Compound bows are for wimps

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Archers who shoot only compound bows are total wimps
. They are not strong enough to hold back all the weight of the bow, so they need some help holding the weight. Go to the gym you wimp and shoot a man's bow.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Id like to see you say that to a Mongolian archer

Their bows out performed anything else in the region (steppe region) until gun powder.

Namaste.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: WiseThinker

Uhhhh.. all I can say is:

lulz!

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
LOL! I've heard this discussion so many times!! lol
I have a friend who only uses re-curve bows and says that only "real men" use them and wussies use compounds. lol
Then, on the other end of the spectrum, I have friends who say that compound bows are "technology" and far better than "Neanderthal? bows. lol

Me personally, I use whatever works, and have both and like both. You can like both!!!!

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I have both a Compound bow, and a Recurve Bow. Personally i like my Compound bow, and it takes a lot of power to get the string back, Once the string passes the mid-way point, when pulling back, it becomes very easy. Most of my friends cant pull the compound bow string back in position, and they are not small guys. lol Its funny to see them struggle. My favorite bow, is my Crossbow. It has a 175# pull. I disagree with your position on compounds, you know there are different pull weights

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: WiseThinker
Id like to see you say that to a Mongolian archer

Their bows out performed anything else in the region (steppe region) until gun powder.

Namaste.

Those are my favorite type of bows and I shoot those kind. I love them. I own a 80# one and I do hold all the weight, unlike compound archers who are not strong enough to hold back my horsebow.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
People said using my rifle was wimpier than an a bow.

That's why I had a 200 Lb. trigger installed, now it takes a man to shoot it.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Glassbender777

I also own a compound bow and know very well about what it is like to draw one back, but you do not do the hard part of holding the full weight. Big difference between just pulling it back and holding full weight. A lot of my friends cannot draw back my 70# compound and have no chance in hell with my 80# longbow and my 80# horsebow.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
LOL! I've heard this discussion so many times!! lol
I have a friend who only uses re-curve bows and says that only "real men" use them and wussies use compounds. lol
Then, on the other end of the spectrum, I have friends who say that compound bows are "technology" and far better than "Neanderthal? bows. lol

Me personally, I use whatever works, and have both and like both. You can like both!!!!

No, longbows and Mongolian bows are real man's bow. I hate recurves with a passion.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I love American flatbows. The only time I condone someone using a compound bow is when they want to hunt but aren't good enough or confident enough with a traditional bow to kill the animal with an ethical shot.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I have a 40lb. fiberglass PSE recurve that I love dearly.

I've taken down deer with it, broke ribs going in and out on each side too. You don't need alot of crazy draw weight to shoot accurately and kill stuff. 40-50 lbs is plenty.

Its also fun to get in the boat and shoot Gar with it setup for bowfishing.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Chopper

No, longbows and Mongolian bows are real man's bow. I hate recurves with a passion.

You do realize that the Mongolians are the makers of the recurve, right? That weapon allowed Genghis Khan to rule an empire from the steppes of Asia to Eastern europe.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Chopper

Yeah I realized I made a mistake,

Mixed up composite and compound bows

IMO, then it's kind of like a Klingon argument, Sure you get to call you enemy cowards because they are using "cheap" ranged weapons, but in the end, then I would say that its the result that counts.

Just my 2 cents (and admission of mistake)

Namaste.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
As a female, I have a helluva time trying to use a longbow/recurve for hunting buck. I've tried and failed numerous times... and there's nothing worse than wasting a great opportunity to dropping a yummy whitetail.

So I'll keep using my "wimpy" crossbow, thank you very much.

.... and then I let the big boys step in to gut and clean the deer because I get the dry heaves whenever I've tried. I can gut/clean fish and prairie chicken. But ask me to gut/clean Bambi, Bullwinkle, or Winnie-the-Pooh and I'll run screaming like the girlie that I am.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

This is the kind of recurve I am talking about, that is why I call the Asian style bows horsebows to separate them from modern recurve bows.

Link to a picture of a modern recurve bow I hate, not a Asian horsebow.
upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge
It is possible for you to work your way up to hunting weights and you need a lot of pratice. I am a woman and it only took me a year to work my way up to shoot heavy warbows that have a 100# plus draw weight. Men try to say women cannot shoot heavy bows. Do not listen to them, they are just being sexist and do not want a woman to shoot a heavier bow then them. My arm and shoulder is fine.

new topics

join