It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Worst Right-Wing Moments This Week: Limbaugh Set to Drown in Own Toxic Spewage

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

but they didnt mean them
it was just a joke
just like robin williams would have wanted

its you and the other leftists who are the problem here
trying to shut us up and keep us down when were only telling jokes to honor his memory

.....lol

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: SlapMonkey

That source is generally the LAST ONE I look at - to see what slant they have taken.

I check the "regular" MSM news (covering all the bases) first, then I go to the alternative sites to cross-reference how things are being approached.

That's a good thing--that you check the alternative sites and do cross-referencing. I do the same thing, basically starting with Fox and MSNBC, then move on to others and see where the real story lies.

Now Limbaugh and his ilk? YES - those are partisan hit pieces, ALL OF THE TIME.

I know the difference. Do you?

Actually, I used to subscribe to the liberalized hyperbole that Limbaugh is an anger-driven ideologue that says nothing of fact--until I actually forced myself to listen to him. I don't agree with him much of the time when it comes to his opinions, but I find it hard to take things that he presents as fact and then to prove that they're wrong. Most of the time, he gets the facts right, it's just his opinionated conclusion at the end of the facts that often doesn't harmonize with me. So, you say his and his ilk's comments are always partisan hit pieces, but they're not--especially not all of the time. You're making a generalization that cuts you off to things that could be the truth; your apparent ideology and inability to accept things at face value with these guys just perpetuates the problem that you are railing against.

Do you think Limbaugh and Shep Smith (both of whom tried to back-pedal the next day) should be called out for such things or not? They DID say those things.

I actually was listening to the original broadcase, as it aired, when he made the comments in your OP, and quite honestly, I can't fault or support him for that particular statement because I'm no psychologist or psychiatrist and I don't know the extent of or even existence of a generalized depressive state amongst some/many/most liberal people. I'm assuming that you cannot intelligently dispute that with facts, either? If so, I'd love to read it so that I'm better educated on the subject as well.

But, if you can't, then posting an obviously biased blog page calling him out for something that could possibly be true isn't exactly persuasive against the argument he makes--it's just trying to put out the fire with gasoline. So, yes, by all means, call out these guys when they say something ignorant, but support your claim that it's ignorant with facts that prove it, otherwise calling out people just because you might not approve of or agree with what they say is just more of the same.
edit on 19-8-2014 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I'm assuming that you cannot intelligently dispute that with facts, either? If so, I'd love to read it so that I'm better educated on the subject as well.

Assuming is not appropriate.

Actually, yes, I am capable of - and qualified to engage in - intelligent discussion of the subject. More liberals tend toward anxiety and depression. Moderates less so, and conservatives the least. It has to do with brain wiring.

For your better awareness:
Anxiety, Depression, and Goal-Seeking in Conservatives, Liberals, and Moderates
A piece of research from 2005.

Knock yourself out.
Now - back to the insensitivity and exploitation of the remarks about Robin Williams immediately following news of his death.

Those men (as someone above suggested) were NOT JOKING. No - they were not.
Interestingly, it seems that comics are more likely to be liberals also - perhaps it's an inbuilt way of dealing with their anxiety and depressive tendencies. I don't see any right-wing comedians, and if it came to listening to "facts" from political analysts, I'd MUCH SOONER watch Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, John Oliver, and Russell Brand than listen to blowhards like Beck and Limbaugh - any minute of any day.

At least they (Stewart, et al) help me to feel sane. The latter two just make my blood boil to the point of throwing up in my mouth a little anytime I see or hear clips of them ranting. So - of those pundits mentioned, if you were with them at a dinner party, who would YOU rather sit next to?

edit on 8/19/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Also, this newer study may interest you as well:

How Voters Become Misinformed: An Investigation of the Emergence and Consequences of False Factual Beliefs*

from Social Science Quarterly

Here's an article about it, titled:
False facts and the conservative distortion machine: It’s much more than just Fox News

It's rather technical and has lots of jargon - but basically discusses how "misinformation" gets disseminated and affects people's voting and ideas.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Hell, I've seen and read studies, too--I meant that I hold no degree nor do I work in the fields of psychology or psychiatry, so I didn't feel qualified to comment on the veracity of his statement. My assumption is that you also do not work in either one of those fields, not that you can't find studies and relay the information.

I also find that study important because, if you look at section two, that explains a LOT concerning conservatives' view on reaping what you sow, whereas there is a palatable feeling in many liberal circles that everyone should get a participation trophy because, you know, they tried.

As for insensitivity, that's different than what I was talking about--I have been talking about the relaying of factual information. But, that's why I'm not in the business of public opinion, as I abhor political correctness, which is what your complaint of insensitivity amounts to. You feel they weren't being politically correct in remarking about something so soon after--I would agree, but I also don't think that it's their duty to worry about insensitivity. Those overly focused on the worry about being in sensitive will never relay their true opinions or tell the whole story. I vote for insensitivity in that instance over an overabundance of caution--their jobs are discussing facts on air, not exercising empathy.

Stewart, Colbert and Oliver make me chuckle, even if their wrong much of the time in their assessments of causes/effects of situations. Brand would just piss me off because, while seemingly smart, he doesn't come across as intelligent at all, and if he is, he is wasting it. Of all three I'd munch food with, I'd probably go with either Oliver or Colbert. While all three are blatantly liberal, Colbert has always made me laught, but Oliver seems to put a lot more true thought into the segments of his show. I can enjoy hanging out with a deep thinker, even if we disagree politically.

I can't stand Beck--I'm atheist, so there's obvious reasons for that--and Limbaugh would be okay, but he's so deaf that I'd tire of yelling to him all night.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

From the Salon.com link:

“'Political debate and policymaking are hard enough, but if people from opposing ideological camps come in with their own sets of facts, that makes it really tough to have a vibrant debate that leads to good public policy,' Reedy said."

I see this as the major result of America's main problem: Apathy. I can't, for the life of me, understand the laziness of people in America concerning finding factual information. With video and audio easily accessible, with actual bills and laws accessible in writing, etc, there's zero excuse for the amount of ignorance or perceived knowledge of facts if they are incorrect facts. That is why I do in-depth research on things and people before I vote. That's why I couldn't vote R or D last presidential election...

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I see this as the major result of America's main problem: Apathy. I can't, for the life of me, understand the laziness of people in America concerning finding factual information. With video and audio easily accessible, with actual bills and laws accessible in writing, etc, there's zero excuse for the amount of ignorance or perceived knowledge of facts if they are incorrect facts.

Yep. Precisely. Exactly.
Thanks.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

My assumption is that you also do not work in either one of those fields, not that you can't find studies and relay the information.

And, your assumption is mistaken.

I DO work in one of those fields.
Since August 2002; that's when I got my credentials.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I have been in and OUT of the "system" of mental health in Colorado and YOU ALL come off like you have NO idea what you are doing. I cannot perform 7th grade mathematic functions.In over 54 years on the planet,no one knows why. 2 that saw me in the passed committed suicide.
THEN some EPIC genius starts asking us as vets about GUNS on intake questionaires negating treatment over SAFETY,yet the academic professional cannot IMAGINE why.

It's because LIFE SUCKS. and all the sugar coated PC perfume can't make feces sweet.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Well, I've never been accused of having never made an ass of myself before...why start now?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join