It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boycotting Israel: BDS movement reaches tipping point

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

www.israellawresourcecenter.org...

is this good enough for you...?

1. ILLEGAL ACQUISITION OF LAND BY FORCE: Israel annexes land occupied by force during 1948 war (lands external to those given by the UN partition plan) (laws & principles violated, international response). 2. FORBIDDING CIVILIANS THE RIGHT TO RETURN TO THEIR HOMES FOLLOWING THE END OF ARMED CONFLICT: Israeli government enacts laws, and employs its military to keep aproximately 750,000 Palestinian Arab civilians from returning to their homes following the end of fighting both in 1948 and in the occupied territories in 1967. Israel then violates UN resolutions ordering them to respect Palestinian's right to return to their homes (laws & principles violated, international response). 3. ILLEGAL POPULATION TRANSFER: Israel settles Israeli citizens in hundreds of Israeli settlements on occupied land not originally given to them in the UN Partition Plan (laws & principles violated, international response). 5. DESTRUCTION OF HOLY PLACES, AND INTERFERING WITH MINISTERS OF RELIGION PERFORMING THEIR RELIGIOUS DUTIES: Israeli forces have destroyed Muslim holy places, and interfered with the religious work of Muslim Imams (ministers) (laws & principles violated, international response). 7. ILLEGAL PRACTICE OF COLLECTIVE PUNISHMENT: Israel repeatedly practices collective punishment against Palestinian acts of rebellion wherein an entire community is punished for the actions of a few (laws & principles violated, international response).

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

It is a simple question - please state the "international law" that they have broken - you know, give a actual reference to the "international law"...

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

It is a simple question - please state the "international law" that they have broken - you know, give a actual reference to the "international law"...

really ?

Israeli Violations of International Law - (12) GENOCIDE: Although numbers of massacres have been historically documented, evidence suggests that the overall intention of the State of Israel and the Zionist organizations which created Israel was to drive the non-Jewish people out of the area rather than to destroy them as is required by the definition of Genocide.

Making Genocide a crime was first suggested by the international legal scholar and diplomat, Raphael Lemkin, in 1933. Its first legal usage was against the Nazis in the Nuremburg trials in 1945 following World War II. The decision to develop an international convention to help codify and direct prevention and punishment of the crime of Genocide was made by the UN General Assembly in 1946 in Resolution 260A(III). The result was the International Convention for the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, implemented in 1948. Political wrangling and resistance narrowed the definition of Genocide during the development of this Convention so that it excluded both destruction of political groups for political gain, and destruction of a group culturally (through absorption into the oppressing group for example). Thus some sought to escape prosecution or being labeled as perpetrators of Genocide by saying that the slaughter happened purely for political reasons, but experts and officials have ruled that this reasoning is not an escape from responsibility because just because there is an intense political struggle going on at the time (such as a civil war), this does not make the acts of Genocide unavoidable, or excuseable.

The crime of Genocide has also been determined to be a grave breach of the Geneva Conventions IV of 1949 (art. 147), and in Article 85 of the Geneva Conventions (Protocol I) of 1977. And most important, the International Court of Justice in a 1951 ruling, declared that the International Convention for the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide was customary international law, and thus did not apply only to its signatories, but to all countries and legal entities of the world - period.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I would stop wasting your time. He'll only spin any and all sources you give him. This is what he does and many pro Israeli folks do.

Remember, you're anti Semitic and a Hamas supporter if you ever criticize Israel and god forbid you suggest they ever be held accountable for any of their actions. Remember, it's always Hamas' fault. Hamas makes Israel level entire city blocks and murder innocent civilians. And this type of behavior runs from the very top of the Israeli leadership down to Israeli supporters who haven't ever stepped foot into Israel.

You can't win with those folks and there is zero point trying to have a conversation with them about these kinds of topics. Just ignore and move on.
edit on 17-8-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

So again, no one is able to list the actual "international law" they claim Israel has broken.... funny that!

Israel's blockade of Gaza is collective punishment which is against international law.

Collective punishments Article 33. No persons may be punished for an offense he or she has not personally committed. Collective penalties and likewise all measures of intimidation or of terrorism are prohibited. Pillage is prohibited. Reprisals against persons and their property are prohibited.

Israel's annexing of land through military force is also against international law.

Section III. Occupied territories Articles 47-78 impose substantial obligations on occupying powers. As well as numerous provisions for the general welfare of the inhabitants of an occupied territory, an occupier may not forcibly deport protected persons, or deport or transfer parts of its own civilian population into occupied territory (Art.49).

Fourth Geneva Convention
edit on 17-8-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
english.ahram.org.eg...

As Palestinians and Israelis struggle to agree on a ceasefire in Cairo, international horror at Israel's savage military assault on the civilians of Gaza is growing.

With the reality of life for Palestinians broadcast to a global audience, the BDS (Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions) movement is hoping to build on the momentum to gain broader support.

BDS supporters believe that the key to ending Israel's aggression against Palestine is through boycotting Israel, to pressure the state into complying with all relevant international laws.

The movement, which draws on the example of the international struggle against apartheid in South Africa, has grown more than ever since the Israeli assault on Gaza, pressuring large corporations to end their complicity with Israel’s crimes and leading academic groups and big names such as Hollywood stars to endorse the movement.

Boycotting Israel is not a new story but as Israel's assault on Gaza continues a boycott could become a reality. Would a boycott work and pressure Israel to obey international law? The answer is yes, much like economic sanctions have worked. When you start messing with peoples ability to make money change can and will happen.

I am actually scared for my children what Israel might do if it feels it has all but lost the propaganda war. False flags are what nearly all conflicts are started from. It is not far fetched at all to assume that if Israel feels that the world is not supporting their attack against Islam, then they will do something to garnish our support. I already suspect that Israel is somehow behind Hamas or at least enabling them, and ISIS seems to be helping Israels need for western support. If that isn't enough then what is next?

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
As I have said before and will do again. Not going to happen. The US and China are Israels biggest trading partners. Russia, India, France, and the UK all have defense tech buisness with Israel. And as we all know the Arab states need a strong Israel as a counter to Iran. On top of all that even Mercosur who condemed Israels actions still keeps its free trade agreement with Israel (the only Free Trade Agreement they have outside of South/Central America) open and trade flowing.

A good part of this is because Israel is just to important to a wide variery of nations inlcuding the worlds greatest powers. The second part of this is that things are not all black and white. Sure you can condem Israel or you can condem Hamas and back it up with lots of facts. Of course if you are able to then also place yourself in the position of with either side you also justify their actions.

The great failure in all this is the simple minds who this situation as black and white. That one side is right and the other wrong. It is that type of thinking that continues the conflcit and makes sure it will never end.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
New members here, long time lurker. Wanted to say I just bought a new laptop, Toshiba with an AMD processor, doin my part.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow
Israel made the first move.

funny how you ignore the thousands of missiles launched by Hamas terrorists for years at Israel.... why do you ignore them?
en.wikipedia.org...

Oh man… I don't even know…. you just… you know….. did your brain fall out?

2nd
edit on 17/8/14 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deege
New members here, long time lurker. Wanted to say I just bought a new laptop, Toshiba with an AMD processor, doin my part.

I think the OP wants you to boycott companies like AMD and Toshiba who do buisness in Israel not support them.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: shapur

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

It's common knowledge. But just for you I'll add this link which I am quite positive you re not interested in reading.

Israeli war crimes

If you had actually read it you would have seen "war crime allegations" - so just allegations!

So again, no one is able to list the actual "international law" they claim Israel has broken.... funny that!
I guess killing innocent woman and children and bombing the hell out of their homes every once in a while is a humanitarian act then!...If this is not breaking the international laws then either the laws have serious flaws or the nations are all insane.

so...firing rockets into Israel by hamas, that's ok by international law? guess so...maybe you would let hamas fire rockets into your city, you know, just to show how committed you are.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
let's see...muslim killing muslim in Libya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen, Somalia...all good...but Israel defending itself from rocket fire from hamas?....hey that's a different story...

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

It's common knowledge. But just for you I'll add this link which I am quite positive you re not interested in reading.

Israeli war crimes

If you had actually read it you would have seen "war crime allegations" - so just allegations!

I guess killing innocent woman and children and bombing the hell out of their homes every once in a while is a humanitarian act then!...If this is not breaking the international laws then either the laws have serious flaws or the nations are all insane.

so...firing rockets into Israel by hamas, that's ok by international law? guess so...maybe you would let hamas fire rockets into your city, you know, just to show how committed you are.

Actually it is ok by international law. The people of an occupied land has the fight to fight back against their occupiers.
Legally, Palestine is an occupied country with a right to resist; Israel is the occupier…

To quote United Nations General Assembly Resolution A/RES/33/24 of 29 November 1978:
“2. Reaffirms the legitimacy of the struggle of peoples for independence, territorial integrity, national unity and liberation from colonial and foreign domination and foreign occupation by all available means, particularly armed struggle;”
(3) This justification for legitimate armed resistance has been specifically applied to the Palestinian struggle repeatedly. To quote General Assembly Resolution A/RES/3246 (XXIX) of 29 November 1974:
3. Reaffirms the legitimacy of the peoples’ struggle for liberation form colonial and foreign domination and alien subjugation by all available means, including armed struggle; …
7. Strongly condemns all Governments which do not recognize the right to self-determination and independence of peoples under colonial and foreign domination and alien subjugation, notably the peoples of Africa and the Palestinian people; (4)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

let's see...muslim killing muslim in Libya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen, Somalia...all good...but Israel defending itself from rocket fire from hamas?....hey that's a different story...

Yes it is a different story. Libya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen, Somalia are all one nations people fighting against each other Israel and Palestine are two different nations.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Israeli war crimes

Actually it is ok by international law. The people of an occupied land has the fight to fight back against their occupiers.
Legally, Palestine is an occupied country with a right to resist; Israel is the occupier…

To quote United Nations General Assembly Resolution A/RES/33/24 of 29 November 1978:
“2. Reaffirms the legitimacy of the struggle of peoples for independence, territorial integrity, national unity and liberation from colonial and foreign domination and foreign occupation by all available means, particularly armed struggle;”
(3) This justification for legitimate armed resistance has been specifically applied to the Palestinian struggle repeatedly. To quote General Assembly Resolution A/RES/3246 (XXIX) of 29 November 1974:
3. Reaffirms the legitimacy of the peoples’ struggle for liberation form colonial and foreign domination and alien subjugation by all available means, including armed struggle; …
7. Strongly condemns all Governments which do not recognize the right to self-determination and independence of peoples under colonial and foreign domination and alien subjugation, notably the peoples of Africa and the Palestinian people; (4)

Palestine is not a country, never was a country, and Israel has not maintained a presence in Gaza since 2005...

In 1994, Israel granted the right of self-governance to Gaza through the Palestinian Authority. Prior to this, Gaza had been subject to military occupation, most recently by Israel (1967–94) and by Egypt (1948–67) (see Occupation of the Gaza Strip by Egypt), and earlier by Great Britain (1918–48) and Turkey when Gaza had been part of the Ottoman Empire.

In February 2005, the Knesset approved a unilateral disengagement plan to implement the Oslo Agreement and began removing Israeli settlers from the Gaza Strip in 2005. All Israeli settlements in the Gaza Strip and the joint Israeli-Palestinian Erez Industrial Zone were dismantled, and 9,000 Israelis, most living in Gush Katif, were forcibly evicted.
On 12 September 2005, the Israeli cabinet formally declared an end to Israeli military occupation of the Gaza Strip.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad

originally posted by: Deege

I think the OP wants you to boycott companies like AMD and Toshiba who do buisness in Israel not support them.

I think most of the consumer related boycotting is related to goods produced in Israel rather than just companies that do business in Israel. Deege is probably trying to avoid an Intel based computer since Intel produces CPUs in Israel...
But if people were really dedicated they should just boycott the internet altogether since many servers that power your favorite websites are running on Intel CPUs - better safe than sorry...

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: CommandoJoe

Palestine is not a country, never was a country, and Israel has not maintained a presence in Gaza since 2005...

Palestine is a country and is recognized by the UN as a country and has observer state status. Also it looks like Israeli propaganda 101 forgot that Gaza is part of Palestine and the West Bank which shares a unity government with Gaza is occupied. Also the blockade against Gaza is collective punishment.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

buster....what you quoted sounds like they called for the elimination of the country of Israel, and to turn it over to the Palestinians...I didn't realize the UN had that power, and I would like to see where, under it's charter, it has the power to make that determination.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
You are correct sir, I feel everyone can make a difference. I try to avoid any corp that does business or supports Israel. Choose Pepsi over Coke, Toshiba over HP, AMD over Intel, it's easy and fun.a reply to: CommandoJoe

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
a reply to: CommandoJoe

Palestine is a country and is recognized by the UN as a country and has observer state status. Also it looks like Israeli propaganda 101 forgot that Gaza is part of Palestine and the West Bank which shares a unity government with Gaza is occupied. Also the blockade against Gaza is collective punishment.

Despite the super-majority of United Nations members approving United Nations General Assembly resolution 67/19 on November 29, 2012, giving Palestine non-member state observer status, Palestine is not yet eligible to join the United Nations as an independent country.

While dozens of countries recognize Palestine as independent, it has not yet attained full independent status, despite the UN resolution. If the UN resolution had allowed Palestine to join the United Nations as a full member state, it would have immediately been recognized as an independent country.

Thus, Palestine (nor the Gaza Strip nor the West Bank) is not yet an independent country. The two parts of "Palestine" are entities that, in the eyes of the international community, have yet to obtain full have international recognition.

Your quote contains "legitimate armed resistance" - I don't call it legitimate since terrorists are randomly targeting the civilian population of Israel, but the "armed resistance" is coming from Gaza which is not occupied. Since the West Bank is not launching missiles into Israel, I'd say they are not much of a unity government... Where's the condemnation of Egypt for helping to maintain this blockade? If Hamas wasn't regularly attacking Israel from Gaza, the restrictions on Gaza would be much less. If Hamas hadn't violently ejected Fatah and the PA, the restrictions would never have been increased.

I'm sure most people don't realize this isn't the first time there was a "unity government".

In March 2007, the Palestinian Legislative Council established a national unity government, with 83 representatives voting in favor and three against. Government ministers were sworn in by Mahmoud Abbas, the chairman on the Palestinian Authority, in a ceremony held simultaneously in Gaza and Ramallah.

And surprise surprise, Hamas is the reason it failed back then - didn't even last 3 months.

The Battle of Gaza, also referred to as Hamas' takeover of Gaza was a short military conflict between Fatah and Hamas, that took place in the Gaza Strip between 10 and 15 June 2007. It was a climax in the Fatah–Hamas conflict, centered around the struggle for power, after Fatah lost the parliamentary elections of 2006. Hamas fighters took control of the Gaza Strip[3] and removed Fatah officials. The battle resulted in the dissolution of the unity government and the de facto division of the Palestinian territories into two entities, the West Bank governed by the Palestinian National Authority, and Gaza governed by Hamas.

edit on 17-8-2014 by CommandoJoe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join