It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ferguson police name Darren Wilson as officer who shot Michael Brown

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

By typical I meant that usually someone will grab what they want and run out of the store. These guys are calm, the small dude puts something back on the counter (looks like a pack of cigars) and they start walking off until the store clerk confronts them. If they were stealing cigars, why would he put some back on the counter.

Or perhaps I am wrong as to what I saw. It looks like his hand is empty when he pulls it back from the counter.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

Sheep, come on. Why would the store clerk confront them. Why would the clerk then be assaulted.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
In California this was just applied to the guy whose girlfriend was shot during a robbery. A person can be charged with their accomplice’s death if it occurs during the commission of a crime.

www.latimes.com...

It was just reported that Ferguson police said Dorian Johnson will not be charged with any crime.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

originally posted by: Libertygal
a reply to: roadgravel
Well, they called it a strong arm robbery. Must be a different statute, I am thinking

I don't think the strong arm is a term that is in the law. Just a description people are using. I don't see it so far.

Strong-arm robbery is a term used to describe a situation where the offender used any degree of force to complete the act. Strong-arm robbery is technically a term used to describe the crime of "Robbery by sudden snatching." This crime's definition is detailed below:

812.131 - Robbery by sudden snatching "Robbery by sudden snatching" means the taking of money or other property from the victim's person, with intent to permanently or temporarily deprive the victim or the owner of the money or other property, when, in the course of the taking, the victim was or became aware of the taking. In order to satisfy this definition, it is not necessary to show that: The offender used any amount of force beyond that effort necessary to obtain possession of the money or other property; or There was any resistance offered by the victim to the offender or that there was injury to the victim's person.

Source

Every state has laws that can be considered to fit the term "strong arm robbery", be it clearly stated, or fitting the description. Basically, no weapon is used, the offender uses force or intimidation to gain property belonging to someone else.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
The video supports the fact that Brown and Johnson likely did commit a crime prior to the police officer stopping them. It also supports the fact that Johnson lied or at least omitted details in his public statements. (IMO it is actually Brown and Johnson in the video)

Either way, the officer was in the right when stopping Brown and Johnson. They fit the description of the suspects and they were in the area. What happened after he stopped them is what is important.

Things I think will be important to know are;
-How many times was Brown shot, where he was shot and at what distance was each shot fired.
-What injuries, if any, did Wilson sustain.
-Did Johnson participate in the assault on Officer Wilson, if in fact he was assaulted.

The first two things will make a huge impact on whether this was a justified or unjustified shooting by Officer Wilson.
The third takes it in a new direction. If Wilson was in fact assaulted and Johnson had a hand in that assault, he would be guilty of a second felony, one that resulted in death. This would mean he could be charged as if he had killed Brown himself.

edit on 15/8/2014 by lynn112 because: think faster than i can type

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrLimpet
a reply to: retiredTxn

Here's the surveillance video

Thanks. Much faster than I could have done it!

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
a reply to: matafuchs

By typical I meant that usually someone will grab what they want and run out of the store. These guys are calm, the small dude puts something back on the counter (looks like a pack of cigars) and they start walking off until the store clerk confronts them. If they were stealing cigars, why would he put some back on the counter.

Or perhaps I am wrong as to what I saw. It looks like his hand is empty when he pulls it back from the counter.

It ultimately doesn't matter if they stole anything or if it was just a misunderstanding.

Michael Brown did assault the clerk, that is without question. And it is know that police were called and were looking for Brown.

All it justifies is that the police had probable cause to stop Brown.

No one, at least no logical person, is saying that the robbery (attempted or misunderstanding) justifies Brown getting shot...only that it justifies him being stopped.

In short, it rules out random profiling by a police officer stopping a black male walking down the street for no reason.
edit on 15-8-2014 by kruphix because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: retiredTxn

That supports my point, thanks.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: synnergy
a reply to: Iamthatbish

I agree. I guess my post didn't make that clear. It was early for me.

Even the worst of people, murderer and rape suspects are able to put their hands up and get taken into custody.

It was an Execution in the streets.

It's interesting how they release both officer's name AND the claim of a robbery at the same time. After 5 plus days. Hmm...

Yes my post outlining WHY should just be ignored, like many of my posts with facts have been.

If it's an emotional response, however, it'll get all the stars and flags in the world.

Throw in some cutely disguised racism, and you might even get an applause.

But, screw facts.

Screw rule of law.

Screw evidence staring you in the face.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Sheep, come on. Why would the store clerk confront them. Why would the clerk then be assaulted.

I'm not saying they did not steal, I was just clarifying my earlier comment that it doesn't seem "typical". Clearly they were stealing something. I just found some things a bit odd and was throwing it out there for discussion.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I gotcha. It was a little 'off'. Good eye.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

originally posted by: matafuchs
In California this was just applied to the guy whose girlfriend was shot during a robbery. A person can be charged with their accomplice’s death if it occurs during the commission of a crime.

www.latimes.com...

It was just reported that Ferguson police said Dorian Johnson will not be charged with any crime.

Good. That means one of two things. He spoke on condition of immunity, and simply told the truth, or, admitted he lied about being with Michael, and rolled on who was. He may well have agreed to turn State's Evidence.

That IS Dorian in that video, however. He is easily identifiable, after watching him on MSNBC.

From the statement released earlier, it appears he may have talked with police without his attorney always present, as his attorney seemed shocked at the news release.

edit on 15-8-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

No problem.

One thing is for certain. The image created that this man was just a good college boy that would never hurt anyone is completely false, and he appears to be a punk. I have no pity for thieves.

But I do feel sorry for his mother. Not only has she lost her son, but she also has to see this video and come to the realization that he may have been a no good punk piece of crap.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Or maybe he ran off as soon as the fighting started and did not see anything. If he was there and saw what happened, he would not be just let go on this deal. So either he lied and did not see a thing and the cop said as much that he ran. Or they are just waiting and will end up arresting him. Hell who knows , so many things dont add up, why not add one more to the mix...

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Very well said. This does not justify the death of a person. What could be done differently here in a country where we say we value life more?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Libertygal

I'm assuming you're talking about the witness friend of Michael Brown.
Of course there were other witnesses, the news reported 3 more so far.

Facts are coming in piece by piece, there needs to be a thorough investigation for any one of us to make a clear conclusion.

Is it possible that Michael Brown acted violently towards the police officer to make him react in such a way? Could be.
Could all the witnesses be lying or twisting the facts and an innocent officer is held up in the mix? Possible but doubtful.

Does whatever happen change the history of Mass accusations of police brutality throughout our country?
People are fed up and the people in Ferguson were charged when a teen of theirs is lying in the streets for about 4 hours, shot and dead. They reacted.

This info should have been released right away, before the tanks and snipers.

We won't know, until we know, when this is done. We can only guess.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
a reply to: Domo1

No problem.

One thing is for certain. The image created that this man was just a good college boy that would never hurt anyone is completely false, and he appears to be a punk. I have no pity for thieves.

But I do feel sorry for his mother. Not only has she lost her son, but she also has to see this video and come to the realization that he may have been a no good punk piece of crap.

The parents' statement was just released. Needless to say, they are extremely angry and bitter about this.

They claim it is an attempt to blame the victim.

Yes, the cop responded to the robbery call, and upon seeing the subject, and his size, should NOT have gotten out of his car. Right?

There was a call to a house, man with a gun. When the cop pulled up, he got out, and the man with the gun fired, killing the cop, but not before thebcop got off shots, too. The man with the gun lived.

The mother, when interviewed, told media that the cop saw her son with the gun, and should never have gotten out of the car.

Kind of like Zimmerman, too, right? He should not have gotten out of his truck.

How about the people that do bad things take personal responsiblity for their actions.

It's painful mom, but Michael wasn't the angel you thought he was.

Looks like he even punched a cop in the face. Maybe like he even tried to take his gun. Do you think he was just going to look at it and give it back? What would Michael have done with that gun, had he managed to get it?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
a reply to: kruphix

Very well said. This does not justify the death of a person. What could be done differently here in a country where we say we value life more?

No, robbing the store does not justify shooting Brown, but what happened after the officer stopped him could. We don't know.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I'm sorry if I came across the wrong way. You've made a lot of very good points.

I'm just tired of all of it, not just this tragic case, but all the countless preventable tragedies happening every day now. It has all taken a toll on me and made me very weary.

"Can't we all just get along?" comes to mind.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: synnergy

I'm assuming you're talking about the witness friend of Michael Brown.
Of course there were other witnesses, the news reported 3 more so far.

Facts are coming in piece by piece, there needs to be a thorough investigation for any one of us to make a clear conclusion.

Is it possible that Michael Brown acted violently towards the police officer to make him react in such a way? Could be.
Could all the witnesses be lying or twisting the facts and an innocent officer is held up in the mix? Possible but doubtful.

Does whatever happen change the history of Mass accusations of police brutality throughout our country?
People are fed up and the people in Ferguson were charged when a teen of theirs is lying in the streets for about 4 hours, shot and dead. They reacted.

This info should have been released right away, before the tanks and snipers.

We won't know, until we know, when this is done. We can only guess.

Actually it is very possible that the other witnesses could be lying outright, omitting details or just parroting what Johnson said. Why would they? Distrust of law enforcement, run-in's with the officer themselves or just backing up someone they know, Johnson. This could be a close community where most people know each other...

There are many reasons why people would lie, it happens all the time.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join