It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Purge" ...Louisville KY real life version - Friday Aug 15 2014 8pm to 6:30am

page: 19
<< 16  17  18   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Agreed! And maybe, instead of people being upset that this has received a lot of attention they should look at it as how much influence kids these days have and how much powerful social media is. Apparently, for a joke, a lot of people heard about it in a short time frame.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutOmatIc
Pretty sure we can toss this one into the hoax bin by now...also those who doubted me, never doubt me again muhuhahaha!

a reply to: StealthyKat

Hmm, considering you thought the entire scanner was on a loop and fake, I think I'll still doubt you.
Police took a lot of calls last night, and some guy raped a cat.
The scanners referenced "The Purge" a lot last night, obviously nobody here thought that it was actually legal to do whatever like in the purge, but some dumb kids in town could have EASILY thought that considering how much the idea of it was spread around.
Anything that happened on the scanner was real, and people DID react to the posters and fliers.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Here's some updated news...

www.wkyt.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Havox

Did they happen to mention if the cat was declawed?

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: The Vagabond

I don't believe so. I actually haven't heard anymore news on it, just when it was said on the scanners. Haven't watched the local news yet though.

Also, there were two murders last night. No way to tell if it was "Purge" related or just Louisville being Louisville (there's quite a bit of crime there)

www.wave3.com...

www.wave3.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Louisville had a 'mini purge' in March!!! Or should I say they practiced the purge...

Back in March Louisville had an incident where a group of kids tried to jump a man on a TARC bus. Well, the man pulled a knive and ended up killing one of the kids. The bus driver, who was later fired, lied and said the man provoked the incident. So a little gang decided to try and destroy the town in retaliation. It only lasted a few hours.....

Grand jury will not indicted man who stabbed teens on TARC bus
www.youtube.com...

Assaults, Vandalism and Violence at Waterfront Park Have Locals Concerned for Their Safety
www.louisville.com...

How Did So Much Violence Happen Saturday in Downtown Louisville?
wfpl.org...

FBI: Middle school gang behind mob violence
www.courier-journal.com...

Violent flash mob of 200 blacks rampages through Louisville
www.youtube.com...

This resulted in the city buying dozens of movable cameras and secretly placing them in 'trouble areas'.

The purge, from what I could tell, was concentrated a couple miles West of downtown in the poorest part of town. All the money spots in town were very quiet.... Sorry, but I couldn't find any sources related to the cameras and how the police were using them.

Looks like the kids are realizing how much power they have when they use social media.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Gossip of the purge happening in Nashville tonight.

I was thrown for a loop when my very non-conspiracy friends mentioned it. Also just read about it on a local FB page.

I will keep everyone updated on unusual shenanigans...

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
So my take aways from this...

When I posted the OP, I titled it in what I felt was clearly a tongue-in-cheek fashion. I chose the forum I did because the news article in the OP specifically hit on the point that this was a Social Media meme that had gone viral.

In doing so it garnered enough of a following and did seemingly cause enough of a scare to local residents which in turn caused various local and federal agencies to be on alert due to perhaps the potential for violence occurring against citizens in the city of Louisville.

That...is what I found the most interesting. The notion that the citizens of this city (as well as other cities that have also had their own versions of this, or will have) actually felt threatened by a Social Media trend that began as a joke/rumor/hoax (call it what you will). Though this thread is rightly in the HOAX! bin based on this particular event it is imho still worthy of discussion and monitoring as it was in this thread.

"The Purge" (movie) was a government allocated annual event whereby all crime had free reign for X amount of hours with no fear of criminal prosecution.

From the article ArchangelOger posted above (bold emphasis added):

"Due to circumstances that have trended nationally in regards to flash mob violence, in light of what occurred this past spring here, we realize that these things can occur in an instance," said Louisville Police Sgt. Phil Russell

This is also one of the main reasons why I posted the thread. "these things can occur in an instance"... You have to wonder at what point in the human thought process does mob mentality take hold? Given the viral nature of this "rumor"...it opens a path to a potential for "who shot first" chain of events.

With the amount of people that were concerned with the actual validity of this event and their own safety (be it by protection from the authorities, or worse protecting oneself/family by whatever means), combined with what is seemingly an endless supply of idiots these days, that have a seeming apparent difficulty separating fan-fiction from reality, that may or may not have minorly or majorly enacted some element of a "purgeesque" act due to a "everybody's doing it mentality" a.k.a. mob mentality potentially on all sides of the spectrum... the actors, the potential victims, and authorities...it's not out of the realm of possibility that something major could have easily occurred...and still could.

Luckily, it doesn't seem that we are that far gone and there are enough sound minded & level headed folks on the planet to reel these situations in before they spiral out of control. That's not to say that future memes of this caliber will not catch on, a simple air of one-upmanship would be all the spark something like this needs.

I apologize to anyone that thought this was an actual scheduled event that was going to leave the city of Louisville in ruins come 6:30am this morning. I would like to also clarify that the Police Scanner app and Broadcastify/Radio Reference sources are legitimate and were not part of this rumor. They were merely used as a method to keep abreast of unfolding events related to "The Purge" Social Media meme that swept the Louisville KY area.

Thank you all for your participation I appreciate each and everyone of you!

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
well, it certainly grabbed a lot of attention. i was interested too. thanks. don't beat yourself up

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

Not beat-up at all...I was jumped in by the ATS gang many moons ago so my shell is solid.

Nevertheless, I simply wanted to give some clarification and overall feedback. I for one was thoroughly entertained last night. Some of the scanner traffic was comical but the members posting in this thread about said traffic was a comedy show. And of course the serious parts were great too...

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: The Vagabond
I certainly HOPE kitties claws were intact and thoroughly SHREDDED Mr. Pussy Plunderer........ I think it was a prank call though.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I was interested as well and I only read the comments or links. So ty.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18   >>

join