It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scorecard: How Many Rights Have Americans REALLY Lost?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
There are too many examples to list them all, this isn't a left vs right issue so I will pick a left example and a right example but I urge you to study all the links and links within links.

I'm going to post articles from both left/right and conspiracy sources and they will all show basically the same thing. We have pretty much lost all our rights.

Preface: While a lot of people talk about the loss of our Constitutional liberties, people usually speak in a vague, generalized manner … or focus on only one issue and ignore the rest.

This post explains the liberties guaranteed in the Bill of Rights – the first 10 amendments to the United States Constitution – and provides a scorecard on the extent of the loss of each right.

Scorecard: How Many Rights Have Americans REALLY Lost?
1st amendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Does anyone here think we still have these rights?

First they tortured a U.S. citizen and gang member …
I remained silent;
I wasn’t a criminal

Then they tortured a U.S. citizen, whistleblower and navy veteran …
I remained silent;
I wasn’t a whistleblower

Then they locked up an attorney for representing accused criminals …
I remained silent;
I wasn’t a defense attorney

I Will Stand Up For You If You Stand Up For Me
Example one-

The Bush administration's May, 2002 lawless detention of U.S. citizen Jose Padilla – on U.S. soil – was, as I recounted in my book, the first incident which really prompted me to begin concluding that things were going terribly awry in our country. The administration declared Padilla an "enemy combatant," put him in a military prison, and refused to charge him with any crime or even allow him access to a lawyer or anyone else. He stayed in a black hole, kept by his own government, for the next three-a-half-years with no charges of any kind ever asserted against him and with the administration insisting on the right to detain him (and any other American citizen) indefinitely – all based solely on the secret, unchallengeable say-so of the President that he was an "enemy combatant."

The Bush Administration's Torture of U.S. Citizen Jose Padilla
Example 2-

Bradley Manning’s conviction under the Espionage Act is the latest development in the Obama administration’s push to prosecute leaks. We’ve updated our timeline with the most recent events.

Despite promises to strengthen protections for whistleblowers, the Obama administration has launched an aggressive crackdown on government employees who have leaked national security information to the press.

With charges filed against NSA leaker Edward Snowden this June, the administration has brought a total of seven cases under the Espionage Act, which dates from World War I and criminalizes disclosing information “relating to the national defense.” Prior to the current administration, there had been only three known casesresulting in indictments in which the Espionage Act was used to prosecute government officials for leaks.

propublica

Again there are too many examples to list here this is just scratching the surface, The Constitution was designed to limit government power, they seem to have no limit of power so ....
2nd amendment:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Even tho I'm labeled a liberal progressive I'm a die hard supporter of the right to keep and bear arms and I'm a supporter of militias. I also know and anyone that watches the news knows this right is under attack.

This fight is divided on political lines generally the left want restrictions those on the right say hell no!
3rd amendment-
No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

I see no violation of this amendment.

4th amendment-
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The fact that we have to piss in a cup or take a physical for a job clearly shows we have no rights here:

But the government is flying drones over the American homeland to spy on us.

Senator Rand Paul correctly notes:
The domestic use of drones to spy on Americans clearly violates the Fourth Amendment and limits our rights to personal privacy.

scorecard
Both Paul and his father are 100% correct on this issue.

Here is a map where they will operate drones from

edit on 17-8-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
4th amendment continued-

The American government is collecting and storing virtually every phone call, purchases, email, text message, internet searches, social media communications, health information, employment history, travel and student records, and virtually all other information of every American. [And see this.]

Some also claim that the government is also using facial recognition software and surveillance cameras to track where everyone is going. Moreover, cell towers track where your phone is at any moment, and the major cell carriers, including Verizon and AT&T, responded to at least 1.3 million law enforcement requests for cell phone locations and other data in 2011. (And – given that your smartphone routinely sends your location information back to Apple or Google – it would be child’s play for the government to track your location that way.) Your iPhone, or other brand of smartphone is spying on virtually everything you do (ProPublica notes: “That’s No Phone. That’s My Tracker“).

scorecard
Again the same as the 1st amendment there are too many example to post, most of us are aware of whats going on, but I still urge you to research for yourself. don't let CNN, or Fox decide for you.

5th amendment-
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
example1-

Top Legal Expert: “President Obama … Says That He Can Kill [Any American Citizen Without Any Charge and] On His Own Discretion. He Can Jail You Indefinitely On His Own Discretion”

link
example 2-

Washington, D.C.—The public reaction to the Kelo decision by the U.S. Supreme Court has been widespread and nearly unanimous in its outrage. Homes and small businesses, churches and open pieces of land can now be taken by the government only to be handed over to private developers for their private gain, and the U.S. Constitution offers no protection, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled.

instituteforjustice

Again there are Many examples, too many to list

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Excellent subject and one to watch veeeery carefully.

A slow erosion is happening and the cliche'd slow "death by a hundred cuts" is being committed.

It's really our collective fault for abdicating government to the (in general) idiots who can't make it in the public sector.

Until reasonable people who wouldn't normally want such responsibility engage in politics, it will continue to be the mire of corruption and stupid that it is now.

The natural social groupings and resultant elitism needs to be shaken up and corruption needs to be rooted out... everyone whines about how corporatism is creeping into our govt (or already taken it in its entirety), but what actions or laws have resulted? Hmmm...

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
6th amendment-
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

My brother wants to argue red light camera tickets based on there not being a accuser, but the local jurisdictions just put one cop in charge, and he acts as the accuser.
example 1

American militants like Anwar al-Awlaki are placed on a kill or capture list by a secretive panel of senior government officials, which then informs the president of its decisions . . . . There is no public record of the operations or decisions of the panel, which is a subset of the White House’s National Security Council . . . . Neither is there any law establishing its existence or setting out the rules by which it is supposed to operate. . . . The role of the president in ordering or ratifying a decision to target a citizen is fuzzy. White House spokesman Tommy Vietor declined to discuss anything about the process. . . .

Salon

example 2

President Obama has just stated a policy that he can have any American citizen killed without any charge, without any review, except his own. If he’s satisfied that you are a terrorist, he says that he can kill you anywhere in the world including in the United States.

Two of his aides just … reaffirmed they believe that American citizens can be killed on the order of the President anywhere including the United States.

You’ve now got a president who says that he can kill you on his own discretion. He can jail you indefinitely on his own discretion

constitutional experts

Again lots of examples that we no long have these rights.

7th amendment-
In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

There hasn't been as much of a violation to this compared to the others.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Every US Citizen has unknowingly and unwittingly given up all their unalienable natural rights guaranteed in the US Constitution. All you have now are (privileges and immunities) Civil Rights that are created by the US Government.

The 14th Amendment is what did all this and your silent consent is what perpetuates it. Some will argues the 14th was never properly ratified which it wasn't. The problem is consent makes the law. As long as you consent to being a US Citizen then you are a slave because of this amendment.

If you want to restore your natural unalienable rights then withdraw your consent to be governed by the US Government. Nationality comes before citizenship, so therefore claim your rightful nationality of your State of birth. In other words expatriate from the federal government you "SUBJECTS".

Look up the "15 statutes at large" these are known as the expatriation acts. Signed into law the day before the 14th was signed into law. The 13th outlawed involuntary slavery but the 14th tricked you into voluntary slavery!
edit on 17-8-2014 by IncognitoGhostman because: Spelling and grammar

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
8th amendment-
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
example 1

I’m not talking simply about judicial corruption. True, as I pointed out on February 17, 2009:

Senior judges in Pennsylvania have pleaded guilty to falsely convicting and imprisoning hundreds of youths (they got kickbacks from the prisons).

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court refused to hear a case regarding the corrupt judges. A month later, only after the judges confessed to criminal wrongdoing, did the Supreme Court change its mind and take any interest

link
Example 2
Just look at the botched executions lately.

9th amendment
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Corporations, government and authorities have rights we(citizens) don't.
10th amendment
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Do you have opinions on this topic ATS?

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
8th amendment-
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
example 1

I’m not talking simply about judicial corruption. True, as I pointed out on February 17, 2009:

Senior judges in Pennsylvania have pleaded guilty to falsely convicting and imprisoning hundreds of youths (they got kickbacks from the prisons).

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court refused to hear a case regarding the corrupt judges. A month later, only after the judges confessed to criminal wrongdoing, did the Supreme Court change its mind and take any interest

link
Example 2
Just look at the botched executions lately.

9th amendment
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Corporations, government and authorities have rights we(citizens) don't.
10th amendment
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Do you have opinions on this topic ATS?

To add to your examples.
in numerous states, the bail for misdemeanors can exceed $1000
I would say that counts as excessive

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

Generally across the board the wealthy can bail out, the poor can't. I wanna focus on them its the government that has created this system.

Under Obama the wealthy usually don't get arrested so they are not in a position to post bail. GWB arrested a ton of wealthy for violating the law, but not this administration, the rules or rights have been changed more rights for some less for others.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
America isn't falling. It's crumbling under its own weight. Weight made up of redundant red tape that has created a big, overfed, bloated monster. Regulations, rules, definitions, guidelines. Protocols that only serve to strip rights and humiliate those seeking privacy and freedom. We've lost mostly everything already. Is there one thing we can do that is free from any form of governmental structure? Even thinking is constrained by the rigidity of this unjust system.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Heard!
Indeed. This goes far beyond left vs Right that is dividing us.
It only serves to empower those who really do not have much power.

They have the illusion of power.
And it is going to become clear. That their power over us, is just that an illusion.
Their deluded sense of reality is going to slowly break down.

When there is NO justice, there can be no peace.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

That's just the tip of the iceberg my "friend."

Don't forget all the rights enumerated in all the UN and Human Rights Treaties that we are a party to.

I'm pretty sure there are hundreds of rights buried and hidden in the "Treaties in Force" document here: www.state.gov...
See: Article 6 US Constitution.

My signature has a major treaty to boot as well. Funny how we never hear about those, right?
edit on 17-8-2014 by Not Authorized because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-8-2014 by Not Authorized because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Here is a link to one of my older threads with a good break down of the first 10 amendments, enjoy.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I think for Americans it's going to be taking away the 2nd Ammendent rights that will prove to be the "problem." Everything else is acceptable because it's not something that is necessarily "physical" or "tangible" or even real on some level.

The minute doors are being knocked on to turn over their hunting rifles, grand-daddy's passed down from generation to generation rifles and guns, etc....then there would be an objection. The intangible; that is harder for some to grasp because they think all is well and right in their world because they have a physical object to reassure them. Just my opinion...
edit on 17-8-2014 by queenofsheba because: word issue

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Whew. That's like a laborinth of SHTF already and we're waiting for the consequences to be more obvious. I'm still reading and its been many page clicks, many that counts me in ...

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Are there any doubters still left?

I remember the days when ATS was full of people saying "Things aren't that bad" or "your exaggerating" I can't remember how many times I had to reply defending the idea of a coming police state.

Where did they go? Did they wake up? Did they leave out of shame being proven wrong?

The time is over for dealing with naysayers and idiots. It's obvious there are more than a few people here that know full well what our true enemy is.

Don't let people put you down, saying you are doing nothing but talking on a message board. You are sharing ideas. You are absorbing ideas. Fine tuning your outlook and opinions, along with many others interested in fine tuning.

These ideas have been bouncing around here on ATS for awhile, what progress have we made? The narrative is changing in a big way. Instead of libertards and republi#s bickering amongst themselves now it's mostly a united majority who has been shown the reality of this country and are done with it.

People around me, friends and family are waking up. A few years back I never would have dreamed they would be nodding in agreement and coming back with good points during such discussions. They are learning. YOU ALL helped with this. You help me to refine my ideals with your unique perspective, I help you refine yours with my perspective. This is how it works, the first step is us all getting here and talking. Now we've come to a fairly clear consensus. The next step is spreading that, but remember to spread the word with logic and reason, not outrage and emotion.

Withdraw your consent. Stop obeying laws which violate your constitutional (or god given depending on the person) rights. Stop putting up with stupid people, ignore them. Make them irrelevant just like we plan to make the federal occupying force irrelevant.

new topics

top topics

join