It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom arrested for swearing in front of kids

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom

That is inherent beauty of it all! We all have our opinions on any given matter, we were entitled to our very own thoughts and viewpoints! If only we could discuss all of them in a civil manner. There is no need to attack someone for their opinion.

I agree!

:-)
Woodsmom I respect you and we have much in common I know. I was born feeling as I do, I don't know why, I have never used a swear word, I am not part of a church and my family are not religious I just feel the meanings behind words I always have even as a child and wondered why people use such inappropriate to the conversation words.

I hope to always show respect for others I am around and converse with. I am sure i fail many times.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

i lived in cork ( ireland ) for two years and the foul language was unbelievable , mothers cursing their children with the f and c words and even the children answering back using the same language .
there are enough words in the English language to put your point across without talking filth .

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I disagree, i think very few are offended at anything now days, this verbal abuse is common and the actions taken against this woman is unusual, not the norm.

In 2002 418,153 people were arrested for disorderly conduct. In 2011 367,175 people were arrested for disorderly conduct. I got those figures from the Sourcebook of criminal justice statistics online. I assume that the years between 2002 and 2011 the figures are similar. So being arrested for this is the norm. Now I respect your beliefs on swearing. I really do. But I think that is a separate topic
edit on 15-8-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy

I disagree, i think very few are offended at anything now days, this verbal abuse is common and the actions taken against this woman is unusual, not the norm.

In 2002 418,153 people were arrested for disorderly conduct. In 2011 367,175 people were arrested for disorderly conduct. I got those figures from the Sourcebook of criminal justice statistics online. I assume that the years between 2002 and 2011 the figures are similar. So being arrested for this is the norm. Now I respect your beliefs on swearing. I really do. But I think that is a separate topic

Now I respect your beliefs on swearing. I really do. But I think that is a separate topic

Actually the Op specifies her feeling on swearing so I think it is the same topic and interestingly she says,

I struggle daily to find some small way to positively impact the world, and I instead find myself more reclusive as time goes on because of this kind of craziness.

Strange because I have become reclusive because of the exact opposite reasons! That people behave as this woman did swearing and berating her Family in public and is nowadays acceptable whereas it would not have been when I was young nor even when my children were growing up.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

Ok fair enough. I will keep my mouth shut on that point then lol. Was not trying to attack or be argumentative. I said my piece. I will bow out of this thread. I hope everyone in it has a nice day.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

My frustration really lies with the fact that people are so quick to escalate an issue that could be something very simple. We all have a very unique point of view on this very complicated world that we live in. It doesn't do anyone any good to be petty and knee jerk. I say this in a general sense, this article just spurred something in me this morning because I could picture myself saying to my own husband, seriously, WTF? Not is a berating manner of screaming at anyone, just a simple statement. I grew up around a lot of hells angels, and unfortunately I picked up some bad language along the way, to me it's a natural part of conversation. It's not a good thing and I don't live that lifestyle. I also don't walk up to some lady walking through the store dressed provocatively and inappropriately and berate her for giving my children a poor view of women either. I don't agree with her but I walk the other way.

Char-Lee and others have an excellent point on that as well, maybe we wouldn't be where we are if we spoke up more. Where is that line, I could be vocal about my fairly conservative beliefs, but I choose not to stir the pot just to piss people off. We are all entitled to our opinions, we are not entitled to hurt others because of them.

I have to head off for the day now too, but I appreciate the conversation this morning. I only wish we could all discuss other pressing issues with as much civility.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
"...According to Salon, which looked up the city ordinance, disorderly conduct is defined as "riotous conduct of any kind," "cry[ing] out in a noisy, scandalous, or abusive manner" in a public place, or "utter[ing], while in a state of anger, in the presence of another, any bawdy, lewd, or obscene words or epithets..."

Who gets to define " riotous conduct, crying out in a noisy, scandalous or abusive manner"? Who gets to define "bawdy, lewd, or obscene words or epithets"? The F word is actually slang. I was taught that the only REAL CURSE words are JC and GD! In my era, we minded our own business. The busybody sounds like a liberal: My way or the highway!!

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
There is sometimes wa need for people to speak up. There are also sometimes that people need to mind their own business.

More stupid people making stupid laws to impose their morals and values on others.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: tom.farnhill

Boooooooo. No, I choose my words. Not you!!

Words have power!
Words control thought, thought controls feelings. If you allow a person to control your words they control you.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish
i was going to reply to your attack but then i remembered the old phrase Don't feed the trolls .

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: tom.farnhill

I'll be that. With the words of my choosing. Teaching my children the same.

There's a great book by Christopher M. Fairman you should read. You'll have to look up the title, I can't type it. The subtitle is Word Taboo and Protecting Our First Amendment Liberties.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

edit on 15-8-2014 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

edit on 15-8-2014 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

I have heard that many times. For some people this may even be true.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Habit4ming

"bawdy, lewd, or obscene words or epithets"? The F word is actually slang.

:-)

So you think the "F" word is only slang "informal language" you don't see the word as being in the lines of "bawdy, lewd, or obscene'. There may lie the problem today people do not understand the words they are using.

F*** is an English-language word, a profanity which refers to the act of sexual intercourse and is also commonly used to denote disdain or as an intensifier. Its origin is obscure; it is usually considered to be first attested to around 1475, but may be considerably older.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
There is sometimes wa need for people to speak up. There are also sometimes that people need to mind their own business.

More stupid people making stupid laws to impose their morals and values on others.

Therein lies another problem, using your own moral guide and not wanting to impose yours on others and still make the right choice!

One day I saw a Woman in the parking lot, she had a little toddler hard by the wrist, her face inches from his screaming obscenities in his terrified little face at the top of her lungs. His fear was so crushing to see and I had to wonder if she also beat the little guy all the time.
I did nothing and I am ashamed.
edit on 15-8-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Out. Of. Control. Good grief.

Total waste of police resources. Don't the police have some real criminals to arrest?

When did swearing become a crime?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

There you go the "busy Body" apologized in this video
EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Mother arrested for cursing receives apology
www.nbc26.tv...

Personally I would like her to think and maybe this whole thing help in some way I am hoping as I see people take each other for granted and they don't even say thank you to their mates or please or I appreciate that but they swear at each other. I try never to forget to tell my husband thankyou for things he does for me everyday and show him respect always.

The whole attitude can't be good for those two beautiful little girls!

"I have a really filthy mouth, and so does my husband, and while I've made a halfhearted effort to improve my language, we often say profane things to each other that aren't even spoken in anger," she writes. "Our daughter may or not be present sometimes."

edit on 15-8-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

You need to read Christopher M. Fairmans book to. It does an entire entomology on curse words. Not a simple wiki.

All of you that think your right not to hear words outweigh my right to say them are imposing your morals on others.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

All of you that think your right not to hear words outweigh my right to say them are imposing your morals on others.

The laws are old and will soon disappear, they are from a time when showing respect for each other was considered important to a society. Showing respect to elders and the young and not exposing the young to every adult thought, word and picture. All old ideas the road ahead belongs to you.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join