Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Protesters Call for Pakistani Premier to Step Down

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — As rain poured down, young men draped in political party flags danced in the streets of Islamabad on Saturday, waiting for the next stage of the “revolution” promised by Imran Khan, the opposition leader and former cricket star.

Hours later, Mr. Khan addressed his drenched supporters, thousands of whom had followed him on a protest march from Lahore, reiterating his core demand — the resignation of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif — and calling for new elections.

Protesters Call for Pakistani Premier to Step Down

Pakistan politics in a street-led meltdown? Or is it the usual CIA/MI6-funded civic society uprising?

Remember that Pakistan is a nuclear nation and that it is also strategic to military interests, sharing borders with Iran (oil and gas-rich); Afghanistan (gas-rich); China (fastest growing economy in the world) and India (our "friend" in this part of Asia).

churchinchains.ie...

From what I can glean from Sky channel 802 (UK), which is almost entirely in Urdu, there were two marches that set off from a city in Pakistan called Lahore and ended in the capital Islamabad. The reports in English have indicated that the heads of both marches share an agenda - to bring down the Government!

Both leaders - Dr Tahirul Qadri and Imran Khan (former cricketer) want to implement changes in Pakistan that will bring about social change, increase egalitarianism and end corrupt practices. Both leaders claim 1,000,000 supporters but, from what I can see, based on looking around full soccer stadia, there are about 70-100,000 in each March with large numbers restricted from reaching the meeting points by huge shipping containers placed by the Government on strategic roads into Islamabad.

Nevertheless, the movements both insist on the dissolution of Parliament in 24 hours (due to vote-fixing proved by Imran Khan) whilst Dr Qadri wants a re-enactment of the French Revolution...

Thousands of protesters have gathered in Pakistan's capital Islamabad after arriving in big convoys from Lahore. Rally leaders Imran Khan and Tahirul Qadri demanded that Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif step down, alleging rigging in the 2013 elections. Mr Qadri, an anti-government cleric, told his supporters in a midday speech to continue protesting until they bring a "peaceful revolution". Last year's election saw the first civilian government transfer of power. There was tight security in Islamabad as the protesters arrived in poor weather by truck, jeeps and cars after travelling the 350km (218 miles) from Lahore to Islamabad. Cricketer-turned politician Imran Khan and cleric Tahirul Qadri, who have separate groups of supporters, have vowed to together bring one million followers on to the streets of the city.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Both leaders have received death threats but this may be a general theme in politics in this part of the world, I am not sure if these were genuine.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Yet the Western Press are downplaying the numbers involved and the sheer scale and drama of this "Long March!"

I have to wonder if we are happy with a sham democracy as long as "our guy" is in charge?

Long live the revolution...
edit on 17/8/2014 by Heronumber0 because: Correction and addition of a link

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Heronumber0

UPDATE: 20 August 2014
MILLION MAN MARCH REACHES PARLIAMENT SQUARE IN ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN

I have been watching SKY Channel 802 (changed yesterday)with great interest since about 12 August 2014. Thanks to my friend Hakim for his translation.

A million man march has now reached the vicinity of the Parliament buildings in the Pakistani capital. Two marches comprising 500,000 people have descended on the capital and have caused a halt to normal society in Pakistan.

This is a civic uprising almost ignored by news media except for perfunctory articles.

There seem to be no foreign news channels with reporters in the area. A conspiracy or contempt for Pakistani politics? Who knows?

Both marches are peaceful but calling for a total replacement of Government.

Both leaders of the 2 separate marches have sworn to stay outside the Parliament buildings until the PM resigns.

If successful, the nation will wake up to a new PM and Government who demand a new agenda.

If the story finally hits the headlines. Remember where you saw this first.

Link to Dr Ul Qadri

Link to Imran Khan

edit on 19/8/2014 by Heronumber0 because: Link Discombobulation
edit on 19/8/2014 by Heronumber0 because: Author's discombobulation

new topics

join