It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video of Michael Brown robbing store just before being shot to be released today.

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Black, white, neon ping.......doesn't matter. The area has voted in the people that were in charge of the police response.

The have the Govt they deserve.

I have to say your point is invalid as the police were arresting the people that were lawfully voted in.

link   
a reply to: abe froman

This whole thing is a non issue.
It's just a deflection. He didn't rob the place he shoplifted. What's more no one even knew it was him until he was murdered. They are doing everything they can to quell the unrest but I hope the people tear the police station down. The police certainly seem more likely to kill them than help them.

link   
a reply to: Greven

You don't think there is a right to detain a criminal on your property pending law enforcement's arrival?
edit on 15-8-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

originally posted by: Bilk22
He's assaulting the store owner. I think the cigars are rather irrelevant in this instance.

Store owner is trying to lock (imprison) him inside the store.

That's something you can't legally do, so far as I know.
I'm shaking my head in disbelief. OK so stand up for a thug who just robbed the guy he's now assaulting. Your metric for justice is way off kilter IMO.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow

It's just a deflection. He didn't rob the place he shoplifted. What's more no one even knew it was him until he was murdered. They are doing everything they can to quell the unrest but I hope the people tear the police station down. The police certainly seem more likely to kill them than help them.
Shoplifting = robbery = theft. Assault = criminal offense.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

You don't think there is a right to detain a criminal on your property pending law enforcement's arrival?

I think that even falls under the category of Citizen's Arrest.

Des

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
His actions caused his own death.

I do not agree with a lot of the police abuse as of late, I also do not agree with their shoot first ask questions later policy that seems to be the norm these days in the US...

However, Michael's actions resulted in his own death, in these stills he breached other people's right to a peaceful life and not to be assaulted and the result was he has his right to life abused. Cause and effect.

It's natural justice, it's not pretty, it's not 100% fair, but in nature.. if you pick a fight with a lioness, or one of her little cubs and she kills you - that is as fair as it gets in the natural world. Natural selection at it's finest if you ask me.

The video posted showing British police is a fine example of smart and honorable policing where nobody needs to be hurt. In saying that, that is a lot of resources for one man (but who can put a price on life right? ok so you pay the bill for 30 police per nutcase). Additionally, What if that man through (boomerang style) his machete at an officer and killed him? only then would killing have been justified? it only takes 2 seconds for someone to kill another, it can be done with bare hands but a weapon drastically increases the risk.

At the end of the day we all know right from wrong, there is a middle ground! Police should be using a lot more talking, restraining and distracting techniques before going for the kill, but if the perpetrator put's anybodies life at risk, they made their own bed.

My 2c

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Of course, but even just releasing the name of the officer or simply the fact that he was responding to a robberry could have gone a long way in ratcheting down the tensions...that was all rumor from local residents and the main focus of the sunshine requests from the media, so they could report it.
a reply to: kosmicjack

Why should any information be released before the investigation is completed? As we can see this was not as simple as the media tried to make it out to be. Releasing that kind of information to the public would have made taking any of it to court a joke. Justice is not about making the masses happy, hell they already have their minds made up as to what happened. As for releasing the cops name, well considering the way this has played out are you so willing to put his and his families life in danger??? As for the dead boy, well they always were good boys to their parents and having them in the media portraying their view of their child was a disservice to the truth. Considering in the report he stole cigars that tells me it was drug related. But do to T&C I can't specify but anyone who lives in that kind of community can tell you what the cigars were for. This whole thing has the making of a huge cluster
and in retrospect the actions of everyone from the police to the rioters are going to look like --- ----. Public opinion has no bearing on the truth as everyone in this has their own truth they want and the actual truth will be a sour taste.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Cite me the proper legal standing for doing such a thing and I would believe it.

"Criminal" is an interesting choice of words, as if he remained in the store he wouldn't have been stealing yet.
We can't even see whether or not he paid for the merchandise.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Cite me the proper legal standing for doing such a thing and I would believe it.

Shoplifting--detention of suspect by merchant--liability presumption.

Shoplifting--detention of suspect by merchant--liability presumption.

537.125. 1. As used in this section:

(1) "Mercantile establishment" means any mercantile place of business in, at or from which goods, wares and merchandise are sold, offered for sale or delivered from and sold at retail or wholesale;

(2) "Merchandise" means all goods, wares and merchandise offered for sale or displayed by a merchant;

(3) "Merchant" means any corporation, partnership, association or person who is engaged in the business of selling goods, wares and merchandise in a mercantile establishment;

(4) "Wrongful taking" includes stealing of merchandise or money and any other wrongful appropriation of merchandise or money.

2. Any merchant, his agent or employee, who has reasonable grounds or probable cause to believe that a person has committed or is committing a wrongful taking of merchandise or money from a mercantile establishment, may detain such person in a reasonable manner and for a reasonable length of time for the purpose of investigating whether there has been a wrongful taking of such merchandise or money. Any such reasonable detention shall not constitute an unlawful arrest or detention, nor shall it render the merchant, his agent or employee, criminally or civilly liable to the person so detained.

3. Any person willfully concealing unpurchased merchandise of any mercantile establishment, either on the premises or outside the premises of such establishment, shall be presumed to have so concealed such merchandise with the intention of committing a wrongful taking of such merchandise within the meaning of subsection 1, and the finding of such unpurchased merchandise concealed upon the person or among the belongings of such person shall be evidence of reasonable grounds and probable cause for the detention in a reasonable manner and for a reasonable length of time, of such person by a merchant, his agent or employee, in order that recovery of such merchandise may be effected, and any such reasonable detention shall not be deemed to be unlawful, nor render such merchant, his agent or employee criminally or civilly liable.

4. Any merchant, his agent or employee, who has reasonable grounds or probable cause to believe that a person has committed a wrongful taking of property, as defined in this section, and who has detained such person and investigated such wrongful taking, may contact law enforcement officers and instigate criminal proceedings against such person. Any such contact of law enforcement authorities or instigation of a judicial proceeding shall not constitute malicious prosecution, nor shall it render the merchant, his agent or employee criminally or civilly liable to the person so detained or against whom proceedings are instigated.

Sufficiently satisfied?
edit on 15-8-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Why do you people even care if these criminals live? They eat better in prison, they have some sort of structure, while plenty of Americans suffer. It cost tax payers more money to house these fools and you peeps want justice for them?

We have really become weak as humans.
It is ironic that the same sympathy isn't passed on rapists or child abusers.

Logic does not exist in humanity anymore. There will never be another Albert Eisenstein for this generation.
You peeps have ruined the moral fabric of society by wanting these people to be put on the stand.

I say an eye for an eye. You kill someone...you get killed right back. You steal something...you get your hand chopped off.

Criminals know they can get away with what they do because of wussy people like all of you.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: johngrissom
You are wrong on so many levels but I'll just address two of your statements.

1. This generation will never have an Albert Einstein.
Google "Steven Hawking".
2. Why do you care whether these people live or die?
Because they're human beings and we are human beings. I entreat you to join us.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: j.r.c.b.
After seeing how Brown treated the little store owner, I really wish we could see how he treated/spoke to the officer...is there NO dash cam at all? That's surprising to me, as I've never seen a police car without a cam of some sort.....

Guy tried to imprison him by locking him in the store. Setting aside whether or not he actually took the cigars without paying... you wouldn't stick up for your rights, too?

You don't get to imprison people. Cops do.

RSMO 563.051.2. A private person acting on his own account may, subject to the limitations of subsection 3, use physical force to effect arrest or prevent escape only when and to the extent such is immediately necessary to effect the arrest, or to prevent escape from custody, of a person whom he reasonably believes to have committed a crime and who in fact has committed such crime.

3. A private person in effecting an arrest or in preventing escape from custody is justified in using deadly force only
(1) When such is authorized under other sections of this chapter; or
(2) When he reasonably believes such to be authorized under the circumstances and he is directed or authorized by a law enforcement officer to use deadly force; or
(3) When he reasonably believes such use of deadly force is immediately necessary to effect the arrest of a person who at that time and in his presence
(a) Committed or attempted to commit a class A felony or murder; or

(b) Is attempting to escape by use of a deadly weapon.

And from State V. Galazin
"A private citizen may arrest on a showing of the commission of a felony and reasonable grounds to suspect the arrested party, to prevent an affray or breach of the peace, and for a misdemeanor if authorized by statute."

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow

1. Yes it was indeed a robbery, that has been shown several times in this thread(helps if you read a thread before blindly commenting).
2. HE knew it was him, which is probably why he decided to assault the officer in an attempt to avoid jail time.
3. If you sincerely hope the people "tear the police station down" before all the facts are even out I suggest you seek some sort of counseling or anger management.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

"Criminal" is an interesting choice of words, as if he remained in the store he wouldn't have been stealing yet.
We can't even see whether or not he paid for the merchandise.
We can clearly see he's assaulting the guy. Guess you're ok with that.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: johngrissom

Why do you people even care if these criminals live? They eat better in prison, they have some sort of structure, while plenty of Americans suffer. It cost tax payers more money to house these fools and you peeps want justice for them?

We have really become weak as humans.
It is ironic that the same sympathy isn't passed on rapists or child abusers.

Logic does not exist in humanity anymore. There will never be another Albert Eisenstein for this generation.
You peeps have ruined the moral fabric of society by wanting these people to be put on the stand.

I say an eye for an eye. You kill someone...you get killed right back. You steal something...you get your hand chopped off.

Criminals know they can get away with what they do because of wussy people like all of you.
You're in favor of Sharia Law? Really?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Sufficiently satisfied?

No.

Locking the doors is quite different from detaining one person.
edit on 19Fri, 15 Aug 2014 19:10:25 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago8 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
dbl post sorry
edit on 15-8-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

please note the, "or prevent escape" you are dealing with Missouri law, which I cited at the link. the shop owner was well within his legal right.
edit on 15-8-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Very well said! That's why I brought up the dash cam. It seems to be an important piece missing without it. I do agree with everything you wrote

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join