It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine and Russian forces engage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Do not have a news article yet but around 11:00 AM est time Ukraine engaged Russian forces directly. Have yet to see anything on any news site

Ukraine and Russian forces engage

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I'l repost everything here :
www.zerohedge.com...-5097479

Things just escalated notably - (Via Bloomberg):

*UKRAINE FORCES ATTACK ARMED CONVOY FROM RUSSIA: LYSENKO
*UKRAINE TROOPS 'DESTROY' PART OF ARMED CONVOY: LYSENKO
*UKRAINE'S POROSHENKO: CONFIRMED APC INCURSION TO CAMERON

From Reuters:

UKRAINIAN MILITARY SPOKESMAN SAYS UKRAINE FORCES ENGAGED RUSSIAN ARMOURED COLUMN ON UKRAINIAN SOIL AND "PART OF IT NO LONGER EXISTS"
The result...

Damn

Edit : more :

We await Putin's response...

*RUSSIA CONCERNED AT ATTEMPTS TO DISRUPT AID CONVOY
UKRAINIAN MILITARY SPOKESMAN SAYS UKRAINIAN FORCES HAD TRACKED RUSSIAN ARMOURED COLUMN AFTER IT CROSSED BORDER INTO UKRAINE

*RUSSIA SAYS IT'S GETTING INFO OF DIRECT THREATS TO CONVOY
*RUSSIA SAYS UKRAINE INTENSIFIES MILITARY OPS TO DISRUPT CONVOY

They have been since yesterday :
www.zerohedge.com...

www.theguardian.com...
While the white trucks came to a halt well short of Ukraine's border, a different Russian convoy did cross into Ukrainian territory late on Thursday evening.

The Guardian saw a column of 23 armoured personnel carriers, supported by fuel trucks and other logistics vehicles with official Russian military plates, travelling towards the border near the Russian town of Donetsk.

EDIT : seems all hell is breaking loose over there:
RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTRY SAYS UKRAINIAN FORCES ENGAGING IN INTENSE FIGHTING IN EASTERN UKRAINE TO STOP HUMANITARIAN AID TO THE REGION

Now this is all the info currently available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now here is the catch :
Directly from interfax :
August 15, 2014

19:12
Poroshenko: Disagreements on Russian humanitarian aid delivery settled

19:07
UKRAINIAN SECURITY FORCES ARE TRYING TO CUT ROUTE FOR RUSSIAN HUMANITARIAN AID DELIVERY FROM BORDER TO LUHANSK PREVIOUSLY AGREED UPON WITH KYIV - RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTRY

Does this make any sense to anyone? So they attacked the convoy, but it seems all things are settled again and they just carry on like nothing happened?

edit on thAmerica/Chicago815000000k2014 by MessageforAll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I Just went from, "not good, not good, not good" to "ummmm ok...."
edit on 15-8-2014 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I know Ukraine recently agreed to let U.S and U.K. (i believe it was UK) companies take over the pipelines. I'm leaning towards that being the recent spark. Some reassurances from US and Europe backup against Russia for their oil/gas business.

Thanks for updating with news sources I checked all the major outlets and found nothing.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I can't keep the story straight either. First there was approval but concern Russia was going to sneak in troops. Than I heard they were being searched by Kiev on the Russian side and they don't know how long it will take. Now I am hearing Russia has been engaged by Kiev.

All the different stories leads me to believe something is about to happen and all these crossing stories are meant to confuse and obfuscate the truth. This doesn't bode well.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
From USA Today
Ukraine says it 'destroyed' part of Russian armed convoy

Ukrainian troops on Friday "destroyed" part of what Kiev says was a Russian armed convoy that crossed into Ukraine around the same time as a truck convoy of humanitarian aid reached the border, according to Andriy Lysenko, spokesman for Ukraine's National Security Defense Council.

"Appropriate actions were undertaken and a part of it nolonger exist," Lysenko told reporters.

edit on 15-8-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: cosmicts

nope, can't be, Ukraine voted on 25 sanctions against Russia, one of which was to close down the gas pipeline. Effectively crippling Europe.

Honestly not sure what is happening, but some of this info is making no sense, ( and i'm checking a lot of different sources right now )

link   
No link
Watching CNN now, the banner says Ukraine destroyed 'most' of Russia's convoy
FOX and MSNBC are only talking about Ferguson police
Of course that's CNN so who knows what their sources are
But that is what I saw

X

link   
a reply to: MessageforAll

Yeah I noticed the same slide myself and was scratching my head. Halliburton was ok but everything else just tanked.

Interesting to note that the market reacts immediately (automation) and yet Monster Drink MNST is up 27% HAHAHA. I guess those troops need the energy. Yikes.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Just a reminder, all the info your seeing now as breaking news is actually pretty old. Hardly breaking anymore.

The first report of this was about an hour ago, it took RT about 45 minutes to break this news ( which is extremely odd )
Interfax was the first to report it, then came bloomberg.

And even when the news is being reported as breaking, I am seeing news that its already settled again :
19:12
Poroshenko: Disagreements on Russian humanitarian aid delivery s
edit on thAmerica/Chicago815uk2014 by MessageforAll because: (no reason given)

link   
Ukrainian neo-nazis are feeling quite ballzy it seems, perhaps because they are backed by the US, and they think the US will help them in a fight with Russia.

What happens when the US doesnt?

link   
Why does this incident remind me of the fish which just took the bait ....

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: maddy21
Why does this incident remind me of the fish which just took the bait ....

Than you reel it in and find five holes in its mouth.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
CNBC Just reported that markets are down over 100... all across the boards and still falling fast

DJIA Dow Jones Industrial Average 16591.07

-122.51 -0.73%
S&P 500 S&P 500 Index 1944.01

-11.17 -0.57%
NASDAQ Nasdaq Composite Index 4432.01

-20.99 -0.47%

U.S. stocks lost their morning gains on news of fresh Russia, Ukraine conflict.

"That's the sole reason for the pullback," said Peter Boockvar, chief market analyst at The Lindsey Group.

Bond yields fell, and gold prices dropped before recovering to trade near earlier levels. Crude oil gained.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped more than 100 points following the news, with Boeing the hardest hit and Coca-Cola retaining gains.

"Unfortunately [the geopolitical conflict] is right back to page one, and that's not what we need," said Art Hogan, chief market strategist at Wunderlich Securities. When this happens, "we tend to largely ignore things which are fundamental."

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: CaticusMaximus
Ukrainian neo-nazis are feeling quite ballzy it seems, perhaps because they are backed by the US, and they think the US will help them in a fight with Russia.

What happens when the US doesnt?

Maybe because of this; news that no one cared to post on ATS, remember that the USA is sending 130 advisers to Iraq? Well USA has its priories twisted it seems read this :

WASHINGTON — Approximately 600 soldiers from the Army’s 1st Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division will deploy to Poland and the Baltic states to help reassure European allies who feel threatened by Russian military moves, the Pentagon announced Wednesday.

www.stripes.com...
www.zerohedge.com...

Now this is all under the guise of "drills but we know better.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
And sh#t just hit the fan
EU FOREIGN MINISTERS SAY WOULD CONSIDER ANY UNILATERAL MILITARY ACTIONS BY RUSSIA IN UKRAINE AS BLATANT VIOLATION OF INTERNATIONAL LAW

www.zerohedge.com...

And it seems my country is feeding the warmachine

Belgium also chimes in:

RUSSIA OVERSTEPPING UKRAINE BORDER WAS `AGRESSION': REYNDERS
REYNDERS SAYS `NO SURPRISE' UKRAINE REACTED TO RUSSIAN MOVE
And paradoxically at the same time it adds that:

EU SAYS SECURITY OF ENERGY SUPPLIES IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE
So far the only official comment that is missing is that of Russia which has vehemently denied any entrance by an armed convoy into Ukraine and has yet to have any direct statement on the alleged destruction of its assets in Ukraine.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Released 1 minute ago on the WSJ:

MOSCOW—Ukrainian artillery destroyed a large part of a column of armored vehicles that had been seen entering Ukraine from Russia, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said Friday.

Ukraine, backed by Western capitals, has for weeks accused Russia of sending men and heavy weapons to pro-Russia rebels that hold several towns and cities in Ukraine's east.

Source

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: MessageforAll
EU FOREIGN MINISTERS SAY WOULD CONSIDER ANY UNILATERAL MILITARY ACTIONS BY RUSSIA IN UKRAINE AS BLATANT VIOLATION OF INTERNATIONAL LAW

Last time they said something similar Crimea happened , considering E.U economy is flat lining and German economy has contracted .02% there is really nothing much they can do ...

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: MessageforAll

www.zerohedge.com...

And it seems my country is feeding the warmachine

Belgium also chimes in:

RUSSIA OVERSTEPPING UKRAINE BORDER WAS `AGRESSION': REYNDERS
REYNDERS SAYS `NO SURPRISE' UKRAINE REACTED TO RUSSIAN MOVE
And paradoxically at the same time it adds that:

EU SAYS SECURITY OF ENERGY SUPPLIES IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE
So far the only official comment that is missing is that of Russia which has vehemently denied any entrance by an armed convoy into Ukraine and has yet to have any direct statement on the alleged destruction of its assets in Ukraine.

I don't suppose any of these comments were pre-written? Energy is certainly of the utmost concern and as I believe you stated before, this may have everything to do with the recent sanctions.

I hope cooler heads can prevail here.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: maddy21

Ugh, honestly the amount of conflicting news coming in is beyond reason

Directly from interfax

19:49
PUTIN, LUKASHENKO AND NAZARBAYEV EXCHANGED OPINIONS ON UKRAINIAN CRISIS, EXPRESSED DEEP CONCERN ABOUT CATASTROPHIC HUMANITARIAN SITUATION IN SOUTHEASTERN UKRAINE - KREMLIN

19:48
Moscow worried by hindrance of aid convoy passage in Ukraine - Foreign Ministry

19:48
Ukrainian, French, German, Russian foreign ministers to meet in Berlin on Aug 17 - Klimkin

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join