It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom arrested for swearing in front of kids

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The world has completely gone crazy around us. There are undeclared wars being fought, children being killed in all manner of horrific ways all across the planet, our leaders are so out of touch that they are taking vacations while giving sage advice, there is a ruthless virus spreading rampant threatening humanity. Now they are telling me I can't cuss at my husband for smashing the damn bread, seriously.

A woman is shopping with her husband and kids, her husband keeps throwing frozen pizzas on the bread, smashing it, and the woman's cusses at him. Another woman overhears, approaches the frustrated wife complaining about her language and gets cussed at as well. The next thing you know that frazzled wife's day goes from bad to worse as she is ARRESTED for cussing. I don't even know what to say anymore.

www.usatoday.com...
Here's the link. I know it's small beans in the scheme of the world, but damn, seriously, I would be a lifer by now if I lived near this lady.

Yesterday I found myself in tears over the rhetoric flying in the St. Louis Craigslist R&R, linked around here somewhere, and today I have to laugh at the insanity of people. Can't we spend our energies in a more positive manner than we are? I struggle daily to find some small way to positively impact the world, and I instead find myself more reclusive as time goes on because of this kind of craziness.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom

Something is wrong with this planet and the way we are heading it's only going to get worse. I can only watch in amazement as to what is taking place. It seems as though this brilliant thing called Democracy is one massive bs story.

link   
That is insane! Hell, if we can't even swear anymore, they might as well lock us all up right now.

link   
Oh,my! I expect I will be bailing my daughter out of jail on an hourly basis if that's the case! She talks like a sailor!

Seriously: men have been potty-talking for aeons- and quite loudly at that- everywhere you go.. I don't recall it as ever being a big deal with most people.
Like anything else, it's pretty much a choice whether or not you want to get wanked out over it.
I'm not fond of seeing crack hanging out of low-riders, or muffin tops hanging over skinny jeans, but as long as it's not in my mirror I don't need to let it affect me.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
but as long as it's not in my mirror I don't need to let it affect me.

That is the exact mindset that is getting us into the ridiculous situations we are seeing today and I'm only referencing what you said because it sums up the attitude of society, it is not directed at you personally... I like that quote. Nobody is willing to take the initiative and stand up for each other because they are all about the ME and what is happening to someone else isn't affecting ME.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Oh c'mon! Why the outrage? The woman was in a public place where, not only her children, but other's as well, were present. But, no one should have to listen to loud swearing in a public place. A restaurant would ask her to tone it down or leave.

Wolf faces disorderly conduct charges, and is due in court next month, KGO reports.

According to Salon, which looked up the city ordinance, disorderly conduct is defined as "riotous conduct of any kind," "cry[ing] out in a noisy, scandalous, or abusive manner" in a public place, or "utter[ing], while in a state of anger, in the presence of another, any bawdy, lewd, or obscene words or epithets."

The woman should have apologized for disturbing the peace of her fellow shoppers, and left it at that. But instead, she verbally assaulted the shopper too. I can see why she was arrested. She had plenty of chances to calm down over squished bread!

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
That's what I'm thinking Night Star. Nugget1, just like your daughter, I have such a potty mouth. It's my worst habit. We all have things that make us human, we all make mistakes. If a frazzled mom is going to jail for dropping an f- bomb then we might as well all smile pretty for the cameras and line up. It's almost cliche how we are living in the nightmare that Orwell dreamed up. The saddest part is that so many people choose to take this route. Whatever happened to live and let live? Do no harm? How hard would it have been for the concerned woman to walk past this stressed lady and smile at her instead of causing a confrontation. A little bit of understanding and kindness can smooth over a plethora of issues, but it seems to be a rarity anymore. Instead people would prefer to expend energy on being offended by something that should not even affect them.

Sorry, I guess this is a bit of a rant this morning too.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Hey, we asked for this folks. We saw this coming and did nothing. You all stood by and did nothing, and even vilified good loving parents who were poor, or by becoming suspicious of heart broken parents whose child has been kidnapped.

There is a witch hunt out there to criminalize any parent they can prove is less than perfect. Actually there is witch hunt out there to criminalize or vilify anyone who doesn't fit a certain mold.

There was no outrage before things like this got out of hand. People even jumped on the attack wagon. All the meanwhile, the true child abusers got away with it and the truly abused children never got help.

We have no right to complain because we didn't fight back before it got so extreme.
edit on 15-8-2014 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

You have an excellent point. People should not be disturbed by others while in public.

My frustration with it is the fact that I didn't see how it involved the other woman in the first place. It never said that the wife was screaming and yelling, simply that she dropped the f- bomb because her husband wasn't paying attention. I agree, maybe she shouldn't have cussed at the other shopper, but that woman made the conscious choice to step in. Under these circumstances I myself would also be in jail, I have been known to use bad words in public, and yes around my children, I have even cussed in front of my friend's kids from time to time, usually with an apology following. People are so fast to be offended by something that should not even be worth their energy. Now if she was screaming and beating her kids in the store, we would be having an entirely different conversation. As it stands, that's not the impression I was under from reading the article.

edit on 15-8-2014 by woodsmom because: Tpo

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Getting angry is something everyone does and it does happen in public at times also.

That's when her night got really bad. A fellow shopper approached her and accused her of using the F-word in front of her kids.

"I'm like, 'When did I say this to my kids?'" Wolf tells WJBF. "I said that to my husband, that he was smashing the bread."

If that was me, Mind your own business comes to mind.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Asked to leave the place of business, sure. Arrested? Heck no! Did she strike anyone or was anything damaged outside of the bread?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Sounds like it was not as the headline suggests for cussing in front of her kids.

But, rather for verbally assaulting the busy body.

The busy body should have reported it to the store manager if it bothered her that much.

It can be quite dangerous to talk to someone who is cussing, especially in front of her children and loudly enough to disturb others.

The potty mouth should have ignored the busy body or just told her to MYOB rather than verbally assault her.

Whoever arrested the potty mouth was also being stupid, should have just kicked her out of the store if her screaming at her husband using foul language was bothering others.

Boy, everyone messed up here.

Of course, could have all been avoided if Mom and Dad didn't decide to push each others buttons in front of the kids and in public have a marital spat. Busy body could have been afraid Mom was getting ready to punch Dad in public because having a mouth like that in public, if everybody believes what they see on TV (not saying its reality, just what people assume) could have led to a brawl.

Again, busy body should have informed the store manager instead of (possibly, you never know with strangers) taking her life in her hands by interfering.

Of course, the article doesn't say if Mom continued the sailor like tirade at the person who arrested her when he/she arrived.

We don't all know, however, I wouldn't be quick to judge that the Mom was just arrested for swearing in front of her kids.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

You are absolutely right. I am more guilty of that than many. I packed up my family and moved us farther into the woods when I had my first chance to do so. I struggle with finding a larger productive positive action. I have instead chosen to focus on my family, and teaching two little boys to be kind, helpful, productive members of humanity. In that process there are occasional bad words, and even a swat on the butt from time to time. Like you said, we are human, we seem to be forgetting what that is sometimes. Thanks for speaking up!

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Guillotine! Definitely! How dare she...

C'mon people. Are we really so petty and infantile?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

It's true that we really don't know the context of the situation. but the fact that the police made an arrest tells me that things spun out of control, control that was in that hands of Ms Wolf until she lost it.

And, oh I know about nosy and uppity do gooders! LOL. I sell tutus, fairy wings and magic wands, among other things, at craft shows. A group of old Christian "ladies" tried to get me kicked out of a show because they thought I was selling witchcraft with my magic wands!

Believe me, they would have needed the police to move me, but, fortunately the show coordinators didn't see eye to eye with the ladies.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I do not think she was arrested for swearing. She was arrested for verbally assaulting someone. Just like the nosy prissy lady should of probably just walked on. The mom who was arrested should of just walked on. She chose to go on a swear filled rant and verbally assault someone. Live and let live goes both ways.

Anyways this is nothing new. It happens all the time. Countless men and woman are arrested daily for disorderly conduct. Drunk guy making a scene. Disorderly conduct. Mom at a grocery store going on a swear filled rant. Disorderly conduct. The mom being a mom and frazzled does not matter. Do not take that wrong. I think you are a good poster but you are a mom. So you know how hard it is being a mom in the world today. So you see this mom as frazzled. Those drunk guys or not even drunk guys and woman with no kids who do this same thing. They have reasons for being frazzled too. Whether its a bad day or whatever.

Now are people a bit to easily offended these days. Of course. Everyone gets in a hissy fit whenever something does not go there way or whenever they dislike something for whatever reason. A bunch of cry babies. I see this all the time. But that does not give me the right to cuss out everyone I think is doing this. When in my own home sure. Not when I am in a public place that is shared by all.

If it stopped at swearing at her husband. I would be behind her all the way. It did not. A propensity to swear like a sailor does not give you the right to swear at other people whenever you want. Mother, father, childless.

edit on 15-8-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Fair enough, and very well said!!!
You summed it up much better than I did. I must say I also felt some sympathy for the mom. I have been known to say something like that to my husband in complete jest. We are madly in love still, but we do have an odd sense of humor too I suppose. I shouldn't jump to conclusions.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

The worst part is how hypocritical this is since even childrens Tv has swearing now and prime time TV is full of whatever they want to put on it.

According to Salon, which looked up the city ordinance, disorderly conduct is defined as "riotous conduct of any kind," "cry[ing] out in a noisy, scandalous, or abusive manner" in a public place, or "utter[ing], while in a state of anger, in the presence of another, any bawdy, lewd, or obscene words or epithets."

Personally I hate obscene words and I hate that I have to listen to them and that they get stuck in my head where I don't want them. My ex-husband did not let workers or even his boss swear in front of our kids and I respect him for that. I respect people who think of those around them and not just themselves. There is a reason it is called obscene but no one thinks of the stupidity of the meaning of each word and how they are using them anymore.

That is my feelings and wishes and preference and yet even I would not feel arrest would be a correct thing for language use.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Now are people a bit to easily offended these days. Of course.

I disagree, i think very few are offended at anything now days, this verbal abuse is common and the actions taken against this woman is unusual, not the norm. perhaps it is a very religious community she just moved into but even then the average now is ...whatever...anything goes all ok, tons of new threads on ATS are even titled WTF this and that.

Words matter, words come from who we are inside, and yet all the religious people I meet are the same, they mostly feel these things are not important also what is their excuse I wonder.

Matthew 12:36English Standard Version (ESV)

36 I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak,

Colossians 3:8-10English Standard Version (ESV)

8 But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth. 9 Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self[a] with its practices 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.

www.openbible.info...
edit on 15-8-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

That is inherent beauty of it all! We all have our opinions on any given matter, we were entitled to our very own thoughts and viewpoints! If only we could discuss all of them in a civil manner. There is no need to attack someone for their opinion. I do feel that this mom was wrong in turning on the other lady, they both should have walked away.

Yes, I also feel that it's very hypocritical. We are exposed to offensive material constantly, it is how we deal with that. When a disgusting horror movie commercial shows while I'm watching tv with my kids, I shut it off rather than call and yell at the person responsible. That police officer could have been taking a drunk driver off the road, or responding to a real domestic violence call or any one of a hundred more productive things to help a community. It was blown up way out of proportion like so very many more pressing issues. The ability to step back and see all sides seems to be lacking anymore, myself included. I had a knee jerk response to this this morning. I just don't get why she was arrested, maybe the article should have included more info. I assume she said something to the officer as well, but that enters on dangerous territory. We should assume nothing, and that is difficult at times.

None of us are ever going to know the whole story in any of these instances, everything is skewed by our personal perception of any given situation. The more people who get involved the more skewed things become. I only hope we recognize that before it destroys us.

And Char-Lee, I apologize on behalf of all the potty mouths of the world. I make no excuses for my terrible habit, I only thank you for your patience! And I was speaking about the article not that you attacked anyone, just for clarification purposes, it sounded bad when I read that back.

edit on 15-8-2014 by woodsmom because: Clarification

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join