It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine crisis: BBC finds Russian aid trucks 'almost empty'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

A convoy of Russian trucks carrying aid for eastern Ukraine has been opened up to journalists at the border.

The Ukrainian government had insisted that inspectors checked the trucks' cargo, amid fears that they could be carrying military supplies for the rebels - an accusation Russia has rejected.

The BBC's Steve Rosenberg noted that many of the trucks were "almost empty".

When given a tour of the Russian aid convoy that was having trouble getting into Ukraine earlier this month, camera crews including the BBC found the trucks to be either completely empty or have small amounts (as in only a few boxes) of aid materials in them.

It is suspected that the aid operation was a chance to covertly supply separatists with military materials. The BBC reports.

Link to BBC

This next video shows the aid convoy heading south into Ukraine, before it was inspected.

Meanwhile, the RT reports as well.

A Russian convoy to deliver humanitarian aid has reached the Ukrainian border. Some western journalists were given the opportunity to monitor its progress, as well as being allowed to see what they were carrying.

The Ukrainian government had been adamant that this was little more than a 'Trojan Horse' being used to transport Russian military hardware to anti-government troops in the east of the country. Trucks 'inspection' showed they were carrying quiet a different load.

Western media inspect Russia's Ukraine aid trucks and find... aid - RT

Here we have a news story that has been reported by both the RT and the BBC - but did the RT take a picture of one of the few trucks that happened to be full and put spin on the story?

What was the point of the convoy, if it wasn't carrying aid? Was it delivering supplies covertly?

edit on 15pmFri, 15 Aug 2014 18:19:04 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
As expensive as fuel is, there is no way that an empty truck would be sent.

Whether it was soldiers or cargo that has been stolen, something read in those trucks.
edit on 15-8-2014 by Iamthatbish because: predict a text totally winning

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

What was the point of the convoy, if it wasn't carrying aid? Was it delivering supplies covertly?

My guess would be distraction? This most have been planned weeks ago, you don't just prep 280 vehicles overnight.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish

Whether it was soldiers or cargo that has been stolen, something read in those trucks.

I think the Russians know exactly what they are doing, they are definitely not going to waste all that fuel. If I have to guess, and maybe I'm way off here, there are probably many Russian Military trapped in the area surrounded by the Ukrainians. These trucks are probably their best ticket to get out of the city. The Russians are probably trying to get them out of there before the city is lost.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe

I think the Russians know exactly what they are doing, they are definitely not going to waste all that fuel. If I have to guess, and maybe I'm way off here, there are probably many Russian Military trapped in the area surrounded by the Ukrainians. These trucks are probably their best ticket to get out of the city. The Russians are probably trying to get them out of there before the city is lost.

Good thinking, don`t lose it !

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

There were at least a hundred of these trucks, that's a lot of them. It would be silly to send them into Ukraine on a publicity stunt, let the Western media inspect them to find them empty and not use them for another purpose -

Probably transporting aid to separatists? Maybe troops? I don't know.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
It appears that each truck has a different supply in it. Depending on the amount of the product, the size of the load is different. I would say that these trucks will split into different directions, maybe eight to ten to a convoy. They can unload quicker at different locations if they are split up, maybe a drop off will stop each truck for a few minutes.

I am sure that we didn't get shown fuller trucks that they were looking in. Propaganda does restrict our view of things and tries to persuade us something is wrong. A sack of wheat will last quite a few families a week. The Russians are purposely not filling the trucks, they want more trips into Ukraine. Possibly to get the people to side with them for helping them.

I don't see the Ukrainian government sending aid over there.
edit on 15-8-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I read about this yesterday and Russian explained that they needed spare trucks if some of the trucks will broke before getting there. Same time these trucks approached the Ukrainian border, Russian tanks invaded the border. Trucks were only an umbrella to disguise Russian actions elsewhere.
Now according some tweets In Ukraine by New York times reporter and Deputy Moscow bureau chief for Financial Times are saying that tanks which came from Russia are now driving around in Ukraine and having peacekeepers stickers on them.
Twitter ARoth(NYT)
Twitter Courtney Weaver

Also pictures of empty trucks..

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
So how many spares are needed? I have one spare tire. I need 100 more?

So its a multipurpose mission. At least try to fool us.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Its probably just a PR stunt to look very charitable, Either send 10 trucks carrying 10 tons of aid in each, or send 100 trucks carrying 1 ton of aid in each !

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ken10

Yes, my thoughts exactly. The convoy started in Moscow with fanfare. If it was really humanitarian then it would have been logistically easier to start the convoy closer to the source of the problem.

That said, Russia is a very corrupt nation, so perhaps the lorries were full at one point!

Regards

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: joemoe

In the grand scheme of things, it isn't that much fuel....

280 trucks travelling a few hundred miles in the world largest Oil producer?

I wouldn't waste to much time dwelling on that particular angle.

EDIT: In comparison, Russia loves to send large, ancient turbo-prop bombers who guzzle fuel on sightseeing tours around NATO countries. I don't think fuel is a real concern for them.
edit on 15/8/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
LOL is it really that surprising that the trucks are almost empty?
Come on, everyone saw it coming. The real cargo is long gone.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
LOL is it really that surprising that the trucks are almost empty?
Come on, everyone saw it coming. The real cargo is long gone.

Indeed - it was probably in that column that the Ukraine apparently destroyed....

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ken10
Its probably just a PR stunt to look very charitable, Either send 10 trucks carrying 10 tons of aid in each, or send 100 trucks carrying 1 ton of aid in each !

I think that is part of it, at least... there were a lot of panoramic media shots of the aid trucks used on both the BBC and RT in the past week, with the caravan stretching across the landscape.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Perhaps the lorries were full at one point! Ha! By the time they got to the drop off point, everyone had to have a little off the top first. This sadly seems plausible!
edit on 16amSat, 16 Aug 2014 01:38:50 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   
this is propaganda the bbc is a goverment controlled news station dam its even banned by china for spying,do your homework,why would russia need to hide weapons ,it is the uk eu and usa at fault all the way here,and im fed up of all you sheep blamming russia because of what you are told on the news ,dam wake up you zombies.....im really annoyed now to be surrounded by fools,that will just believe what ever they are told.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

I have to absolutely bow down to Western Propaganda Levels

So Russians don't fill up the truck to the ceiling so it can be inspected and no one can say, what is behind the food

and now the accusation is that there is no food but space

GOD take me now, spare me this suffering, I can't handle it anymore. This earth is finished.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   
me as a EU citizen i can attest the amount of western smear propaganda and USA-butt licking in the EU media is absolutely disgusting
edit on 16-8-2014 by thevace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: thevace
me as a EU citizen i can attest the amount of western smear propaganda and USA-butt licking in the EU media is absolutely disgusting

Do you have evidence the trucks were full and the BBC failed to show those trucks?

If the trucks are empty then they are empty. That's not propaganda, its a valid question.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join