It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ferguson police were 'aggressive,' a critical Missouri governor says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

(CNN) -- Gov. Jay Nixon is criticizing the "over-militarization" of the police response to protests that have been spurred by the killing of 18-year-old Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri.

Nixon appeared on most of the political talk shows on Sunday, calling the tactics of the St. Louis County Police "aggressive" and expressed relief that the Justice Department is conducting its own investigation into the young man's death on August 9.

"There are times when force is necessary, but we really felt that push at that time was a little aggressive, obviously, and those images were not what we were trying to get to," he said on ABC's "This Week," referring to the policing using heavily armored military vehicles.

There you have it folks, the governor in charge of this mess is blaming the violence on the militarized police. I also blame the obvious incompetence of the local police in charge. It does however depend what there motives where, if it was to protect and served they failed.

"And in those situations where folks are rolling up heavily armored and they're pointing guns at folks, that's impossible to have a dialogue," Nixon said.

CNN

How can you talk to a approaching army that is pointing guns at anyone that moves?

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Mob mentality isn't limited to public crowds me thinks.

Police are (believe it or not) human too and I think they behave with the same aggressiveness and mindset as those they confront.

More accountability, vetting, qualifications and analysis needed for anyone wanting to join the police force.

With great power comes great responsibility.

Looking at US cops, seems anyone can join up as long as they can wield a gun and bark orders.

Sucks to be American, good luck with your nazi handlers, hope you reign them in by speaking up if you can remain non criminalized long enough.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
There you have it folks, the governor in charge of this mess is blaming the violence on the militarized police. I also blame the obvious incompetence of the local police in charge. It does however depend what there motives where, if it was to protect and served they failed. How can you talk to a approaching army that is pointing guns at anyone that moves?

Here is an ABC News reporter grilling Nixon which causes him to stammer in his response.

There is also reports that police just got in their cars and drove away when tthey observed the start the looting.
A reporter from the station tweeted that police cars were seen driving past some of the stores being looted and did not respond.
edit on 17-8-2014 by LibertasIntel because: fix yt link

link   
But yet the "Governor" has some say in how the "Police" enforce ??????

So does Capt Johnson.

Be very careful who we trust.

Often times, the "saviors" hide amongst the victims.

Nixon and Johnson may very well be unwilling scapegoats.

This whole thing could easily be an Obama/Holder DHS exercise.

Be aware that a "Martial Law" test could be in progress.

link   
Sen. Claire McCaskill:

Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill said Thursday the situation needs to be "demilitarized,"

Sen Rand Paul:

and on the same day, Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, who is considering a presidential run, released an opinion piece on Time's website saying many police departments around the country are too militarized.

From his opinion piece:

(CNN) – There’s a “legitimate” need for authorities “to keep the peace,” but the law enforcement response to racially-charged street protests over the police shooting of an unarmed Missouri teenager illustrates something more pervasive and troubling, Sen. Rand Paul said.

Writing Thursday in an opinion piece in Time, Paul noted that the wild scene of police in tactical gear apparently firing teargas and rubber pellets and pointing automatic weapons at people in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson resembled a “war more than a traditional police action.”

He said there “should be a difference between a police response and a military response."

CNN

Rep. Lacy Clay:

Democratic Rep. Lacy Clay, who represents Ferguson in Congress, said on "State of the Union" Sunday that "a militarized police force facing down innocent protesters with sniper rifles and machine guns is totally unacceptable in America."

Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Michigan

"It appears that they may have reacted a little quickly on that force continuum when they decided to deal with ... the protesters," he said on CBS News' "Face the Nation."

CNN

I understand needing a force to respond to today's threats like school or mass shooting, but to respond like they have this week is just not cool. Remember the job is to "protect and serve"

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I agree with there is a huge lack of leadership here. The Governor is in charge, he should have called the shots and not the local authorities. I would like to see him take responsibilities and resign!

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

Looking at US cops, seems anyone can join up as long as they can wield a gun and bark orders.

That statement isn't true. More and more departments are requiring college or some college and most require training at a Police Academy. I also know that they have to pass an applicable exam, written and oral, credit checks are done, psychological tests are given, drug and lie detector tests are administered, and they take in house classes all throughout their career.

A lot of people that want to make police work a life long career will complete an associate or bachelor's degree program either in criminal justice, law enforcement or some other related discipline.

Maybe this is why they are having a hard time recruiting in Ferguson. I think only 69% of that population are even graduating high school.

Also, they have to qualify yearly with their firearm to continue serving.
edit on 17-8-2014 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

I agree with what you say, but military service is also accepted. And during Bush's war the military did indeed lower the standards for acceptance in order to meet recruiting goals.

So there is some truth in what Nerbot stated.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
A huge crowd live right now in Ferguson:

Iammikebrownlive
This one has both EzellFord LA and Ferguson
livestream
edit on 17-8-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
a reply to: queenofswords

I agree with what you say, but military service is also accepted. And during Bush's war the military did indeed lower the standards for acceptance in order to meet recruiting goals.

So there is some truth in what Nerbot stated.

Lowering standards should never happen in certain fields....law enforcement and teachers are two.

Remember this in 2011?

DOJ Pressured City of Dayton to Lower Testing Standards for Police Recruits to Accommodate Minority Candidates

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

He is the governor. He cannot demand arrests of those violating rights under color of law, to keep the peace? That is a serious offense.

Arrest those whose signatures are on the requisition paperwork and purchase orders. Especially the city council or mayor. They well squeal like stuck pigs after one arrest.

Just one way to defuse the situation.
edit on 17-8-2014 by Not Authorized because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
What took him so long to react? Hey Governor, the buck stops with you! I can't stand politicians, they always double talk, and when they know their wrong, they stumble on their words.

Have some gonads and fire the police chief, give the mayor a tongue lashing, and fire the police that were intimidating protesters and the media! Show some outrage and emotion instead of stumbling and bumbling over your words. If you can't govern your state and protect the rights of your citizens, resign!

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
As the governor didn`t he have the authority to stop it?
he makes it sound like he was a helpless bystander who had no power to stop them, i don`t think that`s the case.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The mob mentality is a dangerous thing. Many times the people would not do what they did if they weren't in the mob. This is a problem when dealing with situations like this, people get riled up and do things they normally won't do. The same thing happens during a power outage. This is part of the dark side of human nature. I doubt if anyone can control it. Sometimes peaceful demonstrations become ugly on both sides. Cops aren't immune, they can lose their temper also.

The incident that started this opened up a can of worms. I hope that something is started in the legal system. It takes two to tangle, but sometimes what someone says is misinterpretted or someone hears something that was not said by the other person. Something set the cop off, it may have not been by the guy he shot, or it may have been. I am not sure we will hear the truth from witnesses, because they may not know what transpired beforehand.

There needs to be a trial soon so this gets over with. Charges can be filed by the family if need be to get this rolling. Then the courts can deal with this.

Now what is this distracting us from. Seems like something else must be going on.

new topics

top topics

join