It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the difference between Jesus and all of the other gods?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   
What's the difference between Jesus and lets say Zeus? What sets Jesus apart? Why should I believe Jesus exists but not Zeus or Neptune?
This is not aimed to offend anyone I'm just genuinely curious

I know that Jesus might have existed but I'm talking about the Christian god what sets him apart from the rest?
edit on 8/17/2014 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Well Duh... the Bible tells you so.

But, seriously you're gonna get responses on Faith and Scripture and history... I can't wait.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
What's the difference between Jesus and lets say Zeus? What sets Jesus apart? Why should I believe Jesus exists but not Zeus or Neptune?
This is not aimed to offend anyone I'm just genuinely curious

I know that Jesus might have existed but I'm talking about the Christian god what sets him apart from the rest?

Zeus has a cooler name?

I am not well versed in either religion, but as far as i am concerned, Jesus was a man who was possibly the son of God, and Zeus was one god out of many in the Ancient Greek religion.

The overall difference is that there is some evidence to suggest that Jesus existed, and no evidence to suggest that Zeus did. I understand that Jesus is considered a part of the holy trinity in Christianity, but perhaps your comparison would be better suited to the sky god of Christianity and Zeus...as neither can be proven to exist.

Hell, i don't even think you can compare them, other than that Zeus is one God who rules over others, and the Christian God is considered the one and only. It would be better to compare the two religions, rather than two divine figures of them.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I think is because jebus was a white, blue eyed american looking dude born in the Arabic middle east.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: zeevar
And here i thought thinking he was born in Missouri

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

His followers give more money. So more advertising.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Jesus has frequent guest spots on Family Guy and South Park, older gods like Marduck and Ra, just don't know how to stay relevant and so they lose the all important younger demographic.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   
The key thing is the difference between Monotheism vs Polytheism.

Jesus and the Judeo-Christian mob were the first bunch to come along and say hey, no, there are not hundreds of little gods all behaving like crazy-assed children, there is but One God who created Everything.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
There's no difference at all. It's possible that the guy we call 'Jesus' may have actually been a real, living human being - but other than that, the rest is no different to any other traditional story of religion.

That's what makes The Flying Spaghetti Monster so terrifyingly appropriate.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Nothing.

They are just different names and manifestations of tools used by power hungry men (its nearly always bloody men) to control others.
In a nutshell....

'Act in a way I want you to.... because my invisible all powerful ally (...insert deity) will get pissed off and get you.
Even after you die.

They are simply the 'big brother in the next room" so behave!

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Seriously though. The Greeks had their mythology first. Then they tried to blend it with Christianity. This was called paganism, then came Christianity we are more familiar with.

Greek Philosophical texts were written with the understanding that one knew Greek mythos. If no one gives you a better reply I'll look in my philosophy books for the specific mans name thst brought these better into alignment. His name escapes me but his mother was pagan, he was raised with this religion and converted to be a Christian.

With this back ground he was probably the only one of his time that could reconcile these two as compatible.

With that in mind, that the people of this time utilized mythos and logos together. The work resulting from this man could be considered a pivoting point in the ancient history of religion.

Details are rarely my thing. If you need me to look through my books and class note I will certainly do this. However there are people on here that are much better at explaining the details than I am.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Not nothing. There's always the ability to compare and contrast. Even if you view them as mere faerytales. There is much to be considered similar.

a reply to: HumansEh

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
Not nothing. There's always the ability to compare and contrast. Even if you view them as mere faerytales. There is much to be considered similar.

a reply to: HumansEh

Of course, each new religion since time began has had to include familiar elements of the old to make it acceptable.

Festivals, events in characters lives, guidelines etc all contain elements of previous religions.
All from the pens of man.
Religion is the ultimate 'mashup'

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   

he was the only son of atum (adam) born into a fully human body.

they mistakenly translate son of adam to son of man.
man and adam were not originally the same thing. it wasn't till the adam became human that it took on the connotation of man (as in humankind).

personally, i think atum is cooler than zeus.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   
He was never supposed to be seen as a god . He's a living depiction of what god would have been like as a man even though most of his story is stolen from the babalonian fable of nimrod a reply to: muse7

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: PrettyPicasso
He was never supposed to be seen as a god . He's a living depiction of what god would have been like as a man even though most of his story is stolen from the babalonian fable of nimrod a reply to: muse7

no, the tradition nimrod followed is older than nimrod. and nimrod, was not a human being.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
nimrod (not his real name, but rather a title), BECAME a mighty one (a nephilim).
that's not a human being.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz

Jesus and the Judeo-Christian mob were the first bunch to come along and say hey, no, there are not hundreds of little gods all behaving like crazy-assed children, there is but One God who created Everything.

Ha so now there is just one crazy assed child running the show.

Monotheistic ideas are older than the Jesus and the Judeo-Christian mob as you put it.

Emperor Constantine believed in the supremacy of Sol Invicta the supreme Sun God.
His monotheistic leanings made his conversion to Christian monotheism seamless.

Had he not worshipped Sol Invicta by frequently staring into the face of his God perhaps his burned retinas would not have had a vision of a cross in the sky already a symbol of the fledgling Christian cult active in Rome at the time. This literally blinding revelation he related to his victory in battle by way not of skilful soldiering, but obviously because of the crosses he had adopted as his sigil.

As Emperor, Christianity became the 'official' state religion and here we are!

A bit like IS, and all other warmongers who believe that winning a war proves that their own personal 'God' is all powerful and supports them.
So it becomes the new 'official' religion by co-opting/destroying what existed before.
Its a constantly churning sea.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz

Wrong. Look at this for example.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
the bible is a sumerian-egyptian text.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join