It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Original Sin re-visited

page: 2
<< 1   >>

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 07:25 PM
From my point of view the tree of knowledge of good and evil represents mankind:s fall into duality subjective judgement.

duality djuːˈalɪti/ noun noun: duality; plural noun: dualities

1. the quality or condition of being dual.
2. an instance of opposition or contrast between two concepts or two aspects of something; a dualism.

Humanity was taught duality and learned opposing views but could not move beyond their own egos/views and therefor fell into subjective judgement of each other where they should be able to look at an opposing duality objectively.

And humanity is still doing the original sin but humans did not get their own religious stories so Jesus came down and clarified it.

“Don’t judge, so that you won’t be judged.
For the way you judge others is how you will be judged — the measure with which you measure out will be used to measure to you.
Why do you see the splinter in your brother’s eye but not notice the log in your own eye?
How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the splinter out of your eye,’ when you have the log in your own eye? You hypocrite! First, take the log out of your own eye; then you will see clearly, so that you can remove the splinter from your brother’s eye!

But Jesus also gave people the hint of the spiritual third eye that sees everything as it is beyond the subjective teaching the mind the true objective.
edit on 16-8-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 07:46 PM
a reply to: LittleByLittle
That is half-way towards my view.
Duality is built into the world (some things are good to eat, some not, some things right to do, some not).
As I said, they were making their own subjective judgements, which were flawed (which is how "murder", for example gets into the list of "right things to do").
What they needed to be doing was keeping in line with their God's judgement, which would have been a sounder guide.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 02:01 PM
The troubled state of the world even on this day- Iraq, Gaza, Ukraine, Fergusson, to name but a few- makes the question of "what is wrong with the world and what can be done about it?" as topical as ever.
In other words, the problem of Original Sin is permanently topical.

edit on 17-8-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:03 PM
The explanation that I've outlined has one possible awkward consequence.
I proposed that "the Fall" equates with developing our current human consciousness.
The implication is (I thought someone might have picked this up) that we ought to have stayed as purely instinctive animals instead.
One way round this conclusion is a version of the "FELIX CULPA" ("fortunate fall") idea; that is, the event was good in the long-term, whatever the present short-term effects, because developing consciousness was a necessary stage in our progress from instinctive obedience to conscious obedience, which is the long-term goal.

The debate has always had overtones of "attaching blame". A lot of modern argument is about trying to take the blame off the human characters and place it upon God instead.
Perhaps it is better to get away from the "blame" issue altogether and think in terms of "This current condition of man is an undesirable state of affairs; how do we get out of it?" The Bible is about providing one form of answer.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:08 PM
There is now a small group of threads on the Eden story, the others in the mini-series being;

Did they eat from the Tree of Life?
The tree of what knowledge?.
With knowledge comes death?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:09 AM
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I read recently (on patheos) that the "original sin" of eating the fruit was symbolic for deciding that they (Adam and Eve? - which story I agree with you is an analogy or metaphor) could judge other people, rather than letting God decide.

The tree of the knowledge symbolics are easier than most to understand. The tree is an upside down representation of our brain/nervous system with the fruits our senses (sight, hearing etc) . To stay spiritual we needed to refrain from eating the sweetest fruit of all (apple=sexual energy) which now keep us in life/death cycles. Satan is our ego.
edit on 20 8 2014 by glend because: spelling

top topics
<< 1   >>