for me

link   

originally posted by: loam

Have you seen Al Sharpton's press conferences? "Your not looters, your Liberators..."

Comments like that will cause issues.
Having media literally draw a map to the officers house will cause problems.
Media confusing ear plugs for rubber bullets will cause problems.

If they are causing issues, why should they be allowed to remain in the area and continue to cause problems?

Does anyone know how many stores have been torched / looted?

Most likely not since the media is failing to report on anything substantial aside from law enforcement actions. As the post a few posts up demonstrates - They show the police shooting tear gas yet fail to show whats being targeted and why the area was targeted.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I'm not sure here, but can the police give orders? They enforce laws. What laws were being broken? Do they have the authority to do that?
(I'm serious here.) Can they legally and within their authority tell free media where they can and can't be in public?

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   

If you were watching tonight, the police were clearly saying "everyone who is NOT CREDENTIALED PRESS must move along."

Because yes, press DOES get more access to situations like this because they are trained to not obstruct justice. Scroll back a few pages, I just hashed this out with OptimusCrime.

No press does not get more access. That access is not a right but a courtesy. I have had to remove press from scenes before because for some reason they think they can walk around inside the scenes and don't have to comply with lawful commands to move.

My statements stands - Show me in the constitution - federal/state - where media is granted immunity from laws.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaosComplex

IMHO, the problem is that LEO in this area has been screwing over the general public for a long time, and people are so fed up with it they're willing to spend a few weeks with no sleep or worse. Doesn't mean their actions right now are all "okay" or an excuse, but it's a pretty good explanation. Sometimes you have to understand reasons while not accepting excuses, otherwise no one will ever be able to move forward into peace. The situation needs to be addressed at its roots, not just these last few weeks worth of actions on anyone's part.

top topics

<< 58  59  60    62  63  64 >>

join