It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the green flame

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

Try hours. The SR-71 profile was to take off, refuel, go supersonic from refueling to refueling. They were supersonic for hours at a time.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Haha, I was being generous!

I figured that using the old Orient Express "New York to Tokyo in 90 minutes" benchmark, 30 mins to an hour of burn would be the bare minimum for a relatively short Isinglass-style one-way dash, say Guam or Diego Garcia to Thule by way of Russia or China.

EDIT: just spent some time playing with the great circle mapper, and after looking at some routes between Diego Garcia/Guam/Wake Island/Okinawa and Thule/Boscombe Down, I came to the conclusion that something with a ~8000 mile range, when used between those points, would be able to cover Iran, North Korea, China, and most if not all of the former USSR. Just some food for thought.
edit on 16-8-2015 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

She's not that ambitious. She was usually out about 48 hours or so on a mission.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

So Mach 3-4 at 90-120k feet instead of a Reaganesque Mach 17?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Mach 17 would be nice, but we're nowhere near that yet.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

She's not that ambitious. She was usually out about 48 hours or so on a mission.

so... What does she do on her missions... Recon out something more? troop transport? Electronic warfare? Could she also eventually serve as a strike platform?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: keeley

That would be giving away all of her secrets. A girl has to have some secrets you know.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58I don't want to know all of her secrets... But it sounds pretty obvious that she puts out and is not all show. I just want to hear some locker room talk about the action.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: keeley

Her profile is a good clue what her mission is.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Judging by her presumed predecessor the A-12/SR-71 I would geuss Recce/EW. No need for a high mach intercepter really.... ala YF-12. Kinda just a waste of money for that, and who the hell would they intercept anyways.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Here is a quick look at a
at a simple "fireball" . Or
maybe this is a boron breather of
the 4700 mph variety. These bolides hold level
flight at 75k feet, horizon to horizon .

youtu.be...
edit on 17-8-2015 by UnderKingsPeak because: oops..happiness is a small group on a close hold with my buddy Norton.

edit on 17-8-2015 by UnderKingsPeak because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: UnderKingsPeak

Nope.

Actually a bolide. Forum saw that vid a few months ago. Even I got fooled at a glance. But the green lady looks very different.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
a reply to: penroc3

Zoom in on that at and look closely. I removed light sources and tweaked it a bit in PS.

That looks exactly like a cylon raider to me

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: expatwhite

originally posted by: yuppa
a reply to: penroc3

Zoom in on that at and look closely. I removed light sources and tweaked it a bit in PS.

That looks exactly like a cylon raider to me

Well considering the AI that was found in a certain diamond mine you might be closer than you think. Might be where the story of BSG came from too. Anchient astronaut theoryist have suggested that maybe atlantis was the last remaining area where these predecessors of modern humanity lived until they were wiped out leaving the rest of us alone.

Maybe they un earthed a cylon raider?
im sure Zaphods prolly smiling reading this lol.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Mach 17 would be nice, but we're nowhere near that yet.

What about the Black dorito?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Other than that black and white Rockwell craft that's now at the Smithsonian

Though wasn't Mach ~17 the design goal for the McDonnell Isinglass studies? Even if it cheated and used a rocket instead of a scramjet, the "X-15 on steroids" design always seemed to me to be a great workaround for the problems with the scramjet, even if it kills your payload fraction...

Also, an air-launched two-stage-to-(almost)orbit design seems to be more than feasible with current tech, which is why we've seen SpaceShipOne/Two, Stratolaunch, the Isinglass studies, early STS concepts, MAKS, etc.

Actually, come to think of it, the MAKS design appeared in the late-80s as a Soviet initiative. We know the Soviets only turned to spaceplanes as a means to counter US developments, i.e. Dynasoar--->Spiral, STS--->Buran, so what prompted them to throw together a small air-launched T(and a half)STO right at the close of the cold war, especially when they were more or less bankrupting the country developing Buran.

Could it have anything to do with the rumors of the US developing a certain rumored craft with similar capabilities in the years after the Challenger loss as a more flexible lower cost alternative to the shuttle? A craft that was hinted to have used a certain green-burning fuel... (Just to bring things sorta back on topic)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   

personally i think the whole point behind the blackswift development is to not use boron and leave a tale tell light show, even if momentarily.

i don't think the green lady travels above the karman line.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Interesting that there have been no real photos of her taking off and landing.Just need people to stalk out its home turf with hitech cameras.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

you cant forget about Russia's Zarya.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Staking out has been tried. It's not easy. They've staked out Tonopah for years and no confirmed sightings of anything have occurred.

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join