It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True Reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I know this subject has probably been covered before but I figured I would add my own thoughts. It has always amazed me the transformation many go through when about to die. I work in a hospital and I have seen it time and time again where terminally ill patients seem to be “communicating” with those passed. I have seen the blank stares and smiles as patients seem to try and talk to those not present. I had the experience of a grandmother, by marriage, talk to a relative that she had no idea had passed. It’s strange how so many of these people seem to have “last-minute” improvements or a calming right before they pass. I have seen people, who were unconscious for days and on high doses of morphine, to keep them comfortable, awake to essentially say goodbye. It is almost as if they have a foot in both worlds, and can communicate in both. It is like they are disconnected from reality and can thus see the “true” world. I have seen this same behavior in those with Alzheimer’s and other diseases that affect the mind. It is like the mind acts like some sort of governor, or restrictor, and keeps us in this “reality” but when it is compromised we are free to experience so much more. Of course, this could just be a result of the body/mind dying, or being damaged, but it seems to me that there is so much more here. It would be interesting to hear experiences others have had, as this seems so common.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I totally see where you're coming from. This is something I believe also. It's as if the mind is the smoke screen, covering the real beauty.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
What if it is the drugs such as morphine? I mean, if what you are saying is true, then it's great. But what if it is the drugs, or the "life flashing before your eyes" pheonomenon? They could be reliving past conversations, you know? I really hope that what you say is true, because it would give me something to look forward to right before I die.

-Chris

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
You may be interested

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Grab a copy of The Tibetan Book of the Dead and Aldous Huxley's The Doors of Perception.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Legend,

If the following is true:

Originally posted by skychief I had the experience of a grandmother, by marriage, talk to a relative that she had no idea had passed.

Then it doesn't have anything to do with any drugs.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legend
What if it is the drugs such as morphine? I mean, if what you are saying is true, then it's great. But what if it is the drugs, or the "life flashing before your eyes" pheonomenon? They could be reliving past conversations, you know? I really hope that what you say is true, because it would give me something to look forward to right before I die.

-Chris

You are right Legend, it could be the drugs which is what makes this hard to believe. I want to believe it's not but you can't rule it out. This is just so common that I want to think there is something more playing here.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Legend,

If the following is true:

Originally posted by skychief I had the experience of a grandmother, by marriage, talk to a relative that she had no idea had passed.

Then it doesn't have anything to do with any drugs.

Bandit, it’s most definitely true as I was there but it doesn’t mean that it is supernatural. She hadn’t seen her sister in years because many miles separated them and they were both in their 90’s. She could have just been dwelling on past memories in her deteriorating state. I always hear people in this state talk about horses which makes me believe that they are having memories resurface from many years passed. Now, I don’t want to debunk my original post but I do want to be skeptical and try and rule out other possibilities.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
mind was not meant to be active

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
well, the "predeath improvement" is a natural phenomenon, principally derived from a burst of endorphines in the brain... but for this burst to channel into recovery of consciousness and the ability to say goodbye needs an stress-free ambient, whish speaks very well of the hospital where you work (I'm a medicine student, if you wanna know)...

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
"mind acts like some sort of governor, or restrictor, and keeps us in this “reality” but when it is compromised we are free to experience"

I'd like to comment on the above.
I agree with that, and I have seen alot of the things you discribed in your post too. But there are other ways to get that freedom as well. How to go about 'getting it', no idea. But for myself - I am very much 'undamaged', very much the idea of wife, mom, christian, woman, etc, etc. But there is something that makes me very different (other than those experiences).

I am one person with opposite ends of the spectrem all at once. Say a person was to ask you to choose between two words that discribe yourself. let me just give one example. Emotion or logic. I am both - everything at both ends of the spectrum. As if where the two oposite ends meet is where I am. (sorry - the husband is in the room - I'll have to 'really talk' at another time)

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS
I am one person with opposite ends of the spectrem all at once. Say a person was to ask you to choose between two words that discribe yourself. let me just give one example. Emotion or logic. I am both - everything at both ends of the spectrum. As if where the two oposite ends meet is where I am. (sorry - the husband is in the room - I'll have to 'really talk' at another time)

I have to say that I'm right there with you Angela. Maybe that's why we are here on this site. I have always consideered myself a reasonable person and tried to use logic when forming a theory to try and solve a problem or mystery. The problem is that some of these "mysteries" defy all reason.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by skychief

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS

I have to say that I'm right there with you Angela. Maybe that's why we are here on this site. I have always consideered myself a reasonable person and tried to use logic when forming a theory to try and solve a problem or mystery. The problem is that some of these "mysteries" defy all reason.

I've only just learned to stop asking 'why' and work on being more aware of 'what'. That's hard, very hard to do.
I had explained this, what I said above, to a man once. He was a sence'(sp) who'd asked me why I thought I was capable of things I hadn't been trained to do (mental work). I told him that instead of a line with opposite ends (black/white), that I was a person who seemed to have no tollorance for the grey inbetween, but that instead, it was as if that 'line' was really more a circle for me, that I was where the black and white met together.
He understood completely what I was talking about and started talking about things I had no training in and didn't understand.

new topics

join