It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gave up smoking for an E-Cig

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

There are a number of different companies out there that make the fluid that you put into them where you can order different levels of nicotine like high, medium, low, and no nicotine in them, you just have to do a little research online to find out which companies sell it, the nicotine level is not my personal major concern, so I just buy whatever local stores have as far as flavors my major concern when I quit cigarettes was the carcinogens in smoking, so the nicotine level wasn't what I looked for in it, but I may to start searching online for fluid that has no nicotine in it as well.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DonVoigt

Thanks.

I guess my big problem is I hate buying stuff on line.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Well done! You won't regret switching.
My wife and I were both long-time cigarette smokers...and quit six months ago with Ecigs and we haven't gone back to tobacco and never will.
We buy the rechargeable cartridge ones from westside vapor and love them.
The freedom is wonderful.
edit on 17-8-2014 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Just wanted to say congrats to those who have utilized this great tool to quit smoking!

Thats what got me into the industry in the first place and i love every day of it.

I also wanted to elate a concern about "vaping" causing pnuemonia...
This is a falicy! It lso does not cause fluid build up in the lungs, if that were the case so many people
, including myself, would have already drowned....js

While there is a small percentage of the population that have allergic reactions to propylene glycol, any pnuemonia symptoms or fluid build up is caused by preexsisting conditions, you have or know someone who has experienced this please seek medical advise before vaping!

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Like you, I made the switch a couple months ago. It was great for about two weeks, and then the pain kicked in. I've been on more meds and been to more doctors in the last month than I have in my entire life. It took a trip to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack, and numerous tests later to find out that.....ta da! I'm a "healthy adult male". Which in all reality is great news! My issue, though, is that I can't laugh, cough, or even breathe deeply without pain shooting through my whole body. Just a few days ago I broke out in some itchy rash all over my body. Maybe I'm allergic to something in one of the juices? I've asked every doctor I've been to if they think that it could be from using e-cigs, and every one of them said e-cigs are definitely not the problem. I'm at the point where every day I wake up there is a new issue, and I'm about 99% sure it's from switching. Health wise- I've honestly never felt worse in my life.

I don't want to be a downer on this topic, because I absolutely LOVE everything about e-cigs. I just wish I didn't have to go through the slow and aggravating process of figuring out what specific ingredient that my body doesn't agree with. I have two more options as far as personal tests go. If those don't work, I'm going to embrace those Marlboros with open arms.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Myomistress

While it is true that big tobacco does produce the blu and other products that you would find on your local store shelves like walmart or gas stations,
There are shops cropping up all over the country which provide locally made e-liquids or distributed by trusted companies such as "standard" or "mount baker vapors" which are produced in qualified, clean, lab environments.

The basic difference is, these smaller companies disclose the ingredients they use on thier products.

I am also one who produces my own "juice" so i know first hand how good they can taste and the quality of the ingredients.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

I started vaping on May 24th and haven't smoked a cigarette since. I started with menthol flavor, simply because it tasted more like a cigarette than just the tobacco flavor. Now I mix menthol and cinnamon. It is fabulous. After smoking for roughly 25 years, I thought it would be impossible to quit. I love my e-cig!!! I have went from 24 mg of nicotine down to 12 mg in just under 3 months. Hopefully I will be at 0 mg by Christmas.

I am proud of your accomplishments...keep up the good work!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymiw

Sound like an allergic reaction to propylene glycol, i have dealt with a few "disgruntled" customers with the same symptoms,
There is the possibilty of purchasing an e-liquid product that is 100% VG (vegetable glycerine).

It is rare due to the availabilty of "vg" flavorings and nicotine as well as the increased cost in production but some companies do offer this product for individuals with this allergy.
Hope you figure it out because i would hate to see you turn back to the companies that have been lying to us and poisoning us with govt. approval for so many years.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Not sure where you live but have you tried a google search for vapor or e-cig shops in your area?

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: datguy

That's exactly what I thought myself. I had been using a flavor from Virgin Vapors - 100%VG, for a couple days before the rash showed up. I was also having itchy eyes and sneezing while using the VV flavor. Maybe it was an ingredient in the flavoring. But since then, I've been using unflavored 100%VG, and have felt no change whatsoever. I've heard it's possible, but very rare, for someone to have an intolerance to vegetable glycerin. Maybe this is my problem? I'm waiting on a small sample of unflavored 100%PG right now to see if that makes a difference. Aside from that, I don't know what else to do. Or if there are even any other options.

I've been scouring the web to find answers, and so far, I haven't found anything that has helped me better my health. So, your input is greatly appreciated, thank you!

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymiw

That is interesting and concerning, i know some companies hold thier recipes for juice fairly close but if you were able to find the ingredients they used you could get the msds on the ingredients. You can even go to a site called "perfumers apprentice" and see them for yourself. All of the flavors have a different chemical makeup and when these combine they can even create other chemicals.
The site has done a good job documenting the ones they are aware of.
Some of the flavors, like citrus oils and vanillas also contain chemicals which can be harmful like acetyl propenol, or diacetyl.
Check the site out, i hope you figure it out and would be interested to hear what you learn.
Just to add, i would check with your/a doctor before continuing to try the 100% pg, just in case...and out of curiousity, there are many products on the market which also contain these ingredients like hand lotions, shampoos and such, do have any allergic reactions with any of those types of products. I realize that inhaling and use as a topical solutiin are different but it could help pinpoint what is causing the reaction.
edit on 17pm312u14 by datguy because: afterthoughts

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: datguy

Not sure where you live but have you tried a google search for vapor or e-cig shops in your area?

Yea, they're all pretty chincy, mainly concentrating on actual tobacco. It may just have to be a online purchase.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Well, if your serious about quitting i suggest looking into simple ego or vision batteries and tanks.
Like you im addicted to nicotine but i dont mind it, im havent ever planned on actually dropping it from my diet, so to speak.
I use an e-liquid with .6% or .3% nicotine, most online distributors offer anywhere from 0% to 2.4%, the store brand are usually 1.8%
Ive have also invested much money in mechanical mods and a variety of atomizers.
As for purchasing e-liquids online there are just too many to choose from, my personal favs are standard and vape dojo...happy hunting and good luck!

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: datguy

The Blu's help a tad keep the edge off. In another thread, I was looking for a certain cigar. They were pretty small and I only puffed on them twice a day. I didn't smoke cigarettes when I had access to them, but they were Cubans, so no dice here in the States.

I still sneak a smoke from time to time, particularity when I'm about to wring some ones neck.
The act of smoking seems to calm me and the Blu doesn't cut it.

I've even thought of buying a good pipe. I priced one yesterday and it was $60.00 flippin dollars! The guy asked if I wanted a screen, and I told him that it was for tobacco, not pot. He looked shocked.

As I type this, I have a Blu dangling out of the corner of my mouth...but now I want a smoke!

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I smoked for 19 years, and I can tell you easily that cigs do not stimulate your brain, unless you just don't know how to do it otherwise.

I feel a hell of a lot better, and have crazy unending energy, no matter WHAT you believe, cigs control much of your life.

Vaping seems a tad better, but why do it at all???

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO
a reply to: rickymouse

Vaping seems a tad better, but why do it at all???

Because we are slaves to nicotine and smoking real tobacco is a real pain these days and makes you smell like an ashtray.

I want to give up but its far easier to say than to do, the e-cig is a happy medium. Its also FAR cheaper and the tax man gets nothing.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Congratulations!

I've been a smoker since 1988 and since I started using an Ecig I haven't had a cigarette since August 24th 2013 (Yes I remember the date)

I used have a bad smokers cough and wheezy chest but all that's disappeared. i do backing vocals in a rock band and sometimes I'd burst into a fit of coughing during certain songs when it required a longer vocal arrangement.. Now I could sing 'Lovely day' by Bill Withers all day long!

Here's how I gave up:

i bought a cheap clearomizer and battery and coughed a few times on it (it does take getting used to) and some 'tobacco' flavoured ejuice (which wasn't very nice) and used it occasionally whilst still smoking..

Then I'd alternate it gradually (cigarette in the morning, ecig during the day, cigarettes in the evening).. Eventually leaving tobacco at home and using the Ecig permanently.. It got to the point (after about 2 weeks) when I literally binned all the ashtrays and lighters (apart from one which I now use to rebuild my coils using Kanthal wire!)..

It is the best thing I've ever done.. I feel cleaner.. I hate the smell of tobacco.. I've saved money.. My cough has disappeared.. I might live a bit longer..

I now use a Kangertech Protank with Vision spinner battery and it's brilliant (apart from a few jokes from my friends who still smoke) AND I still get the 'But you don't know what's in them do you?'.. Yes I do and it's far safer than smoking the crap that's in cigarettes.. My favourite juice is called 'Red Astair' www.t-juice.com...

Seriously though keep it up and well done!

And for those people who still say they are still dangerous.. Read this..

www.huffingtonpost.com...

edit on 18-8-2014 by MrKipling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Congratulations to you!

I have done the same thing. I had little to no hope of quitting smoking, but my lungs and breathing got into such a bad way that I was ready to try anything...And many of the people on ATS use the ecig, so I decided to give it a try, since many swear by it.

So I started on the ecig too.. and as of right now, it has been 48 hours since I have had a cigarette! I'm doing better with this than any other method of quitting! I don't really want a cigarette, every time I want one I just use the ecig and that's it! No more desire for a cig!

I know its only been 48 hours since I have had a cigarette, but last night when I laid down to go to sleep the wheezing in my chest was so so so much quieter! Very awesome!

Maybe someday I'll be able to breathe again!
(So totally thanks to all the people who talked about using the ecig on ATS occasionally!)

Good luck to you on your journey, hopefully it will work out for all of us!
edit on 18-8-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   

lol @ the pipe story!

I bought Nenothtu a nice tobacco pipe for Christmas, and it was so funny because I made the purchase, wrapped the present (along with pipe tobacco etc that went with it) and when he opened it up and looked at it he laughed..

he said, this has a screen in it! They set it up for smoking pot.. where did you get this, a head shop? I'm like well... yeah... they were the ones selling pipes..

He laughed at me...
I didn't know they smoked drugs out of sherlock holmes style pipes for goodness sake!
edit on 18-8-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

I priced pipe tobacco as well when I looked at the pipes. Tins of tobacco were priced $12.00 to $30+ dollars and they were about the size of a sardine can! The salesman didn't even know how to open them (even though the directions were printed on the tin...(I wanted to put LOL there, but still find myself doing the SMH thing).

One of the more pricier tins smelled like a chemical aisle at a hardware store! That alone may get ya to stop smoking.

48 hours! Keeping going and it's ok to feel bad if ya slip. I still do...and yes, I feel guilty about it. But I think of the lives saved.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join