It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom of Speech a debate.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Hello again!

So first things first, people take note : This thread isn't about the policy of ATS regarding freedom of speech. So please do not use this thread to vent some personal frustration about how S.O manages his site.

What is this thread about? Freedom of speech obviously.
There is currently a thread in the boards question section which sparked my interest because of the many interpretations regarding freedom of speech.

So it raised a few questions :
Since when does freedom of speech imply that you have to be an American to enjoy this right and or privilege.
I have seen a few members here linking it directly to the constitution which means absolutely nothing for us none Americans,still I to have the right to say what I want, and more importantly when I want.

This is a follow up on my first question but is the term "freedom of speech" geographical locked to America? This is for my American friends, when you hear the phrase freedom of speech do you feel this is a right given to you by your amendments/constitution.

Now, the most important question
Does your right automatically turn into a privilege because you are accessing a privately owned website/content?
And if so, why? A privately owned company can enforce their own rules. But can they deny you your right?

Apart from kicking you out sort to speak, what legal basis does a privately owned company have?
I'm sure my questions will follow.

I'm very interested in reading what you guys think.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: MessageforAll

Are you looking for responses from a United States-centric perspective? Freedom of speech laws and enforcement vary and the ability of private companies to curtail speech are based in various interpretations of those localized laws.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Freedom of speech. The simple way.

Their site, their rules.

My house, my rules.

Now you could always use freedom of speech to say whatever you wish to your heart's content in my house, till I decide to kick you out the door, which is also my right

Simple, really.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Well I think that depends, you were talking geographically.........

Take North Korea for instance........

I can say what I want about Kim here in the US and most parts of the world........

If I did that there in NK, id be looking at death or a work camp.....

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Does your right automatically turn into a privilege because you are accessing a privately owned website/content?

When you agree to give it up, it sure does
T&C's clearly state you do not have the right to say what you want, when you want on the forum and you agreed to them.
End of story
edit on thSat, 16 Aug 2014 14:43:39 -0500America/Chicago820143980 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

And if so, why? A privately owned company can enforce their own rules. But can they deny you your right?

Its their site, they can do as they please, but if they want people to continue posting (which is what earns them money) then they have to be fare about it.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Freedom of speech requires respect. The respect of both parties. There is a difference between hearing and listening.

When I know I'm past the point of reason, lets be honest I scream it. I scream, I can't hear you right now. That's my responsibility to know it and the listeners responsibility to respect it.

It becomes an issue today when so many people get stuck in their bubble that they only want to hear their own side and therefore have never matured enough to learn to accept they too make mistakes.

Freedom of Speech in this case becomes a scapegoat. While I'm all for freedom of speech this to me is an issue of respect.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Exactly!!!

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: VoidHawk

Its their site, they can do as they please, but if they want people to continue posting (which is what earns them money) then they have to be fare about it.

Oh yeah. That's working out. We're dealing with ISIS. Constitutional and ethical boundaries being pillaged, hell, Robin Williams died this week and what's the #1 topic the last few days? Whining that ATS can't be your personal utopia. That's what brings in the "money"? The owners of ATS are far more lenient than any I've come across. I personally wouldn't have allowed a few complainers to muddy up the board this long. This is JMO.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask
Kind of like saying the Holocaust never happened and being put in Jail like in Germany. (Free speech, not a claim, so relax)
I am 100% for Free Speech and Free to post what you want, but like Sonofthesun said "Their site, their rules. "

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
This is a forum. Its meant to discuss. Muddy up the forum?! This makes no sense. So I'm glad on a forum that understands what its meant to be.

a reply to: intrepid

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
...but like Sonofthesun said "Their site, their rules. "

....which EVERYONE agrees to upon posting. Some seem to forget that last part.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I chose a monitored site with rules on purpose.

If that's not what you want - - there are other sites.

Who are you exactly, that you think its your job to "rule the rulers"?

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: SonoftheSun Their site, their rules.

exactly. if i think the rules are too oppressive i can opt to leave the site. or i can work within them and stick around.

it's a choice.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
You have a right to say whatever you wish as long as it doesn't violate the sites T & C that you agreed to.

I psychologically extend the same rights to whomever I'm debating, arguing with online that I give to myself.

Being an American or not.

It should be an inalienable human right.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Which others? List them please

a reply to: Annee

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish

Could probably google them just saying.......

Look up alternative news

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
The owners of ATS are far more lenient than any I've come across. I personally wouldn't have allowed a few complainers to muddy up the board this long. This is JMO

I fail to see why suggesting fairness should deserve such a response?

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I could but, word of mouth has always been and will always be better than Google.

ETA: I found ATS this way too.

a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

edit on 16-8-2014 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

originally posted by: Iamthatbish

Could probably google them just saying.......

Look up alternative news

Thanks!

I mean seriously, not my job . . .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join