It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now there’s a website to find out if someone died in your house

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
A website has been launched in the US where householders and renters can check whether someone has died in their home.

The site Diedinhouse.com allows residents to enter their home address and discover whether someone died inside and under what circumstances.

Such was the case of Catrina McGhaw, the Missouri woman who only upon watching a documentary on a St. Luis serial killer did she realize that she was renting out that man's former torture chamber. The home's current owner, who at first refused to let her off her lease, was then revealed to be the killer's own mother.

"That dude's mother did not want her off the lease until she got pressured," said Condrey of the woman's once binding situation. "I tell people, I'm not trying to persuade you how to feel about that, I'm just saying you have a right to know."

The service is only available in the US but is believed to be expanding further afield soon. To be honest I don't think I would want to know, what you don't know cant hurt right? I would get pretty spooked tho if I was watching a documentary about a serial killer only to find I lived in his house like the lady mentioned above, eeeek!

link

wasn't quite sure where to post this so feel free to move it mods.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Lady_Tuatha

I just heard the commercial while listening to C2C. "That was odd", I thought.

But chances are, the people that started this up will make some money off it. People are always curious.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   

I think I would be more likely to rent or (in the event of a lottery win or something) buy a property with a dark past. Do not get me wrong, I am not a ghoul, or some sort of medium. However, a property with a shadowed past tends to get left alone. It is the one which receives the least junk mail, the one which is least likely to receive a visit from the local chapters of the Jehovahs Witnesses, or Mormons.

The other thing is, if it has a dodgy past, then there is a greater chance for bargaining where price is concerned. A horrific incident in the property is some hell of a lever to apply to a house seller, or landlord.

Another benefit would be, as in the case of the woman who had inadvertently rented a serial killers torture room, it would make for some brutal inspiration for black metal bass guitar riffs, and God knows I could use some more of that!
In all seriousness though, one of the main reasons that I think it would be better to live in such a place, is that it is a greater victory for goodness and light, to conquer a place filled with shadow, than to remain only in places which are already illuminated.
edit on 15-8-2014 by TrueBrit because: Grammar edit.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Apparently it can have a stigmatizing effect on a property and can depreciate the value of the home by 25% or more. Or take 50% or longer to sell, but yeah that's a good thing if you are looking to buy and keep the property I suppose.

Downside I suppose would be having teenage kids daring each other to walk up your garden path at night lol, you could have some fun with that tho

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Why should she be let off the lease, she had no problems living there, but she finds out people died there and suddenly she cant liev there anymore.
Why should landlords be inconvinienced because some people have mental health issues.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Excuse the pun but that will cool the housing markets! The older the property, the more dead, the less desirable. Ouch!!!
This needs to be banned or it will eventually impact the market for sure. When you consider that half of folk die at home!
Superstitious poop, however, people believe in it!

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
It was my understanding that when you bought a house that kind of information is supposed to be disclosed anyway?? At least in some states. In some states anything that could potentially cause the buyer to consider not buying the house should be disclosed. There have been people that have bought houses only to find out some kind of grisly murder went on there and they have been let out of their contract and their payments returned.

The guy that owned my house previously died in here and wasn't found for almost a week. We didn't know when we bought it, but found out several months later. It was unsettling at first (that he was dead in here for so long more so than dying itself) but the deal was so good we couldn't really complain.

I could not find a list of the states that require this disclosure, but I did find this...

gizmodo.com...

www.legalzoom.com...

It's not much, but it let me know I wasn't crazy thinking I had heard about this before lol.
edit on 8/15/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   
No bid deal. I have a Victorian and know at least seven people died in the house since it was built ranging from infants all the way to someone in their nineties. I even have a picture with someone laid out in the front parlor for a wake.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   

I know I'm a dinosaur, but anyone who as a pup could
wear a poppy for a boutonniere is aces. Terry on the left..
Ian on the tight right from Priest. Can't go wrong.
Tony's good too, Man o'War but impossibly quick.

BACK TO THE THREAD
But if I was jingling in the pockets enough to move somewhere with character...

Vlad's old digs! I heard it listed for only 4 1/2 MegaEuros.
A fixer-upper of sorts, but lotsa mojo. I need another scraper here..ugh

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   

It's $11.95 per search. You can get a bulk discount if you buy 3 searches.
It's a cool idea and might make a little money. I just don't want to know that bad.
I'll just ask the ghosts.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: derfreebie

Hey... where music is concerned, older usually means better. Do not get me wrong, there are some massive moves being made in extreme metal, and I am loving that, but some of the older bands have an impossible magic to them, which many modern acts cannot replicate or even give a nod to without coming across as fake.

With regard to Lady_Tuathas last reply...

Teenage kids wandering up the garden path, would be greeted at the door by the mad looking bugger in my avatar. I think, judging from the response I get when answering the door at my current address (which has no history of death or violence what so ever), the chances are that they would stop daring one another to access the property in fairly short order

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

It's $11.95 per search. You can get a bulk discount if you buy 3 searches.
It's a cool idea and might make a little money. I just don't want to know that bad.
I'll just ask the ghosts.

There are people that will no doubt eat that up, but that is absolutely an insane ripoff!! If you want to know that bad, you can usually find out at your local courthouse for free.

I guess some might consider it a bargain and maybe I feel like it's a ripoff because I don't have a ton of money to waste. What is funny though is imagining how many people will pay good money to find out only to lose sleep from fear after they find out.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
...judging from the response I get when answering the door at my current address (which has no history of death or violence what so ever)...

No history....yet.

Give it a chance it is only the afternoon there.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
A death in the house is not necessarily dodgy or dark. Grandma dies in her sleep. Grandpa has a fatal stroke. You don't need to be reminded that everyone dies. Most deaths are not dodgy or dark. People die at home every single day.

Just not getting the value or need for this website. It's stupid.

As far as the serial killers mother, now that sounds dodgy to me. Certainly it would be the exception not the rule.
TrueBrit

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
A death in the house is not necessarily dodgy or dark. Grandma dies in her sleep. Grandpa has a fatal stroke.

Exactly! Wife 'falls' down the stairs. Things happen.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

BAN a site because it would better inform people of what they're buying?
And it's everyone's right to believe whatever they want, no matter others opinion.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That true, it is early yet...

*sharpens hammer*

Yes... you read that right.

a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Well, you have the right of the matter there, but I think the circumstances of a death are not as important to some people as the fact of one having occurred at all on the premises. I know it is ridiculous, but some people are just terrified by the things which remind them of their mortality. Personally speaking, I like to be reminded that at some point I too will return to the dust. It gives me a comforting sense of the reality of my importance, or lack there of, in the greater scheme of things.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

20/20 or Dateline recently did a piece where they said in our current culture with the popularity of the supernatural and "ghost hunting" in particular many markets are seeing storied or supposedly haunted homes carrying a premium.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Josephus

Really?

Well thats a turn up for the books! That turns many years of real estates unwritten laws right on its head! I do not believe that such trends have passed across the sea yet, but I suppose it is only a matter of time before that sort of thing becomes the norm here too!

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I have never understood the ghost hunting infatuation with 'so and so died here'.
We all have to die sometime, and we all have to die somewhere.
Why do they assume the spirit automatically stays where they died?
Geesh.
Not worth $12 to me to find out

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join