It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gave up smoking for an E-Cig

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
nvm
edit on 18-8-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I made the switch in march. Today I no longer smoke cigarettes and I barely vape anymore.

I make my own liquid it is super easy and I know exactly whats in it.

Good Luck, keep at it, you will do great.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

If you smoke half a cigarette when you need to think, it increases your ability to think. Now smoking a couple of cigarettes in a row will actually overload the sensors in your brain and shut them down, dumbing you down. I read in a study on cigarettes that how you smoke also does effect the absorbtion of chemicals, some being absorbed in the mouth. To make a statement that cigarettes are bad for everyone, no matter what the consumption habits is not scientific. Since nicotine stimulates the release of insulin, this causes a lessening of paristolic action in most people, which slows down digestion and reduces food cravings.

There are many positive reasons for moderate smoking of real tobacco, under five cigarettes a day, but they seem to disappear if you smoke over that. Now, if you eat properly most of these positive reasons are not needed, but most people do not eat properly because they are not aware of all the properties foods possess. Instead they look at evidence that says to avoid certain foods, evidence based on a single property of food and not all the properties of that food. Preparation techniques and companion foods can cancel out the negative effects of many foods, our ancestors knew that but we listen to science instead of proven information from people before us that is pertinent to our nationalities hereditary diet.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Well you have a choice this might help cigarettes have over 100,000 carcinogens in them E-Cigs may have Antifreeze in them. It's pretty weird that for such a small cartridge you can take so many pulls. I've Tried E-Cigs and for me if you smoke it a lot you tend to get a headache.

vaperanks.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: MartyMar7000

It does not have Antifreeze in it. It has propylene glycol which is used in the antifreeze where human consumption may happen thus meaning its harmless. Propylene glycol is used in every single flavor extract you use when baking or making candy.

from your source "PG is sometimes used as an ingredient for antifreeze"

it really does matter how you say things because there is a HUGE difference between Antifreeze and an ingredient used in Antifreeze.

The problem with people is they keep buying gas station cigarette lookalike e-cigs. Those will not help, you need a real vaporizer or a mod. THEN you will see the difference.

Also make your own juice. cost 100 times less and you get to know exactly what's in it and you will see that antifreeze is not an ingredient on the list.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

E-cigs DO NOT contain anti-freeze!
Please read your own linked article and stop spreading lies!

If your getting headaches from e-cigs it could be several different causes, one being an overdose of nicotine, try dropping your nic levels, or use it less...

edit on 18pm31600000014 by datguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: datguy

E-cigs DO NOT contain anti-freeze!
Please read your own linked article and stop spreading lies!

If your getting headaches from e-cigs it could be several different causes, one being an overdose of nicotine, try dropping your nic levels, or use it less...

I went for 18 mg nicotine and i find i cant take more than 5-10 pulls at one time before its just too much, so if anyone knows any ways to dilute the liquids i have, id love to hear it.

Someone i know that uses one says he uses vodka to thin down the solutions, but that sounds like an inherently bad idea - but alas i am new to this whole thing so that could be a good idea, im clueless really.

So far the cherry and grape flavors have been the best, the coffee one was just awful.

Also if anyone has any tips for how to clean the reservoir when you change flavors that would be helpful, i have ordered some spare reservoirs so i dont have to actually change the liquid, i can just keep one flavor in each and just screw on the one i want. But they wont arrive for a few days, so im having to drain the last of the liquid and attempt to suck the last bit out with tissue paper - rather tedious.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

You can do one of two things, you can order more e-liquid with a lower nicotine content, or I would assume you can get more of the PG/VG base and use that to dilute what you already have by mixing some extra base in.

Go to www.e-cigarette-forum.com... and talk to the chemist there...

As far as cleaning the reservoir, look in youtube for some how to videos, I found those very helpful.

edit on 18-8-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

48 years old, smoked since I was 16, few months back I got into vaping and moved up to more advanced devices. been cigarette free for 69 days, 1 hour and 24 minutes as of this post. I cant see myself going back to analogs, and hate the smell of them now. Feel way better, more active, enjoy food more,,, and love the flavors that I can vape.

Vape on and vape strong!

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: lance_covel

48 years old, smoked since I was 16, few months back I got into vaping and moved up to more advanced devices. been cigarette free for 69 days, 1 hour and 24 minutes as of this post. I cant see myself going back to analogs, and hate the smell of them now. Feel way better, more active, enjoy food more,,, and love the flavors that I can vape.

Vape on and vape strong!

im only 31 but ive been smoking since i was 14, i didnt smoke a lot just a couple a day really, more if i go out drinking - i dont know why but after a few beers i tended to smoke a heck of a lot more, probably down to lack of self control.

im about 7 or 8 day days into using this vap cig and im really blown away by how good it actually is. I never tryed one before because i just assumed it would be crap, but its very clean and smooth, has a great taste and none of the crappy side effects like cancerous tar and i dont smell like a freaking ashtray which was always a concern when meeting new people (mainly girls).

When you kiss a smoker it just takes all of the pleasure out of it, i smoked and my girl smoked too and yet even though we both smoked, kissing her tasted like licking an ashtray, this e-cig thingy DEFINITELY helps, shes not into it yet but im hoping to convert her

edit on b3434805 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Best move I ever made was to start vaping. Have not cheated once. There are some great communities out there for vaping... I happen to love ECF.

www.e-cigarette-forum.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Hi Biggs,

Good for you for making such a positive change in your life. Although I tried many times, I was never able to give it up permanently myself until last November when my friend introduced me to e-cigarettes as well.

It’s nice not being treated like a pariah when I would smoke outside, instead people now comment on how yummy my e-cig juice smells!

I realize that vaping isn’t likely good for us, but every article I’ve read agree that it’s much better than smoking. And once you find a supplier who you like, you can feel safe in knowing that there aren’t any weird substances in your e-liquid.

I’m Canadian, so I don’t know if this is much help. But Jugheads makes really good e-juice and it’s just VG and/or PG, Nicotine and flavour that’s added in. An American company that I love is called Mister E-Liquid.

For purchasing really inexpensive (but good quality) electronic supplies, I recommend checking out a company called “Fasttech.” I strongly suspect it’s where many of the North American vendors buy their stuff, which they then mark up.

But be warned, the name of the company is a misnomer. It’s very slow lol. I expect anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 months when I place my order. However, the prices are so low, that it’s worth it imo.

The best piece of advice I can give you, is to make sure that you stock up on pretty much everything you need. When I first started my battery charger broker and I was SOL for a few weeks. (I was not a happy camper)

Anyways, congratulations again on becoming a vaper!
I bet you’re already feeling healthier and an unexpected benefit to vaping is that you’ll find cigarettes start to taste kind of gross.

For a little while, when I started vaping, I would still have the occasional cigarette and was honestly really surprised to find that I couldn’t even finish them.

Oh one last thing. You may already know this, but when you first start, it’s often wise to buy one or two bottles of e-liquid with a higher nicotine level then what you’re used to when smoking. This is because it takes longer for the nicotine to be absorbed in our system when vaping. And so when you feel the need that you “really have to have a smoke” – a strong e-liquid should do the trick.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Serendipity! Yesterday I was running low on cigarettes and as I was in the supermarket anyway I hesitated at the cigarette counter. In the back of my mind was the balance in my bank account, the number of days left to pay day and the broken boiler at home that urgently needs attention before winter sets in.

I stood there at the counter and ran some calculations in my head and realised that I badly want to quit smoking for financial reasons. Health reasons came a very poor second overshadowed by the stubborn part of my brain which did threw a little party in honour of the satisfaction the habit brings (smokers will know exactly what I mean).

I walked past the cigarette counter knowing that I would definitely run out of cigarettes before long and went instead to the part of the supermarket that holds all the quit smoking paraphernalia. There I stood with an e-cig in my hands for ages debating with myself. I browsed in front of that display arguing with myself for so long that I thought I might attract attention on the shop's security CCTV.

End result? I didn't buy cigarettes but neither did I buy the e-cig, but left the shop with the intention of looking up reviews and opinions on the e-cigs and ..... well this post happened!

Thank you Biigs for kicking it off and thank you to all posters for their comments and experience. It has been a huge help to me in making that final decision to quit. There are 3 cigarettes left in the box - enough to see me through to the next supermarket visit to buy that e-cig. I really REALLY want to do this. Wish me luck.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Mura44

Good for you Mura.

The e-cig does has a weird funky flavor, its not quite the same as a real cig but it wont slowly kill you or make you cough or stink so while its not the same, real cigs are hardly perfect anyway.

Definitely give it a try, whats the worst that can happen? You spend a few boxes worth of cig money.

Its not for everyone but for me, its working out seriously well and the nicotine boost is spot on, i havnt wanted to have a real cig since i started - also theres the bonus of not having to go outside. At work i HAVE to go outside when i smoke a real cig, at home obviously i can do what i want but the e-cig means my house doesnt stink like #

If you want to try e-cig try the disposable one first, a proper one works way better but a disposable one is decent for a "intro" device.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably be trying my first e-cig before the day is out.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Good luck to you mura!
I do have one request, those supermarket e-cigs are not a very good long term solution. Though it is not a cigarette which is a huge step, there are much more efficient and effective alternatives.

It might seem a bit of an initial investment but by purchasing a rechargeable battery and tank you will find that long term it is cheaper. This method is also more effective as you will have the ability to select a flavor you are comfortable with and control your own nicotine levels which can allow you to reduce the levels and quit more effectively.

Again, good luck to you, you already took the hardest step!

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: datguy

Good luck to you mura!
I do have one request, those supermarket e-cigs are not a very good long term solution. Though it is not a cigarette which is a huge step, there are much more efficient and effective alternatives.

It might seem a bit of an initial investment but by purchasing a rechargeable battery and tank you will find that long term it is cheaper. This method is also more effective as you will have the ability to select a flavor you are comfortable with and control your own nicotine levels which can allow you to reduce the levels and quit more effectively.

Again, good luck to you, you already took the hardest step!

a reply to: datguy

Thanks datguy. My research showed me that there are more options than what my local supermarket can offer, but I popped in to the supermarket again this morning simply because it is close and convenient. Anyway the e-cigs were at a kind of pharmacy counter inside the store so there was a lovely girl behind the counter who could give me advice about the options.

Yes, the supermarket options were limited but I have come home with a 'starter' e-ciggie which she suggested might be a good way to find out it I even like the thing - cheaper than the full blown rechargeable option. So if I discovered I didn't like it then I haven't spent too much to start off but if I find I catch on I can go a little further and spend a little more for the other options. (Considering what I spend on cigarettes each month I am surprised that I am considering this aspect at all!)

And now that I have tried it I think I can take this up really easily, so when my cheapie-starter-intro one runs out I will go the rechargeable route because as you say, it will be cheaper in the long run.

Thanks everyone in this thread for giving me that final push I needed.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I managed to stop for about 6 weeks with an ecig but I found that for me the vapour really dries out my airways and I end up with a worse cough than when I smoked analogs.

I'd desperately love to quit and thought that ecigs would do it but the vapour is just too harsh for me.

Has anyone else had this problem?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Been using an Ego-C for about a year to help me cut down.

Works like a dream and almost as good as the real thing. I as specially use it at work, whle out on long wildfire campaigns and don't even think about cigarettes.

The down side though, the state I generally work in over the fire season has just made it a criminal offence own or use an E-Cigg (with or without nicotine).

Hoping other states do not follow suite.

edit on 20-8-2014 by Ironclad2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
E-Cigs are majorly imported from China and their the ones that recently gave McDonald's rotten meat mixed in with other ingredients. It has also not been in the market for that long so the long term effects are unknown. You can do what you want I know what i'm doing. I'm not spreading misinformation I'm just stating my opinion. You want to smoke E-Cigs go right ahead but in a world where the truth and science is quickly changing the only way to know what's right is going with what feels right. Everyone is different I'm just simply stating my opinion and posted the link i did to give info to anyone out there that wasn't aware. I personally roll my own cigarettes with natural tobacco. That the safest way to smoke in my opinion. By the way if you ever have a cold tobacco is known for it's ability to make you excrete flem that other wise you would have to wait or use medication which I don't. With that being said goodnight to all and make your choices wisely.
edit on 20-8-2014 by MartyMar7000 because: Extra Info

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join