It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it fair to criticise Robin Williams?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Everything I have read about Robin Williams tells me he was a wonderful person. The reports of his death by people who knew him tell this story.

But is there another side to the story of his tragic death. Maybe.

He had early stage parkinsons, he suffered from long term depression, and he was getting old.

But after cutting his wrists in an failed attempt to end his life, he then chose to end his life using a belt and a door. He must have known it was possible his wife would walk into the room and discover his hanging body.

I have to say that I am sad he made this choice because I cannot imagine a level of depression that would permit the possibility that our partner that we love could walk into a room and see her partner hanging from a door.

Maybe I am not understanding something. Could Robin have exited in a way to be less painful for his wife. I think so.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

I have to admit, I'm angry at him too. Never again will I see his brilliant work in the same way.

Yes, I know he was mentally ill. Yes, I know people with severe depression are often ignored. Yes, I know it's not right to judge these situations from afar.

But I'm still mad about it.

The world is a little less wonderful without him....and that pisses me off.

edit on 15-8-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Only one sure way to kill yourself and that is jumping off a great height. Pills can not work and leave you with a worse life than before a gun to the head is not a perfect way to kill youself either.
None are pretty, in my work I have seen two people kill themselves ine by hanging and one jumped through a open window to fall to her death
It is horrid for anyone finding a person whom committed suicide no matter what way but hanging to me is one of the less gory.
I wonder if he left a note?.
Anyhow I don't blame robin for what he did I blame his illness.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Sometimes people feel trapped. As if there is no other way, especially after x amount of years. Eventually they get to the point where it's just not worth fighting anymore, so the guilt of putting loved ones the that pain is not enough to keep them going anymore.

As for the method, I don't think it was planned at that specific time, maybe it just crept up on him that day. I think it was probably the easiest way, easy enough to keep him from changing his mind and having to feel the dread of continuing on another day or having the guilt change his mind.

I think, what he would have wanted is not for the ones he loved to be sad and remembered as a tragic ending, but to be remembered by the good memories and for them to move on with their own lives.

Of course, it's never that easy. But I do hope his family can find some sense of closure.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

I know
I generally aren't to fussed about celebrity's but this one hurt.
I have watched good morning Vietnam and hours of mork and mindy since his death and boy he is one of a kibd and we will never see anyone like him afain
But on a good note I think his death will save others becayse it has brought mental wellbeing into tge public eye.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Everytime I have seen him, in an interview or what have you, he seemed like he was psychotic and jacked up on coke. He could never be serious for 1 second. He is the type that if I saw him in public, I would be worried, not knowing if he was having a seizure or what. He was an odd ball. Add/dd/dd/dddddcu? Whatever disorder is popular now.
Firepiston

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Q- is it fair to citisise mr Williams ?

A - yes

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Any time someone takes their own life it is fair to question their actions. ESPECIALLY when they have loved ones like children or spouses, parents, etc.

It's also acceptable to question society, and why they only care about suicide victims when they are celebrities.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Anyone else hate typing on a phone I got fat fingers lol.
Soory for thw typos folks.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   

I have had schizophrenia for 17 years,10 percent with my condition commit suicide Ive been to places and down holes deeper than Mr Williams worst drug haze could ever conjure up,yes I undertand depression can make you suicidal if you are weak,Shepard Smith was correct he took the easy way out and left behind a bloody mess-selfish at the minimum yes you can critisize him .

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I have to say. I feel sorry for his and his family but EMOUGH already. The world is going to hell in a hand basket, and every time I open my home page is about hi, or the trash Kardashians. I am sick of it.

Lots of people commit suicide everyday. I have felt rapped in my life too, and would never think of doing such a thing if you love anyone in your family. I personally think suicide is the highest point of selfishness and corward-ish.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Rw went through a whole lot of effort to kill himself. Whatever problems he had, uncertainty and lack of determination weren't there.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Of course it's fair.....

It's ok to criticize someone else when you are perfect and have no issues, problems, sexual fetishes or mental illnesses.

Who fits that description?

What is it they say about living in glass houses??? /sarcasm

I don't care what he may have been doing when he died or why he did it.......really could care less.

The bottom line is while he was here he made people laugh and lightened the load of life just a little with his wit.

I for one will miss his gift.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Guys, you do have a point, but its a point for a person whose mind is working logically at the time of the act.

Poor Robin Williams suffered depression, its a word bandied about way too lightly today. Depression is a mental illness when your faculties are not operating normally and are malfunctioning. In the past many referred to feeling 'blue' rather than depressed. It was the perfect term, the blue stage when one looses something one loves etc and is very, very sad but still functioning normally. Its the stage before the depth of blackness that engulfs a depressive.

Don' be angry with such a brilliant man and I also saw on the tv that his wife didn't bare him any il feeling for the way he died, so perhaps we should not either under these circumstances.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors in their private home. The reports say she last saw him at 10:30 pm, then left early in the morning , thought he was asleep. I do not think they were sleeping in the same room, or she would see him in bed asleep, and know. So he must have known she left and would not be the one to discover him.

So no it's not fair to criticize him for that, regarding his wife. Perhaps they fought the night before?

He was in a desperate state of mind obviously and thus not really thinking about who would find him.
He wanted to exit this life and at that point he really doesn't have a choice about who finds him. He knows he will be found. He sees no other way out of his pain.

I think we need to wait to find out more details.

Let him rest in peace.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Cosmology

Coward? It's the bravest thing one can do. Think about that.

It's not selfish either. He wasn't thinking clearly. His thoughts distorted. Do you honestly think anyone wants to deliberately hurt their family, because they don't. At some point a suicidal person thinks ' I can't keep not wanting to die because society says it's taboo'.

I'm not condoning it , just trying to see it through their eyes.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   
We aren't his family, so let's mind our own business.
Nobody knows how he truly felt. How difficult it was

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Is it "fair" to criticize him? I'm not sure what that means, but I would answer yes. Sure, it's fair to criticize anyone for anything.

I do NOT criticize him at all. It's HIS life. He was a genius in his field. I LOVE his movies and if he thought it was time to go, that's 100% his choice, IMO. I will miss him and I am sad, but it doesn't really matter how I feel.

His wife did not find him. His assistant did.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: violet Yes a coward for not confronting his issues head on. If everyone had the excuse as you say, the PTB would not need to kill anyone. We all would be dead anyway.

A brave person continues to plow along.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
His wife did not find him. But she could have.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join