It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video of Michael Brown robbing store just before being shot to be released today.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: mekhanics
Brilliant. Getting chased by a man with a machete when you should either be tazing or shooting him.

Ridiculous.

Why shoot him?

Taze yes but why shoot?

Killing a suspect should be the VERY VERY VERY last resort.

Police are not there too dish out punishment, just protected the public and deliver suspects to the police station to be questioned or charged to await trial.

Now those police had the suspect with the machete contained. No need to shoot him id say.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation
Brown was fleeing but how in the # is the cop to know that he won't go and take someone else's life, steal a car that could have children in them.

That is not for law enforcement to determine, they are not Judge Dredd.

The initial shooting my very well have been justified but I can be fairly certain that academy training does not involve shooting suspects in the back or with their hands up if this is what actually transpired.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
i imagine it went like this
"Get something on this kid, i don't care what. we need to spin it so we can justify the murder"
Shoplifting. really. Yeah hes a hardened criminal and deserved everything he got

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Still the shooting is only justified if he was armed and had his gun drawn.

Maybe its my wimpy British Upbringing and weird British Values

But the police should NEVER shoot EVER unless a suspect is armed and a direct threat to the public.

The police are NOT there too be judge jury and executioner.

It's nothing to do with nationality or wimpiness, it's about humanity.
You do not just keep shooting an unarmed person.
If you have to shoot - and you never have to shoot an unarmed suspect- then shoot to maim and not to kill.
All of the witnesses say he was unarmed and had his hands in the air, unless every single witness is lying, then I think the police have fabricated most of the 'struggle' story to justify or cover for their cold blooded killing of this young man.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Why shoot him?

Because he is attempting to cause death with his weapon.

I did say taze. If that does not work then he needs to be shot.

Police are not there too dish out punishment...

Protecting yourself is not dishing out punishment.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Brown was fleeing but how in the # is the cop to know that he won't go and take someone else's life, steal a car that could have children in them.

THAT IS ABSOLUTE BULL #!

Police are not there to be jury and make decision on what they MAY do.

You should NEVER shoot something for just robbery or running from the police!

If he was not armed there was NO justification.

By your logic the police should shoot jay walkers or speeders? O lets just execute random people based on what they MAY do.

a NON violent crimes only deserves NON violent action by the police!

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
Shoplifting. really.

It was more than just shoplifting if that is Brown in the photos, it was violent assault.

link   

That is not for law enforcement to determine, they are not Judge Dredd.

The initial shooting my very well have been justified but I can be fairly certain that academy training does not involve shooting suspects in the back or with their hands up if this is what actually transpired.

I agree that excess violence like you stated should not be tolerated. But the cop needs to use his judgement to determine if that criminal is a threat to others. The kid very well might not have been a threat...we just don't know.

+1 more 
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This whole thing is convoluted.

We hear of an unarmed college kid being gunned down by a cop for simply walking to his grandmas house. But then we find out the 'kid' is the size of a moose and he just robbed a store and roughed up the store clerk. Now the news is saying the cop who shot him is black so that kind of takes the wind out of the 'it's racist' discussion. But the cop did shoot the dead fella in the back (according to reports) so that's a serious issue that the department is investigating.

Backwards time jump to pre-Zimmerman case. I thought Zimmerman would be guilty of manslaughter. That was based on what I heard in the news. Then the trial happened and mid way through I had to change my verdict to not guilty. I learned my lesson. I"m not going to prejudge any of it. Not the dead person ... not the cop ... none of it. I'll wait for the investigation and/or the trial.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

link   

US cops :Shoot on sight
UK Police: Throw bins at them.

Frankly, if someone came at me with a machete I would shoot them instead of shoving my garbage can at them.

Your not police officer.

I hold them to a much higher standard.

If they dont need to use lethal force then they shouldn't.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

This doesn't warrant death, but you can't go around strong arming people and not expect something terrible to happen to you. This "boy" was no gentle giant.

Sympathies are out the window.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

But the cop needs to use his judgement to determine if that criminal is a threat to others. The kid very well might not have been a threat...we just don't know.

You still cannot go shooting suspects in the back unless the officer's or a bystander's life is in immediate danger.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Doh! CNN just asked the same question I did....

Apparently the Ferguson police waited several days to question Johnson. Okay, why no arrest if he was with. Brown at the time of the strong arm robbery and fled the scene?

At the very least, it's not making sense.
But, the question is - Is it just bad police procedure or a cover up?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

while wrong, grabbing a man and intimidating him doesn't justify being shot.
until they provide real evidence for the shooting, i will just scowl

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
That's interesting
And just two days ago another poster claimed to have seen a video that put this situation into context

Oh, but that thread was closed right away

I guess all the advertising we see here on ATS has purchased certain censorship rights maaaaybe

? X

But to the point, is all the violence that the public has been guilty of justified by this one incident?
Maybe the revolution has begun
www.abovetopsecret.com...

link   

Your not police officer.

Not enough money to make me want to do that.

I hold them to a much higher standard.
If they dont need to use lethal force then they shouldn't.

I agreed with you but there are plenty of circumstances were it is perfectly justified.

link   

Still the shooting is only justified if he was armed and had his gun drawn.

Maybe its my wimpy British Upbringing and weird British Values

But the police should NEVER shoot EVER unless a suspect is armed and a direct threat to the public.

The police are NOT there too be judge jury and executioner.

Well unless the guy took a hard blow and was concerned that more were coming. Maybe he had an image of being knocked out and having his own gun used on him.

Some points to consider.....was this guy cuffed? Then he must have head butted the officer or he was cuffed with hands in front because he was to big? And what was he doing in the front seat?

And let me tell you how scary someone going for your gun is.

link   
More details emerging..... Looks pretty much like Mr. Brown was in the party store with his friend and were involved in a theft/confrontation with the store owner. So much for his friend's "eyewitness account".

The officer has been named and is one of the few African American's on the Police Force there.

Still need more info of what what happened in the street in the moments before the shooting, but the initial story of Mr. Brown being an innocent bystander shot by a racist LEO seems to be blown up.

Did Mr. Brown have any Facebook or Twitter accounts? I'd be curious to the contents of that. You'd think someone would have looked and found them, even with the common name.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

THAT IS ABSOLUTE BULL #!

Police are not there to be jury and make decision on what they MAY do.

You should NEVER shoot something for just robbery or running from the police!

If he was not armed there was NO justification.

By your logic the police should shoot jay walkers or speeders? O lets just execute random people based on what they MAY do.

a NON violent crimes only deserves NON violent action by the police!

You are so blind. Never shoot anyone for robbery or running from police...really. Armed robbery is no longer considered a threat? Un#ing believable...how about we hold our society responsible for their actions.

Also from what the OP is stating the criminal was armed?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I agreed with you but there are plenty of circumstances were it is perfectly justified.

I agree and thats why we have armed police units over here.

Some times lethal force is required. But only if there is no other choice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join