It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter snaps a huge boulder that rolled down the slope.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Watch out for tumbling boulders on Mars!

A track about one-third of a mile (500 meters) long on Mars shows where an irregularly shaped boulder careened downhill to its current upright position, seen in a July 3, 2014, image from the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera aboard NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

The shadow cast by the rock in mid-afternoon sunlight reveals it is about 20 feet (6 meters) tall. In the downward-looking image, the boulder is only about 11.5 feet (3.5 meters) wide. It came to rest standing upright. The trail it left on the slope has a pattern that suggests the boulder couldn't roll smoothly or straight due to its shape. Nasa doesn't yet know what dislodged the boulder, but recent speculation suggests it may have been due to a meteor striking one of the larger craters.

Official article and images:
www.nasa.gov...
hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

Here's a full-scale image crop I made from HiView:

It's cool how you can see some surface detail on the boulder.

Here's a zoomed-in view of the boulder:

There is what looks like a small crater on its top. I have a crazy idea that the boulder rolled down the slope after being hit by a small meteorite.

edit on 17-8-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
The track looks like elephants holding each others tails in their trunks walking uphill. Interesting photo for sure. The explanation sounds plausible enough.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   
There are dozens of HiRISE photos with tracks of rolling boulders, this is nothing new.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
it's martian boy scouts going around pushing over natural martian world monuments.
find them punks fine em, put them in jail.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
There are dozens of HiRISE photos with tracks of rolling boulders, this is nothing new.

The media have decided to really pick up on this one: Google results for "mars rolling boulder"
Perhaps because of the size of the boulder and the length of the trail (half a kilometer).
edit on 17-8-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Or for lack of other news.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Anyone can see that those are snowshoe rabbit tracks. Sheeze
edit on 17-8-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
It's just a rock!!! I mean, a boulder. It is awesome to see but is not rare, to say the least. Had it an alien riding on top of it or something, or looked like the head of a statue, -THEN it would be star and flag heaven. lol It is cool, though.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Interesting pic because of the simple detail of it!

Could be a meteorite, but a more likely explanation is some kind of seismic event dislodging it. I read that Mars is fairly active in that respect!.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
it looks like it bounced down the hill. Follow the track back up to the top of the hill and it looks like there is a small crater where the track starts.I think that thing was airborne and landed near the top of the hill then bounced down the hill.

new topics

top topics

join